Military Veteran, Seeking Non-stop Work.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BuffDavid, Jan 6, 2018.

1. BuffDavid

BuffDavid Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2018
    I am currently Active Duty Military, but as soon as my contract is up I want to get into Truck Driving. From a Beginner's Point of view, there are a few companies that have peaked my interest. Mostly due to the fact that they either start rookies at a high rate...or they promise plenty of miles to make up the big bucks. I have no family to 'come home to', so I plan to drive and drive and drive and drive....
    Are there ways to get more out of a job? What are the best conpanies to start out at, that will allow me to work the most and make the most money? Any insight would be appreciated.

EDIT: I will be in Dallas, TX as my home of record,but like I said....I want to stay on the road. I made around 42k a year in the Military...my goal is to make more....much more. I hated not being paid for my performance in the Military, all you get is a pat in the back and a nice evaluation write up. Putting in the extra hours and sweating it out more than others did nothing for you directly...just became the 'go to guy'. I am ready to work my ### off, but get paid in return.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Reason for edit: Missing Info.
    VTech and scottied67 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BuffDavid

BuffDavid Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2018
    As of right now, I have researched many companies...and came up with a 'final' top 3....but maybe I just don't know if there are better starting companies out there.

#1 TMC seems like a good company. Offering percentage pay rather than cents per mile. However, the continuous bad reviews about there being no APUs to keep the cabin at Humane temperatures so you can sleep during your mandatory rest times seems like a turn off.

#2 US Xpress promises to pay you as a 2 year experienced driver from the Start! Being prior military that is... However, they don't ever mention what this 'Accelerated Rate' is. What if it's under .40 a mile and I could be making better cash elsewhere? Also, I hear that their beloved "Team Driving" is amazing pay....but some reviews say the miles arent there?? I'd need to know more about this. Especially the Team Truck pay....since the earnings are split.

#3 Melton Truck Lines. Well... Melton seems to be VERY Transparent. They give you rates up front, progression rates up front, benefits layout, equipment layout and even go as far as to say that your initial training weeks will be paid at a MINIMUM of $850 a week. Everything here sounds perfect. Even the Starting No experience rates seem crazy good from what I've researched....but what I also see is that some people don't seem to be getting the miles they need? Anyone know if they could keep my occupied running 3000+ miles a week? Or should I trust US Xpress to provide with their Team MAX miles?

I need input guys....anything helps.

4. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Dont run team unless you like the smell of another person's privates.

5. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Welcome to TTR. Thank you for your service, ooohrah semper fi devil dog.

Starting out the pay will be so-so. Safety and time are the biggest stepping stones to that higher pay. The next stepping stone would be specialties like graduating up from van to reefer to flatbed to oversize or going into tanker type work.

@Chinatown is our inhouse go-to guy for people looking to start out in trucking or to move on to bigger and better trucking gigs.

BuffDavid Thanks this.
  6. BuffDavid

BuffDavid Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2018
    I did hear flatbed/oversize and tanker is where the money is at. Which is why I figured I'd start at Melton Truck Lines. They Start at .43 CPM after the initial training months. All they do is flatbed. If there are better companies to start with let me know, or if there are better companies to move to once i get some seat time. I'd appreciate the insight. I really do wanna make a living out on the road type of lifestyle. I am hungry and ready to take on a bigger challenge.

7. BuffDavid

BuffDavid Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2018
    Yeah, when I realized most teams out there are related or spouses, it made sense that It wasn't gonna be an option for me unless i found the perfect person. So as for now, I just want to find the best place to start and hopefully stay....unless theres better places to put in miles at.

8. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Tmc is a decent place to start out at as a veteran. Their structured system works well with drivers who like to work hard. Their benefits are lacking from the insurance stand point, but off you are willing to run the was they want you to run, you can make around 50k for your first full year. They run primarily easy of i35, after 2 years you can step up to their specialized side or hauling boats. Boats is a lot of sitting and waiting. @Highway Sailor ran there about the same time I did. Him and I have a similar outlook on TMC. They are a decent place to start, but once you got the hang of it, there are plenty of other places that pay better

BuffDavid and Highway Sailor Thank this.
  9. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    It's a shame you don't live within 75 miles of baton rouge, ive no doubt my company would consider taking you on after your cdl school. We need oversize drivers BAD down there

BuffDavid Thanks this.
  10. nite vision

nite vision Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Phenix City AL
    Use your GI Bill to pay for a community college , truck driver training course . Usually about a 8 week course , you should end up with a CDL with all attachments . Keep your options open , if you can work out of Huston , look up mckenzie tank lines , they will take you out of school if the school is approved . When I started I was not treated like a cherry driver , they will put you on the road if you want it .

BuffDavid and Dan.S Thank this.
  11. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Be sure to get your endorsements when you get your license. Tanker and Hazmat for sure. That will help in the money department. Good Luck !

BuffDavid Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.