Missed fuel stop. Now what?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Xzay, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    This is why a driver needs to develop and maintain a good relationship with their FM,DM or dispatcher. My last year driving I was in south Florida and drove almost 75 miles from my empty release point so I could park for my 10. The fuel solution computer had me in one spot but I was 75 miles away in the opposite direction. When I got my next dispatch my fuel solution was taking me way away from where I was. My FM knew me and trusted me. I sent him a message on the Qualcomm and he replied no problem and sent me another fuel solution based on my location. One of the things I try to teach young drivers is be honest with your company. In the end you are better off.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    I started with Swift years ago, and my Mentor was an O/O.
    He did a good job explaining it.

NavigatorWife and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  4. johnwayne187

johnwayne187 Medium Load Member

Aug 6, 2016
    send the macro optimizer to tell u the closest fuel stop.. just need the trip number, how much fuel u on right now and that other status forgot that other one

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  5. johnwayne187

johnwayne187 Medium Load Member

Aug 6, 2016
    lmao

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  6. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Here is where I will disagree with these guys. This will not be the first time, but maybe this time I am wrong. Well see, it has been a while since I drove for Swift and maybe things have changed, but here it goes. It should give you some inside to how to think about things anyway.

At a 1/4 tank there is now way I would wait for a reply for a free form message. None. It may come in time or it may be dumped off the computer and discarded. It many not even be read before it is dumped. Free form messages are answered only at the leisure of the office staff. At a 1/4 tank getting fuel is a priority, especially if you are not familiar with the truck. Not all fuel gauges are accurate. You run out of fuel their will be a big service charge for a mechanic to get that truck started and they may clock you with a preventable.

Call your DM. True, your DM may have 23 other issues to deal with. However, 21 of them he cannot do nothing about. Your giving him a problem he can solve and solve quick. That goes a long way to your relationship. If your running close on a load or running out of fuel, I guarantee he would rather have you call him than wait for any other consequences.

I will also disagree that the OP did not make a mistake. Even though the consequences of this mistake are most likely small. It is still a mistake. Obviously some trip planning is severely lacking. The OP needed to pay better attention in orientation, and during the six weeks on the trainers truck. He need to read his Swift manual and use a little common sense before setting out on this journey. And the simplest of solutions to the problem should have come to his head long before making this post; call your DM.

7. breadtrk

breadtrk Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Or, just avoid all drama and send the Macro......

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I agree and also respectfully disagree. IIRC OP is on his first solo load. It's not the end of the world. Sure, he may have overlooked the fuel stop, BUT fuel stops can be taken with a large dose of salt in the Swift system anyway.

Yes, calling your driver manager helps speed up the reopt happening. Most often I would use the free form macro and wait for the new fuel plan, a few times I called if things got critical. Once I even had to call when I realized I couldn't make it to Barstow after pulling the grades westbound (southbound) on I-15 and got permission to use Comdata to fuel at an independent truck stop.

My overall point that I taught all my trainees is NOT to blindly follow a fuel route. Use your noggin. If fueling at location X is a waste of time and/or tops off your tanks just before a delivery, then bypass it. Reopt when you need fuel. 2/8 isn't the end of the world, you still have well over a hundred miles to play with.

9. Hyweighman

Hyweighman Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Pensacola, FL
    Wow, trucking is sure getting complicated. Fm, Dm do they always hold your hand. What happened to if you need fuel you get it. No asking for permission

10. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Yeah, not sure about other megas, but Swift gives you a specific fuel route. You can only fuel at specific locations for specific amounts of fuel. If you bypass a fuel stop you have to request a new fuel route.

11. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    I'm glad I drive for an Independent and have all 4 bigunns' fuel cards~~!! Sheesh. Just tried to help at the onset; never driven for Swift. Sad what these megas intimidate their newbies into...afraid to fuel? Could this be a contributor to why the turnover rate is kinda high??? Just wonderin/ just sayin.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.