Mike's Book Club: The Legend of Werner Enterprises 1956-2002

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Shep Shiloh

Shep Shiloh Medium Load Member

Feb 12, 2008
    IN
    I have no idea. I Googled "LTCL Southern Pacific" and that is what I got.

Mike2633 and Mike_77 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mike_77

Mike_77 Medium Load Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Obviously I'm not very knowledgeable about rail industry terminology, so I did some more poking around on google and discovered the term LCL (Less Than Carload). LCL seems to be more commonly used in online railroad communities.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  4. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    LCL was popular pre-interstate, every depot had a clerk and the train was the package/LTL of the time.

There are also still "team tracks" which are sidings for multiple customers to load/unload rail cars. Some of those cars may have multiple loads and be LCL, but I doubt it.

I don't know what to call Triple Crown.

Mike2633 and Mike_77 Thank this.
  5. Mike_77

Mike_77 Medium Load Member

Sep 23, 2017
    IMG_9844.jpg IMG_9837.JPG
    Did Southern Pacifics LTL trucking operations work with their LCL operations? To get back to my original question; was SP the only railroad company to have LTL trucking operations?

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  6. Shep Shiloh

Shep Shiloh Medium Load Member

Feb 12, 2008
    IN
    At one time SP also hauled new cars until they sold that part to Jack Cooper. Here. Also has some tidbits pertaining to them owning Pacer.

Mike_77 and Mike2633 Thank this.
  7. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    There was a video posted on here showing SP trucks loading from boxcars, including furniture pieces.

I remember PRR trucks from my younger days in PA, and later Penn Central ones. But I don't know what they hauled. If you do a search for the major players and add trucking you're likely to find something...

[​IMG]

8. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    I'll be back tomorrow guys. I got sidetracked today, trying to make a cardboard cut out model of the East 200th and Tracy Ave Dairy Queen.

Mike_77 and Rollr4872 Thank this.
  9. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    [​IMG]

Hi guys had a busy night last night took me all night to put that building together, mainly because I didn't understand the directions for the roof and it took a lot of machining and other crap to get the roof to fit lol.

Any, how with all that water over the bridge I've got some time to do some other stuff.

So without further ado it's time for Thread with in a Thread

G.O.D. Trucking
    [​IMG]

Guaranteed
    Overnight
    Delivery

Was a prolific east coast LTL operation that was big in the 1990s and early 2000s. They went out of business in 2004.
    [​IMG]

G.O.D. Trucking was based out of North New Work, New Jersey. It was formed in 1982 and was a privately held company carrying LTL on the east coast. They did make it to Ohio, because I remember seeing there trucks on the road.

There is not a lot of information on G.O.D trucking basically they came they grew somewhat and the did okay for 22 years and then the owner of the company, got caught with his pants down literally. He was having an ellicit sexual affair with some female secretary or something and his wife got wind of this and decided that she was going to get the gold mine and her husband was going to get the shaft. So she took the gold mine and he got the shaft which I guess he had it coming. The judge gave her G.O.D. trucking she sold off all the trucks, trailers, converter dollies and terminals and that was the end of G.O.D. trucking.

Now she's living high on the hog and her ex-husband is working 3 jobs and eating baloney and Tootise McFootsie is long gone, because "This was only fun when you were rich and owned the company now that you're poor and broke this isn't fun anymore I'm out."

Which by the way, usually relationships that start with an affair or are an affair typically don't end up working out in the end, that's a real good way to end up screwing you're self. Just ask the owner of G.O.D. trucking he will tell you whoever he is.

Now fleet owner said that G.O.D. trucking pulled out of the LTL world because the North East was to competitive, but G.O.D. trucking was a private held company and even when Fleet Owner contacted G.O.D. trucking to ask why they were pulling out of the North East, G.O.D. trucking was not able to supply G.O.D. trucking with a real answer/no comment which tells me the divorce story above is true. Plus I read that they went out of business because of a divorce before over the years and heard it from a couple different places.

Anyhow, that's the story of G.O.D. trucking. Boy that was short one.

10. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
  11. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Tremendous Tune!

Mike_77 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.