Mission Petroleum Carriers

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Duron, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Seattle206

Seattle206 Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2011

The panhandle won't pay as much as the San Antonio area because of the cost of living here in the Pan Handel. You can find homes in Panhandle and White Deer for 20K 3bdrm 1 bathroom is still fairly common. You don't get more expensive unless you want a Ranch Style looking mansion; and they go for 200K. There isn't much competition out here either.

Amarillo TX is a different story; you can still find some 50K homes around the North Area; but in 5 Years I would be anything they will be worth 70-80K easy. The avg price in Amarillo where I live is 90K-120K

I see Mission Trucks all the time on 152 headed to Wheeler TX. The bread and butter of the oil patch in this area. I've been down here now for almost 2 years though; and one things for sure. There isn't a lot of competition; so they don't pay the big money like other areas. Then again; San Antonio has to be more expensive then here to live.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dr_Fandango44

Dr_Fandango44 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I worked at the Austin terminal for Mission for 3.5 yrs and by and large it was OK, but nothing great. You are paid by the load, but with all terminals its
    going to depend who is running the show. You get a lousy terminal mgr and its going to be a poor experience and long days. Thats what happened in Austin.
    They hired some wing-nut former O/O who turned out to be as bad as it can get. He pretty much ran all the best drivers out of town inc me.
    The management above the terminal Mgrs arent all that wonderful either.
    When you have a district mgr who thinks it "cute" to number and date each pair of gloves they give you, just to make sure you dont get your fair quota. Kind of pathetic really, just stupid cheapskate nonsense, but thats what you get from small minded people, who let their egos get in the way.
    You know its going to be downhill from here. I bought my own gloves via Amazon, and the gloves Mission give you are the cheapest and poorest quality.
    Unlike Coastal who will give you all the supplies you need especially when they wear out, don't expect Mission to come even close.
    I had tremendous problems trying to get replacement hoses, which wear out frequently as you can surmise seeing that you are dealing with a corrosive product
    as in Petroleum. Somebody on this forum mentioned something about getting a $700 quarterly safety bonus. I would take that with a grain of salt!! I never got such a bonus. The best I got and I rarely missed one, was around $450. But as we all know, drivers can lie and romance their way through life.
    Ive been told that the terminal Mgr in SA is just as bad as the one in Austin, so just beware if you decide to apply. If I were to consider a gas hauling company in central Texas, I would look at Coastal, Dupre, Suncoast, and Kenan.
    The one GOOD thing about Mission is they have top notch benefits, inc a Roth 401K plan, so its not all bad. Just be aware of the pitfalls of working for such an outfit.
    Good luck :biggrin_25512:

RockinChair Thanks this.
  4. joshua1514

joshua1514 Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2012
    Dr_F, hit the nail on the head, with some of the problems you will find here or anywhere. However there is a big difference between the crude and gasoline depts. I believe he worked for gas and I myself would not want to work in the gasoline dept. From what I hear from those guys is they have to work 6 days to get close 60k. Crude is generally#a little less micro managed from what I have seen. Again I have no idea about the panhandle area tho. For comparison this has been a slow yr, , I have never worked my days off,,, 4-2 scheduel averaged under 12hrs a day and I am at 52k gross from the 1st of the yr. Any I have never had a quarterly under 700. But compared to company B down the rd,,, I am being screwed.

5. Bigdrmz

Bigdrmz Bobtail Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    If you stay on the current trajectory, you should see mid $80k's. I don't see anything wrong with that at all and seems you have worked into a comfortable schedule and are happy, that is a rare combination in the trucking industry, period! Regardless of where we work, someone else is telling us what to do and some people never get a grasp on that concept and become disgruntled employees.
    My app is in process and I think when it's approved, I think I will be working out of Ringgold, Tx. I'm looking forward to getting inboard and hauling some black gold! Thanks for your input Josh and Dr. F.!

6. tom3901

tom3901 Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2013
    I think they fired that guy within the last couple of weeks.. I work out of corpus and never had any of those issues. MY bonus is normally high 900.00...About mid 700.00 after tax. We have never been denied hoses or supplies in Corpus. I have worked there about a year and a half. Worked for a freight company for 18 years prior. I work the gas side. You get some drama working there.. Mostly from other truck drivers.... I would rate the job very good. The main thing is I get respect...That is very important to me. Once a company starts to disrespect me, I will move on...

7. Bigdrmz

Bigdrmz Bobtail Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Just got the physical and drug screen done for Mission today and will be starting in Ringgold sometime next week! The manager up there, John, seems like a really good guy and I'm pretty excited about getting rolling with these guys. Thanks for all the input from all of you, will keep ya updated!

8. Dr_Fandango44

Dr_Fandango44 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I will have to check with my buddy in the Austin Terminal whats going on there if they got rid of old fatso. If its the person that I'm thinking that has taken over,
    then all I can say is its about time. Can never figure out why they hire such stupid people in important positions, but apparently with him being an O/O with them they just wanted one less O/O off their books. If hes gone then all I can say is good riddance. Maybe one of these days I may be tempted to go back
    I'm surprised that the level of bonus in other parts of the country or state is so high. I never got past $500 a quarter but then again, it also depends who you slip seat
    with too. I was lucky, I had a good clean guy. By and large I think Mission is not bad, it could be worse, and you certainly can make a decent living with them. You've just got to get at the mgr when it comes to replacing equipment. :biggrin_255:

9. CEG

CEG Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Western, Kansas
    Just wondered how it was going with Mission. I am set to start soon myself

10. big tx

big tx Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Mission has a high turn over rate because of the way they operate. No job is perfect but but drivers get tired of everything being in caos all the time. with four drivers rotating on one truck things are always missing,broken,or stolen.the money used to be good before the big paycut in january.when that happened 12 drivers left right away.alot of the hauls are now only 5 mile hauls so it is hard to make money in the crude department.you have to dead head 2 hrs to the 5 mile hauls and dont get paid anything for dead head time.then sometimes wait in line an hour to unload you dont get paid for that time because you have to give them an hour.if you go get your next load and have to wait in line again you must give them another hour before you get paid anything.you now have 4 hours of your day you worked for free.So good luck driver

11. Rockdoctor

Rockdoctor Medium Load Member

I see Mission is hiring in lots of places but I do not notice many new Mission trucks at Ringgold. Is the business growing or is it driver turnover creating the demand for new drivers?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.