Mike's Book Club: The Legend of Werner Enterprises 1956-2002

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Mar 11, 2018.

1. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Coast to Coast AM w. George Noory.... So bat-#### crazy you couldn't help but try to chase the show on the dial when the signal would start to fade. Lol. Bring a tinfoil hat!!!

And thanks for the love, Mikey. :)

20180421_142059.png

4mer trucker and bzinger Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    I have a spot for you're building on the actual layout just allocated the property for it right now.

KillingTime Thanks this.
  4. Shep Shiloh

Shep Shiloh Medium Load Member

Feb 12, 2008
    IN
    Or if you have Sirius you can find Coast to Coast on Road Dog Ch. 146.

Mike2633 and Mike_77 Thank this.
  5. Mike_77

Mike_77 Medium Load Member

Sep 23, 2017

I remember scanning the am dial listening to the founder of Coast to Coast am back in the day.
    IMG_9864.JPG

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    KillingTime, bzinger and Mike2633 Thank this.
  6. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    I was listening to AM terrestrial radio last Saturday night and Caravan to Midnight said Art Bell died on Friday the 13th he was in his 70s.

bzinger and Mike_77 Thank this.
  7. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    There is more wisdom in this one sentence than most people can comprehend. Guys and gals, meditate on this before you let your junk do the thinking for you.

8. Mike_77

Sep 23, 2017
    On my night line run my listening revolves around iTunes music and podcasts these days. Every once in awhile I will tune into AM terrestrial radio for old times sake, it's not like it use to be. A few shows from the golden era of AM radio I use to scan for other than Art Bell was :

IRN (interstate radio network)
    Trucking Bozo
    Bruce Williams show
    Love Line with Adam Corrolla

Below is a page from a old truckers atlas I have which lists the various 50,000 watt "clear channel radio stations" around the country. Back in the day this page was very useful in unfamiliar areas when trying to find a signal that would last for more than 40 miles.
    IMG_9863.JPG

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Reason for edit: added picture
  9. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    WTAM in Cleveland doesn't even bother to advertise 50,000 Watts anymore. Hell WTAM used to be 50 states and half of Canada at night, but not any more. They turned there transmitter down. I know they have. Any more terrestrial radio is weak and not what it used to be, it's mostly commercials and they turned the signal way down. FM radio for the most part is a flaming joke. All the new good new music comes out on Satellite first and FM is far behind. We have this joke of an Alternative Radio Station here in Cleveland 99X that has like a 5 Watt transmitter that literally broadcasts the west side of the Cleveland and the minute you cross the Valley View Bridge and hit the east side the signal drops it's the biggest joke you ever saw.

Is Love Lines even on anymore I thought that show bit the dust around 2008?

I know there's an AM radio station here in Cleveland another one down the dial from WTAM that for a fact turns there transmitter down at 01:30am because Friday night I was working in my basement, and I had them on and they were coming in alright and then around 01:30am pffffffftttttttt the signal just dropped like a rock and they were coming in, but it was fuzzy and real static.

I guess for some reason these places figured it was cheaper to turn the transmitter down, but not turn it off and not broadcast dead air. We talked about this in my other thread, and it's the reason my avatar is the test pattern. TV stations back in the day used to just sign off, but it cost them money to run the transmitter and just broadcast dead air which is almost what the test pattern is. So they went to broadcasting paid programing late at night,but this is still a new thing because as late as the early 1990s TV stations were still signing off. Now that's all a thing of the past now because 2008-2009 analog TV went away the government sold there broadcasting frequencies away from them and forced everyone to go Cable, Satellite or Digital Converter Box which is a waste.

I was at Great Lakes Cheese last summer picking up a load with the 50ft and I was there early in the morning and I saw a trucker who he had a flat screen TV mounted in his sleeper and he must have had a satellite TV feed from it somewhere. It was early in the morning and I was walking back to my truck because they gave me a dock to go into and he had his curtains open and I could see through the windshield he had the TV and I thought, oh that's kind of cool.

Ruthless and Mike_77 Thank this.
  10. Mike_77

Sep 23, 2017
    I don't know, on the rare occasion I tune into AM/FM it's usually on the AM side in search of a talk show to listen to, I seem to recall that show being aired on FM rock and pop type stations.With that being said I haven't heard love line in a long time, I know Adam has a popular podcast.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  11. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Hi guys, just got home from work right now. I was like Mike_77 out there I was working overnight we had a guy call off at quarter to five Sunday afternoon and I covered his run overnight. He run's a volume route that consists of going to the warehouse swapping an empty 50ft for a loaded one with 2 hospital stops and then this big involved back haul with multiple P.O.s at a local cheese company. So all night driving and 2 stops that are kind of annoying, but not really that bad and then 3hours at a back haul that has this stupid dock where you have to be like right perfect in because they have a stupid dock plate system. It's not hard stuff, but it's a lot of Jacking around. Anyhow the place we back haul out of is a pretty big cheese manufacturer they ship all over, but there plant isn't all that big and they only have like 6 doors and 4 of them are filled with rental trailers that I know they use for storage. When there warehouse is full they load the rental trailers and just jocky them around there small yard. They do have there own truck fleet I think they have 1 day cab and 2 sleeper cabs nice fleet of trucks Freightliner Cascadia's black real clean looking well maintained.

Anyhow so of course my companies order had 6 different P.O.s and the biggest one the cheese company didn't get, so that was an hour wasted while all that got straightened out. Then another hour getting loaded. Driving there was a pain they are doing road construction on a section of road and I had to make a right hand turn because I went the wrong way and couldn't button hook out traffic was to heavy. Good goodness I barely made it around that corner with the 50ft trailer it was close real close between me and a light pool. I made it, but just by the hair on my chinny chin chin.

Anyhow got to the cheese plant right on time at 7am in fact there's a box company that delivers there every Monday morning they get there before us, but we usually get there around the same time and there driver I've seen him there before, said to me "You, guys are like us, you guys are here every Monday like clock work at 7:00am right on the dot."

Which we are we do run like a Swiss watch believe it or not. There was a while on my old Wednesday route where the one stop I had you could set you're watch by us I was there at 07:30am every week. Anyhow that's all.

4mer trucker and Mike_77 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.