Missed fuel stop. Now what?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Xzay, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Well, it can't help the turnover rate. But I don't believe they have all been quite this bad for all the past years. And they've always had a high turnover rate. They keep increasing the amount that they micromanage their drivers, in the name of bottom line profits. We all know they've figured for many years it's cheaper to hire newbies and keep the turnover rate high, than it is to treat the drivers right and keep experienced drivers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    ^^^ Yes, sir. . . agreed. It's become a sad state of affairs. I've been driving since the late 70's my own trash route. MY business. Had to get "legal" again in '04.... and the crap I see and hear out here is just abominable. Wow, Just Wow.
    {sorry, Dave...heard I stole your phrase....}

NavigatorWife, Lepton1 and Big Don Thank this.
  4. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    It isn't any big deal skipping a fuel stop, unless there isn't a fuel stop that Swift uses after that within your range.
    I do it all the time if it is not convenient or I don't want to fuel there - like at a terminal where I won't get points or a shower credit.

Just call and ask for fuel. With Swift it would be best to be at (or near) a Love's, TA or Petro when you call.
    If they ask why you didn't fuel at the set location just say that it was 3 deep in trucks and you didn't have time to wait.

5. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    What do Swifties do if the fuel optimizer says get 48 gallons here? Do you just pump in the extra 2 gallons for the shower win? I recall my mentor saying never go over the optimizer amount of gallons. I never tried it, was only company driver over there for 6 months.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    The pump will shut off at about 2 gallons over, or less.
    If it is 50 gallons and I am cleaning my glass, the pump will shut off for me.

7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    There was a little leeway but I don't know what it is. 50 seemed to be the min. they did though. I do know 25 over was a no-no. At the Boolingbrook place I was approved for 50 but I put in 75 as that was the minimum for free parking. Got talked to for that one.

-Steven

8. racemaxx24

racemaxx24 Heavy Load Member

Jul 4, 2014
    East TN
    Lol is this a joke? They obviously dedicate a person or group of people to plan a drivers "fuel route" and decide how much fuel they need to put in the truck?

Maybe if they spent that departments funding on training their steering wheel holders everything wouldn't have to be spoon fed to them.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  9. HardlyWorkingNeverHome

HardlyWorkingNeverHome Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Hamden,CT
    A few pennies is $4.50 a tank at 150 gallons. Most of the time it will be a 10-15cent difference when you miss the stop generated. A 15 cent difference is $22.5 mistake. Those Megas operate on slim margins.

Even as an O/O I am thankful for what I learned from Barr Nunn's fuel optimization program. It taught me where the cheaper fuel is.

Companies do let drivers go if they consistently fuel out of network. Some even charge an out of network fueling fee.

10. HardlyWorkingNeverHome

HardlyWorkingNeverHome Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Hamden,CT
    Lol. Come on buddy. That's a computer generated fuel solution. You really think some dude is pulling up each truck as they get planned and plugs in a fuel stop?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    True that ^^^

Even some independent truck drivers use a fuel optimizer, like the one on Truck Tools.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.