Missed fuel stop. Now what?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Xzay, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    That's exactly what I did.

David_Simpson Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I've got a bit of a problem with some of the attitude I see on here in answering this driver's question! The whole idea of this board is to be a place where information is exchanged. Now we've got a rookie, green as the grass, who admits his mistake, and is asking how to correct, or at least mitigate his error.
    Is there any one of us that didn't screw up as a rookie? Hell, is there anyone here who can HONESTLY say "I never make mistakes, because is (X) number of years/miles of driving?

As to the op, all I can say is separate out the good advice, and ignore the BS. I can't answer your question as I never worked for Swift. But I CAN tell you that as a brand new driver you are going to make some mistakes, and I don't believe for one second that you're going to be in much trouble over this one.
    Don't let these guys get to you. Just do your job, and learn from each mistake you make, so you don't make the same mistake again.
    I just don't understand veteran drivers who rag on a rookie when he asks a question!
    OK, I'll get off my soapbox now...

ladr, Dharok, 1951 ford and 22 others Thank this.
  4. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Thanks Big Don. In this case the rookie didn't actually make a mistake. He just needs to reopt the fuel plan and he's good to go.

NavigatorWife, G13Tomcat and Big Don Thank this.
  5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I'm sure you already figured out what to do and it happens.Like ppl said call dispatch andtell him where youre at he will route you to the nearest truckstop and probably only will want you to get 50 gallons.You should buy yourself a pocket truckstop book they really come in handy.

NavigatorWife and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  6. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    @Big Don ... i replied within minutes, never having driven for Swift, and no animosity towards them whatsoever. I was just trying to get him the quickest answer possible. . . my theory of calling 'dispo' came with a disclosure that I never worked for that company.
    I was just trying to shoot from the hip and be quick, if he were still on here.
    I hope he made it / or is on the way to .. Dallas.
    Gnite' gents....Thanks
    Be safe~!

NavigatorWife, Big Don and Lepton1 Thank this.
  7. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Xray, by the time you read this you will know that you should send the Qualcomm message. Especially at night it may take 30 minutes before you get your new fuel route. Congratulations on making it to solo. Very few get that far.

NavigatorWife and Xzay Thank this.
  8. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Your posts were NOT ones I was referring to.

NavigatorWife and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  9. Xzay

Xzay Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2016
    Everything worked out. I just called my DM and told her what happened, and she explains how everything works.
    She just asked me to refill at a TA about 100 miles away. My first time at a TA, I like them better than pilots and flying J.

I made my load on time and it only took me 8 minutes to back into that tight little dock lol

10. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Swift is using Pilot/FJ? A couple years ago they stopped using them except as a last resort in areas where they are the only large chain around, like Montana. It was probably due to the fraud when Haslam and other executives underpaid fuel rebates to trucking companies. They started using TA/Petro most of the time, with a few stops at Love's.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  11. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    Not anymore these companies treat they're drivers like kids.

Toomanybikes Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.