Microsoft Street and Trips

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by KGB0911, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Wiseguywireless

Wiseguywireless Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Petoskey, MI
    I have the Truckers Download for Microsoft S&T So I use it for doing my Trip Planning and a broader view of the complete route. I then figure out the miles I need to go before stopping at the truck stop that shows up on my S&T plus I know where the Chicken coops are because they are there also. It has kept me off of a couple of roads because the Low overheads showed up. Yes I like my S&T but while on the road, I transfer the info over to my Tom Tom and that is what runs while I am driving, Expessally at night. cause even with the night view, the computer is just to big! and Bright.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 07-379Pete

07-379Pete Crusty Commando-Pete

Oct 3, 2008
    Campbellsville, Ky
    I updated my Microsoft S&T 05 to the new 09 with GPS. Gotta say the GPS was not the sellng point in this as this is the first GPS of anykind that I have owned. I use S&T to do my logs on DDL. After 25+ years of drving I find using this alot easyer than using a map for more detailed streets in citys and rural routes. I would rather see my planed out route that to have something like a TomTom telling me what to do. The one thing I do like about the GPS is if you use it while driving and leavin it on till you get to where you are going you can save that map with the route you took.

Now with all the being said I cant understand why Microsoft street and Trips cant put Fort Knox in Hardin/Bullitt county Ky.....Its not in rural Nelson County. LOL

4. dynosaur

dynosaur Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Another option "might" be to get an external monitor. I saw on that was like 7", which would be comparable to a GPS unit. I know nothing about pricing, features, or availability. Just an option you may want to consider.

5. imasaluki

imasaluki Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2008
    I use my laptop running Microsoft Streets & Trips 09 w/ GPS along with the Truck Stop Plus 09 update. It's the slickest tool I've ever used for trucking. To be honest, I'm always skeptical because it works so well! I bought a used CyberTrucker laptop stand and I can honestly say I am 100% happy with this setup. I only have the laptop open when I need to see what's going on, so 90% of the time it's closed going down the road. It is great to be able to see all the streets around you when you're heading into a shipper and a consignee or when trying to compare directions given by the company to MS S&T before heading in. This thing has cut the anxiety and headache out of trucking by at least 50%. You'll always have the other 50% that no technology will ever fix! :)

And I have never had a problem with law enforcement or company safety on this... to be honest, I'd say you're a fool if you had this technology avaiable to you and didn't use it. It's a serious money and time saver assuming you're able to use a computer.

6. MrMustard

MrMustard Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio
    Tom-tom has a GPS unit out for less than $100. Wouldn't that be easier than purchasing a $300 laptop stand? Personally I don't want my laptop up front. I don't want to advertise to some crack head walking through the truckstop at 3 am that I have one.

7. imasaluki

imasaluki Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2008
    The capabilities of S&T aren't comparable to Tom-Tom. To each his own I guess. I didn't pay $300 for the stand.

8. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    What are the limits on this software,can it be installed in more then one machine,updateable etc ?
    Never needed anything but a Trucking Atlas to get around just fine,but I think Old School needs to hook up with New School :biggrin_25523:

9. imasaluki

imasaluki Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Yes, you can install MS S&T on more than one machine since you have the product activation ID when you purchase it. A new version comes out every year and you can just upgrade your current version to the next year. Same thing for the Truck Stops Plus... it's about $39 and it is used with MS S&T.

10. Marvin

Marvin Bobtail Member

Oct 24, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    This past week a new version of Streets & Trips 2010 released. Some of the improvements include:

• Import/export GPX files
    • Hide/show pushpin sets
    • Hide/show pushpin info balloons
    • Drivers see remaining driving time, distance to next stop, and distance to destination
    • Easy way to save custom map
    • Plan in S&T, then export to PND
    • Automatic mute of Windows Media Player while S&T gives verbal instructions
    • Highway exit search

11. elyga73

elyga73 Bobtail Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Agawam,MA
    I have TOM TOM ONE,can I transfer the info from Microsoft S&T or Truck
    Stop Plus?

Thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.