misdemeanor charges

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Harley, Jan 20, 2008.

  1. Harley

    Harley Light Load Member

    Jan 13, 2008
    Im thinking about going to a truck driving school in my area and was wondering if there is any trucking companies out there that overlook misdemeanors. In July 2004 I had a marijuana possession charge (under 35gms) and wasnt sure how much that would hurt me on getting a job because I dont want to go to CDL school and no trucking company hire me because of it. The possession was at my house and not in my vehicle and didnt know if that matterd or not.
    If anyone has any input on gettn a trucking job with that misdemeanor I would appreciate your help.
  2. xXDarthVaderXx

    xXDarthVaderXx Light Load Member

    May 17, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    One thing that helps you is the charge was 3 1/2 years ago. Although, some trucking companies will not hire you for ANY type of drug offense. BUT, since it was 3 1/2 years and it was a misdemeanor there are some that will look at you. Its just a matter of being patient and doing research to find out which companies will give you an opportunity. This forum will be a big benefit to you. I am sure with the information you receive from your post, and the research you will do, you will find a company willing to give you a shot!:yes2557:
    MoneyCat Thanks this.
  3. Harley

    Harley Light Load Member

    Jan 13, 2008
    I'll do some research and thanks for the encouragement.
  4. Pur48Ted

    Pur48Ted Road Train Member

    Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    You can limit your "pool" of possible employers to companies that DON'T go to Canada. Canada forbids entrance to their great (pffffft) country by persons with felonies, drunk driving offenses and minor drug charges.
    That pretty much cuts your chances of employment by 60%
  5. jescates

    jescates Bobtail Member

    Nov 22, 2007
    Oklahoma City, Ok
    I am just curious, but how does the Canadians go about finding out your history. Do they run background checks at the border? Is it a criminal check or just a DMV check?
  6. leannamarie

    leannamarie "California Girl"

    They will run a full background check on you if they decide to, trust me, I speak from experience. You will be pulled into a little room, and you'll hear that printer run of pages and pages and pages of every little thing that you ever did in your life. Then they will come back out and tell you that you are free to enter their wonderful country, but you must leave your companion behind because they will never let him into their country. Yes, every misdomeaner will be on that pile of paperwork.
  7. NealinNevada

    NealinNevada Light Load Member

    Dec 16, 2007
    One Horse Town, Nevada
    Get an attorney and have the misdemeanor expunged from your record. Most states have provisions for this IF it was your only conviction (felony or misdemeanor). You'll get hired anyway...if you can drive and you don't have a string of convictions and traffic violations, you'll find a job. I know a fried who was busted in Arizona with 500 lbs of smoke. He had his record expunged and drives trucks today.
    littlepumba Thanks this.
  8. leannamarie

    leannamarie "California Girl"

    Oh, I'm not saying it was a bad thing or anything negative against Canada. But the guy said that it was the misdomeaner from almost 20 years ago that was keeping him out, that's a bit excessive. It just is a problem that US folks don't realize until they hit the border that they can very easily be turned around for something that they had long ago forgotten.
  9. myminpins

    myminpins Road Train Member

    Sep 20, 2007
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    Oh, I agree. I think a 20 year old misdemeanour still on your record keeping you from crossing the border either way is ridiculous. Isn't there a statute of limitations for that? You'd think there would be. It's a bit much!!
  10. leannamarie

    leannamarie "California Girl"

    Yep. I'm glad I'm squeaky clean, I've taken my mother there twice since then. I would hate to have my access denied somewhere. I guess it is a big problem, people heading up there on vacation, never dreaming that 30 years ago when they were involved in a college protest or were caught with a little marijuana that would keep them out. You can apply for a waiver from your government, it costs about $2000, but it is something that has to be taken care of ahead of time.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted