Mini Freezer in the truck? Is it doable?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by anderst127, Feb 11, 2018.

1. anderst127

anderst127 Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2018
    I'm new to the industry, and actually haven't even begun school yet, however I'm doing the best I can to plan for a healthy lifestyle over the road. I have been looking into mini freezers (the ones that are about 1.1 cubic foot) as a step to implement a healthier diet. Basically, it's for frozen chicken and fish. Does anyone use a mini freezer? I've seen alot of people who use mini fridges, but just wondering if a mini freezer is common or used really at all by anyone.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    ENGEL -

It's about $700 - refrigerates and turns down to freeze if necessary.

Used one for over 10 years, faultless.

4. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    I’m also interested in an extra cooler or freezer. My hot logic lunch box works so good that I just want to go on a shopping spree for ready made foods.

Aamcotrans Thanks this.
  5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri

Every time I see that adorable little kitty behind the wheel I want to recommend it to state legislators as an alternative to 18 year olds driving big rigs.

That being said - check out those ENGEL units - made for the RV market, swing motor compressor thingy thing. Held up to LOADS of PUNISHMENT.

mhyn and IluvCATS Thank this.
  6. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Just haul frozen food and keep it in reefer.

tommymonza, Aamcotrans and IluvCATS Thank this.
  7. The Kraut

The Kraut Medium Load Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Land of Enchantment
    After more than 20 years in use, my old one died. Got this one now:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071G6M847/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Goes below 0 F, perfect for me. Have it sitting on the frame of my passenger seat, doesn't impact vision to the passenger side. I just place a hot plate on top and cook homemade meals, prepared from my wife.
    Saves me $$$$ on my trips and tastes better and healthier than truck stop food.

Dieselboss, Oldironfan and IluvCATS Thank this.
  8. Mcfist

Mcfist Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Be weary of using regular compressor fridges in your truck. I had one of those dorm mini fridges and they would burn out every 6 months, I replaced two of them under warranty until I just left it at home and it's worked ever since. I don't think they're made to handle the movement or summer heat.

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  9. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    Wynter FM-65g, about $567 on Amazon. There is another challenge for the op. As a new driver the company you first drive for may not have or allow inverters with enough wattage to run a microwave or hot plate.

Frank

flood Thanks this.
  10. breadtrk

breadtrk Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2015
    My Wally world dorm fridge is 7 yrs old and still running on the 7yr old 1500w Wally world inverter.......

tommymonza and lilillill Thank this.
  11. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Got about 2 1/2 years on mine. Runs on an 1800 watt Xantrex. I think the secret is to keep them strapped down tight with ratchet straps. I also have an APU that always keeps the batteries topped up, providing good voltage to the inverter.

uncleal13 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.