Millis Transfer School Journey (Richfield Wi Starting 8/18/2014

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by CaptainDaveG, Aug 14, 2014.

1. RocketmAAn

RocketmAAn Bobtail Member

WOW. What a ride. Do you use a crock pot for cooking? or foil over the intake valves? LOL Finally, I have to think your look-way-ahead thinking from past experience on the waterways comes in handy in trucking as well. No more life boats, but if you spring a leak, you can't sink any lower than the rims. fairweather and clear horizons.

Impressions.
    Pluses
    Amount of driving you get BTW (Behind the Wheel), even if you had a full class.
    Once you start the trainer phase the pay is good ($72/day first 21 days, $78/day 22-35days, $86/day 36+) compared to many others.
    One of there pluses is suppossed to be dispatched solo during training, but I guess if you're far enough along, team dipatch gets you to 15K faster.
    Attitude, instructors, flexible pace or time to shore up weak spots.
    No experience starting pay seems pretty high, but $/mi is only part of equation, average miles and driving time needed to really get a handle on pay.
    Dispatch sounds good+ which seems to be one of biggest problems at other companies.
    Maintenance seems on point.
    The cameras, to me seem like a 98% positive deal. I would want some footage of what went down when something happened, because if I had to depend on an eye witness, that is notoriously inaccurate. Just pray that I don't get Seinfelded and there's an incident and the camera angle on the driver makes

Concerns.
    The extra $2,500 for the training phase was a shocker as I hadn't seen that from opther sources of info. Can't find reference to it on their web site. Disappointed it isn't prorated and scared that if I decide it's not for me during training phase, I'm on the hook for $4,500 after the initial $500 deposit. At that point, Roehl in Marshfield, WI at $2,800 TOTAL with only $185 in fees up front seems like a better choice for me. Roehl used to charge 375-400 for housing, but it appears they are now are not charging. From school accounts, they also put round trip expenses (driving, I think) to the school on your card when you start solo. Starting $/mi seems lower, so what's best for you.

Sleeping in top bunk while in motion. I thought most companies prohibited this. Seems a pain to swap your stuff in and out of lower bunk, but it's only for training and I would worry about what happens in an accident.

Personally, I'm worried about cash flow from Day 1 in class until first paycheck solo. So the 1 unpaid week between class end and trainer start would hurt. I realize the extra home time (11 days plus part of that week) OP had was great for him, but for every week I'm getting 5-600/wk gross training pay (or $0 when off), although a good rate, I'm not makin the bills and 9 weeks (10.5 weeks from class start to solo, minus unusual 11 days home time to be fair) is a long time. I think I like one company's training phase plan (Prime?) where you get some rate/mi (.14?) with a minimum gty $700 (5K team miles) and if you dispatch more, you get paid more (albeit at the $.14/mi, but 715 mi extra is a total $800/wk, during training!!! (and yeh more than makin the bills)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    kiwi23 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CaptainDaveG

CaptainDaveG Road Train Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    Here is what I can tell you, if you run your checks will be in the 750 to 1000.00 take home. My trainer worked for Roel wasnt impressed. I never get any hassle when I put in a home time request, heck over Thanksgiving I went to Las Vegas for a week not an issue at all. They did just give out a 10% raise. Sleeping in the top bunk is not fun, if you were in a bad crash I dont think things would have a good out come, you really dont sleep good up there, and the trainer is not giving you the bottom bunk. If you leave most places will give you a sign on bonus use that to pay Millis back. I get job offers every day.

Dave

4. WisconsinF150

WisconsinF150 Light Load Member

Dec 21, 2014
    What?

If in training, why would one of you be asleep???

When in training, if the wheels are rolling, you're suppose to be in the cab, not the sleeper.

You would never be able to sleep in the top bunk when rolling. It'd be so bouncy wou couldn't possibly sleep. As far as sleep in the bottom bunk .... ???? That's usually the instructor bunk and I can't imagine him wanting you to be sleeping in his bed, even if you change sheets.

5. WisconsinF150

WisconsinF150 Light Load Member

Dec 21, 2014
    If you need more money while in training see if your instructor and dispatcher will let you lump some loads. Lump means unload the trailer. It's hard work and these days your instructor may not want you to because you have to log that as on duty time. You also may not smell too nice afterward. :biggrin_25510:

Some places make it so hard to understand their unloading instructions that only a lumper service can unload.

6. CaptainDaveG

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    After the first week we pretty much operated as team drivers. So after driving my shift the top bunk was my place to sleep. Yep it was bumpy at times.

Dave

7. CaptainDaveG

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    At Millis we dont unload anything ever! We use the lumpers if needed

Dave

8. c64basic

c64basic Medium Load Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Frozen Tundra
    Captain - how much did the Millis school cost?

9. CaptainDaveG

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    School 2000 for the classroom they deduct 20.00 per week until paid, you must pay 500 up front. If youu do the OTR 15000 miles its another 2500 but that is forgiven if you stay for one year.

Dave

10. JackTheWhack

JackTheWhack Light Load Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Eagle River,Wisc
    Hello Captain Dave...

Another Captain here that went thru the Millis-Richfield school as well. I was a back-up captain for the Orient Point NY-Bridgeport Ct ferry across long isl sound for 25 yrs. Took an early retirement package out East and moved to NW Wisconsin.I stayed at Millis for ...1 year & a day. Nobody to this point has ever picked up my Capt's License #... on either the Millis application or others. I'm sure you'll agree...Operating a vessel is hell of lot more involved than driving a truck @80,000lbs. Having brakes on a truck is a big help...Huh. On the water.... Wind...Currents & Tides...create all kinds of havoc.
    I especially enjoyed Chris the instructor at MTI...He's from Western NY...so we hit it off well. I have nothing but all good to say regarding Millis. I had Marco for dispatch....ran me good ! You just have to realize...they are a training company only...and use the students for cheap labor. Which theres nothing wrong with that...Its how they operate. They have great equipt & lots of freight.I moved on and way up the pay scale. No more beer...scarp & finish paper loads for me. Don't miss that at all. PM me your info...would love to talk more with you ! Good Luck !

11. Johnleonard32568

Johnleonard32568 Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Hope you are willing to take a big pay cut. The life on the road of a trucker is not what it was a couple of years ago. If you have a masters license to a ship, you have a lot more possibilites to enrich your future.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.