Millis Transfer School Journey (Richfield Wi Starting 8/18/2014

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by CaptainDaveG, Aug 14, 2014.

1. CaptainDaveG

CaptainDaveG Road Train Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    Aug 22, 2014 Day 5 End of 1st Week!
    Yep it's Friday and some how the end of the first week is here. While there was some long days we can feel good about it being in the books. We spent an hour in the classroom with a 0600 start time. The bottom line is there are requirements for the classroom hours and you just have to put them in...then out to the range, practice everything 3 trucks going some doing double clutching others backing practice practice practice...100 percent seat time...At the end of the day just to make sure we didnt go into the weekend to ####y we did offset parking...its a timing and learned way, period. We all left wondering if we belonged here....except rockstar.

Dave

Be Safe Out There..

ArnettINK Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CaptainDaveG

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    Aug 25, 2014 Day 6 Start of Week 2
    We did have about 2 hours of home work to complete over the weekend. This morning it was back to the classroom for about 2 hours and then to the range...we spent 8 hours doing backing backing backing and were getting it slowly, but surely. We had to hold a few funerals for the orange barrels but thats the place to have it happen. Our insturctor Chris is very understanding, even standing in the rain. It was a really long day and I think I can speak for the 3 of us, sleep will feel great tonight. We all know being a driver is long days and sometimes it doesnt always go the way one wants ...sometimes "LESS is MORE and SLOWER is FASTER..

Dave

Be Safe Out There...

ArnettINK and dennisroc Thank this.
  4. dennisroc

dennisroc Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Anjung-Ri, South Korea
    What is the pay at Millis ?
    What type truck and transmissions ?

I appreciate you taking the time to post all of this..

5. CaptainDaveG

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    DennisRoc
    The fleet is alot of 680, some with auto trans. There pay is CLEARLY posted on the website. I dont know where you live but they dont seem to mind if you drive 50 or so mile to stop by home...hope this helps you.

Dave

Be Safe Out There..

dennisroc and ArnettINK Thank this.
  6. Rotorzilla

Rotorzilla Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2014
    This is great info thanks man! Keep up the post and good luck with the rest of school.
    I'm starting MTI on Sept 15 in NC and cant wait to get out there.

That guy that left, he left because he was floating the gears without doing double clutch?

Tony

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    ArnettINK Thanks this.
  7. CaptainDaveG

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    Roto,
    Your instructors were in out class the first week...great guys. No "R" left after the first real day in the truck...hey they all know everyone shifts different, but for school double clutching is the way..he snubed the truck and I guess felt he couldnt do it..IDK but there are lots of days you will feel like Im done...just sleep on it, and the next day you will do better,

Best of luck to you....

Dave

Be Safe Out There

Rotorzilla, dennisroc and ArnettINK Thank this.
  8. CaptainDaveG

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    Aug 26, 2014 Day 7 (Week 2)
    Let me start this post off with a sad note. I know I said I would not name names but we were informed today that Bill the instructor from OHIO, lost his son last night in a car accident. Its my understanding that Bill and his son were VERY close, and as a parent myself of kids the same age my heart goes out to him and his family. God Bless. Yes there is a class going on there right now, we as a class have said we would go there with our instructor if needed to finish. I do know the instructors from NC are there this week teaching the class with Bill looking them over so to speak. Bill has been an instructor for over 20 years.

Today was an hour of classroom and then out to backing, we now are in full mode backing offset, blind side, alley, etc. It does seem to be getting easier, and we are getting great seat time I would say today out of 8 hours of driving I spent 6 hours behind the wheel. After lunch we got a treat, we asked Chris if we could get off this "Circle Jerk" and go to the road...response.. Unhook the trailer and lets go...Now I am telling you...it is totally different out on the road, it all starts to apply and make you understand why we double clutch...so you can down shift, it was a much needed break from the sad news of the morning and we all did ok.

Tomorrow we are on the road quite a bit...until then study your pre trip...it will fail you on your CDL test.

Dave

Be Safe Out There..

ArnettINK and slim shady Thank this.
  9. Rotorzilla

Rotorzilla Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2014
    oh man I'm sorry to hear about the loss of Bill's son.

It would be handy if the trainers would make a pre trip video, so that those waiting to goto school and that are in school would have a reference to study. :)

ArnettINK and dennisroc Thank this.
  10. CaptainDaveG

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    Roto,
    Great point...every state is different on pretrip, but as of July 2015, you pass the school you are licensed. Period.

Until then best of luck.

Dave

Be Safe Out There..

dennisroc, Rotorzilla and ArnettINK Thank this.
  11. ArnettINK

ArnettINK Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2014
    Captain,

Thank you for all the post, I am glad to hear that I made a sound choice when searching for Company Paid Schooling. My plans fell through here in Indiana to go to a local trucking school. I did some major research before applying to any company and again I am thankful for your insight and what to expect. I start 9/15 in Richfield. Love to hear about the class sizes and the truck time sounds great. Let me say I have a little experience myself from back in the day driving and it sounds like you are taking to it like a fish does to water, keep up the good work and the post. Although to be honest I was a little taken back as to the in truck camera but totally get it. With all the bad press with driver did this and the driver did that, It's a nice feature to have when it wasn't your fault. Beside I am used to Big Brother looking over my shoulder in the field I am leaving to go back to driving truck. Again thanks for the updates keep them up. I hope more "Newbies" locate this website and do some real digging before choosing their companies. Be safe, and don't forget to check those mirrors.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.