mild clunking noise at idle from tranny area

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by jeffl0123, Apr 18, 2021.

1. jeffl0123

jeffl0123 Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Hey guys
    wondering what you guys thought. I have been hearing a not heavy but many mild clunking noise coming from the tranny area at idle. And yesterday while fueling up with truck idling, it was happening on a more regular basis. In the past maybe 1 or 2 times every minute but yesterday it was several times a minute at the last couple minutes of fueling up. I don't seem to notice it when I am driving. I have not tried to see if it dissappears when I depress the clutch but since I am going to do a PM on it today, I am going to try it. Could this be a Pilot or Throwout bearing? I was under the impression that a bad Pilot will make more towards a whine than a clunk. Let me know you thoughts. Also did not know if an output shaft bearing could also be a culprit but was doubting that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Most likely not a pilot bearing. It only turns when the clutch pedal is pushed in.

bzinger and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  4. jeffl0123

jeffl0123 Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Yep had my nephew come over and push the clutch in while idling while I was underneath and it made a hell of a noise when he depressed it so sounds like that is it.

5. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Try greasing throw out bearing(clutch release bearing) sounds like service intervals have been stretched and or it hasn’t been getting greased regularly

shatteredsquare and baha Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.