Minimum Volts for Good Truck Batteries?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by PE_T, Apr 22, 2019.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

So my truck has 4 batteries. I have an inverter that shows my battery voltage. Whenever the volts get to 12.3, my inverter (?) makes a noise. At this point my APU usually kicks on to charge the batteries. My APU is still out of service, and my question is how low should I allow the batteries to get before I need to turn on my truck engine to charge the batteries? I’ve been on time off for a few days now, and I don’t want to mess up my batteries.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. McMahons Trucking

McMahons Trucking Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2018
    12.3 is about as low as i would want to go.

PE_T and AModelCat Thank this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    12.4 volts is consider 75% charged. 11.5 is pretty much considered dead.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Feed it.

I don't like the batteries to be below 12.5 There are times mine sit for 3 months before driving again, however I crank em and feed it once a month minimum. Also distilled water added after every winter. (Your batteries are probably sealed ones unlike mine)

If APU wont do it, crank the big one and feed em.

PE_T Thanks this.
  6. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    I have one of these. Mounted it in a good spot, and even though this is marine rated, it mainly stays dry. Never a problem with it up here in Canada. I drilled a hole for the marine plug/socket. Just plug it in, and it'll charge you fast. It also looks at the batteries and decides what they need, fast or trickle. And once a month it'll run a maintenance routine past them and the batteries are as good as new. I can't recommend them enough.
    ProMariner ProTournament 360<i>elite</i> Quad Charger - 36 Amp, 4 Bank 31669520387 | eBay

PE_T and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.