Millis questions (NC location)

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Rockman86, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Rockman86

Rockman86 Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Hey guys, coming here because y'all seem pretty good about answering questions honestly without a bunch of flak like I've gotten from other places.

I'm considering going to school through Millis, they have signs all over my area and the school is right near my house. I just have a few questions because I don't want to get in trouble with DOT or waste a bunch of money and time (mine and the company's).

1. Does Millis do a UA screen or are they also doing hair testing now? I will pass the UA screen no problem but I have issues with the hair test because I've smoked pot a few times in the last couple of months.

2. Does filling a prescription for suboxone last March disqualify me with DOT? I was prescribed it by a doctor to ween me off pain pills that I got dependant on for several year (also through a doctor). I can't really get a straight answer about this. I also have admitted to drug use on my medical records in the past.

I'm clean now and just want to move on with my life, find a stable career, and see the country while doing it. I don't care about the cameras and aside from my problems with hydrocodone in the past and occasional use of pot I've always been a good worker. I passed a federal background check for my firearm license and a security gig in the past. I've never failed a drug test before.

Thanks for you time! :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rockman86

Rockman86 Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I forgot to add: I only used two of the suboxone pills and threw the rest in the trash. I'm no longer on it nor did I go through with treatment. It felt like a pill mill and they wanted me on the stuff for an entire year before they were willing to taper me off. I ended up quitting cold turkey and going through a month of hell but I haven't used opioids since March.

Smoking pot was stupid but one time was my birthday and another time was a day of hiking with a friend. I haven't smoked any in 30-40 days and plan on waiting a few more weeks before I start training.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Latest I've read, from Millis drivers that post on here, is they do urine test.
    Don't ever admit to using illegal drugs in the past or no company will hire you.
    You need to be clean for at least 90 days to pass the urine test, so wait until at least October before starting there.

5. Rockman86

Rockman86 Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Thanks! I don't plan on admitting drug use. I've only admitted it once during an ER visit which turned out to be a panic attack. I'm just paranoid that the long list of everything I tried as a teenager that I rattled off to a doctor while in a panic might come back to bite me. I went through a phase of going to festivals and taking drugs like a lot of folks.

Want nothing to do with it now. Just afraid that I'll fail the test and never be able to drive. I'll wait a few more months then get started. Wish me luck.

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Sure, good luck. Millis is a good outfit and you'll make decent money there.
    Don't let Millis or any doctor trick you into admitting you've ever smoked weed or used any other drug.
    The DOT doctor that does your physical won't have access to any past medical records.

7. Rockman86

Rockman86 Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2018
    DOT exams don't look at past medical records? I'm reading a lot of posts from folks that signed waivers so I just want to confirm. I believe your word I'm just really paranoid about it considering I entered a opioid recovery program at one point and have prior drug history due to that ER visit.

Also I see they ask about concussions during the exam. I was treated for one 17 years ago due to wrecking my dirt bike. Should I keep that to myself to avoid them looking further into my background or should I just be honest about it?

Thanks for your time. I really need this job. It's either trucking or Burger King and I'd go insane flipping burgers.

8. Rockman86

Rockman86 Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Also (and sorry for double posting) I wanted to know what Millis policy is on having a fridge/laptop on the truck once I get my own. I'm a freelance computer programmer that contributes to several software projects. I know my time will be very limited on the road but it'd be nice to check in on my second family while I'm out there.

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I wouldn't tell any thing. Many of us have something in our past that we don't reveal.
    Remember, the person that asked a question that you answer that keeps you from being hired; that person couldn't care less; he still has a job and you don't. Ten minutes later, he doesn't even remember you. You walk away with no job and he simply moves on to the next application.

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I think Millis trucks already have refrigerator and the trucks also have APU for electrical power when the engine is shut off.
    best for their unique needs.
    Equipment
    Millis’ fleet is one of the newest, well-maintained on the road. All power units are equipped with the latest technology to ensure timely communication and accurate tracking. Drivers enjoy added amenities to stay comfortable on the road. All trucks come with Sirius Satellite Radio, a 24” flat screen TV and a subscription to DirecTV paid for by Millis.
    • Auto shift tractors with ABS braking and traction control
    • Speed governor set at 70 mph when driver meets safety requirements
    • Summit driver comfort seat
    • Refrigerator
    • Sirius Satellite Radio, 24” flat screen and DirecTV subscription paid for by Millis
    • Crank out vent windows in sleeper with screens
    • Dash mounted radio with weather band
    • Aluminum wheels
    • Touchless 5th wheel release
    • Customized storage capacity
    • Double bunks (upper and lower)
    • Power locks and windows

11. Rockman86

Rockman86 Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Yeah sir I understand and will keep that in mind. I'm just too honest and don't want something coming back and getting me fired. I guess I need to get into the mindstate that my past is the past and I should leave it there.

Thanks again you've put my mind at ease about a lot of things. I'm going to work on burning this THC out of my fat cells over the next month then I'll go apply and get started with training. Excited to finally get started and wish I would have turned down that pot now. I've wanted to drive a truck nearly all my life but life kept getting in the way. Thankfully, I'm now at a point in my life where being OTR isn't going to cause any issues back home.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.