Microsoft Street and Trips

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by KGB0911, Dec 28, 2008.

1. KGB0911

KGB0911 Light Load Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Waterloo, Iowa
    I bought Microsoft's Street and Trips software with GPS over the Christmas holiday, and seem to be having problems with it, and was wondering if anybody else had the same problem?

I've installed the software, i've configured my GPS, and i've driven across half of iowa, and my GPS still cannot find a satellite. I go into the route planner, i've input a starting address and my final drop address, then click to process the route and get directions. All my program does is say "proceed to route..." and cuts off because it is looking for a satellite.

can anyone help with some advice if you've owned or if you own this product?? i've read the instructions, but dont seem to be working. Maybe i've got a bad GPS unit. i dunno.....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Is your GPS inserted into a USB port?

Is the port recognized?

Did you go to the GPS Task Pane and turn on your GPS?

Look for the icon that looks like a blue circle around a red pyramid.

4. KGB0911

Dec 13, 2008
    Waterloo, Iowa

It is plugged into a USB port. The port is recognized. I went to task pane and configured the GPS. the GPS when plugged into the USB port has a blue light from it. i can only assume that when you plug it in, and configure the GPS, that it is "on"...yes?

I have it mounted on a window, so it has clear view of the sky. I drove half way thru iowa, and i'm sitting just outside denver with clear night sky...and it still dont work. about to throw it out the window....

5. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    When you configure your GPS are you getting the pop-up window "GPS Receiver Settings"? Do you then press the [Scan] button? Do you get a confirmation of which port the GPS is using (typically COM3 or COM4)?

If you're going through all that and it still isn't working, then the only thing I can think of is a bad receiver. There is a forum (Google: Laptop GPS World) that may have a better answer for you.

6. KGB0911

Dec 13, 2008
    Waterloo, Iowa

well after spending another 50+ minutes on the phone with help desk, i found out that my GPS is bad. The guy had me download a GPSdiag program, and it was receiving data (i think) but it wasnt connecting to any satellites. So i think i am going to drop my trailer here at the Flyin' J, and run across the street and exchange this GPS for another one.

My computer had tried to put the GPS on COM12, but the guy had me switch it to COM2. Only COM1, COM2 and COM12 and higher were available. 3-11 were taken already.

oh, and i am going to take my laptop in, and hook it up right there, and if it dont work with a new GPS receiver, i'm asking for my money back.

7. KGB0911

Dec 13, 2008
    Waterloo, Iowa
    well, i found out my receiver was bad. The tech from Microhard, had me download this GPSdiag program, and found it was my receiver. I dropped my trailer, headed a mile away to Best Buy, and returned it. I plugged in the new GPS, and it didnt work. I was about to flip, then the guy said "well you might have to uninstall the original program, and re-register the new program with the new register number. I did, and it worked.

what a headache.....so now i will never get lost...right? :biggrin_255:

8. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    Next time try buying a quality product like DeLorme, instead of MicroCrap.

9. Waterloo

Waterloo Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Grass Lake, MI
    Get a Garmin Nuvi or similar unit. Stick it to your window or get the bean bag all purpose mount... And then forget about it! Been there, done that.

And the GPS units I saw the other day at Wally World were well under $200 bucks. In a few days they will be giving them away.

Mike

10. KGB0911

Dec 13, 2008
    Waterloo, Iowa
    well i would like to think it is quality, but not as GOOD as the quality you get with DeLorme. The TomTom/Garmin GPSs i saw at Wally world, were just about $110. Thought about buying one of those, but i wanted something with a huge screen....like my sony viao with just over 18" widescreen. Easier to see that, not to mention Streets/trips has a 'nighttime' map, that makes it easier to read the map at night.

Problem is no GPS out there is 100% reliable...even the Co-Pilot isnt 100%. Just figure for the price, S and T does the same thing as TomTom, and the screen is bigger. they both have their trade offs.

11. Waterloo

Waterloo Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Grass Lake, MI
    Here is the KICKER. Having an open and running laptop in your cab, within reach, is a ticketable offense. Get a portable unit, who cares who makes it, and use your head. Like calling the shipper and consignee for directions like we used to do out here. I can see my 4.3" Garmin just fine, and trust me, I need new glasses.

Navigation units are nice, I would not trade mine for the world, but... They do not take the place of good old common sense.

Mike

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.