Missed fuel stop. Now what?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Xzay, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    ^^ x2

Swift has used several different software programs to chose fuel stops and route. If left to their own devices some idiots that work at Swift would be trying to fill up at the local 7-11 and running into #### on the way to the pump. Dispatch would run crazy trying to authorize payment for each fuel transaction. Drivers steeling fuel is already a problem at Swift; it would be much worse if you didn't monitor the purchases. By choosing fuel location Swift can minimize fuel costs and maximize the fuel rebate they get from the truck stop chains.

In general the fuel routes are not so bad. Their are exceptions, and their are times you want to maximize fueling to your benefit. This OP is no where near the stage where any of that makes sense. He needs to drive the truck without accidents, get no tickets, and arrive on time. To accomplish that he needs to learn to listen and follow instructions better and learn to trip plan. Everything else is above his pay grade at this point.

Too that point. Just remember any time you get off of fuel route and get into a accident at Swift, it is a preventable. Even if the accident is clearly not your fault, Swift will clock you with a preventable. So until you are sure you know what your doing with a truck, and this OP isn't, it is best to follow Swifts directions.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Toomanybikes

Apr 8, 2009
    If you read your manual at Swift you would know what to do.

Emergency fuel authorization is 50 gallons. Swift will rarely dispatch less then 50gallons. If they do, it only to get you out of a area with no other options and will fill you up the same day at another truck stop.

Should you go over the authorized fuel over a certain amount, (either 2 or 5 gallons I cannot remember) Swift requires you to remain at the station and call up and have emergency fuel reauthorized. Expect an ### chewing because that is not easy for most dispatchers. When authorized the emergency fuel about will again be in 50 gallons.

Of course if you read your manual, you should have known.

David_Simpson Thanks this.
  4. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    They did set me up with 48 gallons. I sent a message protesting that it was not enough to even qualify for a free shower deal, please make it 50 or more. Next thing I know they have me a new fuel solution to fill up the tanks at some other truck stop 100 miles away.

This happened way back in 2010 just thought of it now because of this new thread. My overall impression is that Swift has a very nanny culture.

NavigatorWife and speedyk Thank this.
  5. coueshunter

coueshunter Heavy Load Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Mentor did just fine... This has nothing to do with the mentor

6. Toomanybikes

Apr 8, 2009
    Nanny it is, but if you look at the OP's problem some folks are in need of a nanny. To bad as I always thought of trucking as being a nanny free situation.

Could you imagine working for them with the nanny cam installed?

How could it be in 6 months time + whatever as a L/O you never did read that manual? I thought you always referred to the manual.

David_Simpson Thanks this.
  7. racemaxx24

racemaxx24 Heavy Load Member

Jul 4, 2014
    East TN
    You're right, I wasn't thinking. It still dumbfounds me that a company micromanages it's drivers down to the last gallon of fuel they're allowed to put in their trucks at designated fuel stops.

8. free spirited1

free spirited1 Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2012
    USA
    We have fuel routing stops but they don't shut your card off for a different flying J or pilot...you would just pull into a different flying J or pilot on your route and fuel up...just don't make a habit out of it as you may get a call from the fuel dept....the best way to not forget if your fairly new to driving is to write the fuel stops down in numerical order fuel stop 1, fuel stop 2, and so on...then treat those stops as a relay point or delivery point in your mind, some drivers actually put them into their GPS as additional stops...I been driving for many years so it's like old hat to me...but hey hope the above will help you out and hey relieve your stress right...have a safe one

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  9. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    I could never work for a company that tells you exactly where to fuel. If they told me I had to fuel at the Pilot in Channahon I would want to pull over and hang myself right on the side of I-55.

BostonTanker, RedRover and scottied67 Thank this.
  10. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Isn't Channahon the station where you can't make a left turn out of there, or you will get a ticket.

11. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Channahon, no showers either if I'm thinking of the right one. Yes right turn only at the exit. Reminds me of the Pilot and Loves down in Houston close to the Swift terminal, it is also strictly right turns exiting. The other choice is to exit out the back of the truck stop onto a side access residential street and go to the light to turn left. The light is only green for one truck to turn left at a time though. Might as well make the right out of the Pilot/Loves and go down and turn left into one of the big lots and Uturn on their lot and go back out to the right again to point in the right direction.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.