Mn governor proposes a .20 gal fuel tax hike.

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by drvrtech77, Feb 27, 2019.

1. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    [​IMG]
    TheTrucker.com
    THE NATION
    Minnesota governor proposes 20-cent gas tax hike
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz said in proposing a gas tax increase that the state’s transportation system is aging and struggling to keep up with the demands of the state’s growing population. (Courtesy: MINNESOTA GOVERNORS OFFICE.)

ST. PAUL, Minn. — Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz is proposing to phase in a 20-cent increase in Minnesota’s fuel tax over the next two years and index that tax to inflation as part of his overall state budget proposal unveiled last week, according to an article in the Journal of the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials.

“Minnesota’s transportation system is aging and struggling to keep up with the demands of our growing population,” the governor noted in the fact sheet accompanying the release of his proposed budget.

“The Minnesota Department of Transportation projects that in order to simply operate and maintain our current roads and bridges, the state will need $18 billion over the next 20 years above current revenues,” Walz said.

To accumulate those funds, Walz said he plans to:

• Initiate a 20-cent fuel tax increase, phased-in over two years, and index that tax to inflation beginning in fiscal year 2023. Combined together, those tax changes are expected to raise approximately $6.5 billion over 10 years.
    • Increase the vehicle registration tax from 1.25 percent to 1.5 percent, while boosting the base tax fee from $10 to $45 and changing the depreciation schedule. That is projected to raise approximately $4 billion over ten years.
    • Increase the motor vehicle sales tax from 6.5 percent to 6.875 percent. That would raise approximately $505 million over 10 years, with $300 million going towards roads and bridges and $205 million for “transit purposes.”
    • Authorizing $2 billion in trunk highway bonds over eight years starting in 2022.
    • Establish a 1/8-cent sales tax in the seven-county metropolitan area to maintain and expand the regional bus and transitway system, generating approximately $770 million.
    • Authorize $20 million in general obligation transit bonds, with a goal of totaling $230 million in bonding over the next 10 years.
    The governor also proposed to add 10 new bus rapid transit lines over the next decade as part of his budget plan; an expansion that would result in a 40 percent increase in service on the region’s busiest routes and an estimated 30 to 40 percent increase in regional transit ridership.

Minnesota governor proposes 20-cent gas tax hike

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    So as of last quarter of 2018, when i filed my IFTA tax Minnesota has a identical .2850 tax on gas and diesel. We here in Pennsylvania have .7410 on diesel and .5760 tax on gas.

Opus and 4mer trucker Thank this.
  4. 4mer trucker

4mer trucker Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2015
    And aren't the Roads just wonderful because of it?

Shock Therapy and stillwurkin Thank this.
  5. stillwurkin

Dec 2, 2017
    Opps wasnt quite done with the post. ( clumsy fingers). My last point is, instead of dreaming up ways to save money, "they" just dream up ways to get more. Somewhere, somehow, something has to give a little. 10 or more years ago i was visiting with a guy who was getting to retire from o-dot (Ohio). He told me he "stacked" his unused sick days and personal days, may paid vacations too..not sure. Anyway he was going to retire a year early with full pay until they were used up. Hey thats all good, but someone pays for that.

4mer trucker Thanks this.
  6. stillwurkin

Dec 2, 2017
    Yup right. They are building roundabouts like crazy at many intersections . Just pave roads and fix bridges, we will figure out how to get through the intersections. Big one to go in at routes, 98, 19 and 322 this summer close to Meadville, Pa. People not for it but they are ramming it through. My thoughts are..get all bridges, roads smooth and then if you want to build roundabouts, then knock yourself out. Ok i am done..off my short soapbox.

brsims, IH Truck Guy and 4mer trucker Thank this.
  7. 4mer trucker

4mer trucker Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'm down in the SE part part of the State, the Roads are bad down here

brsims, Shock Therapy and stillwurkin Thank this.
  8. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    The people than live on the ND border will just hop to the ND side and buy fuel, just like they do for tobacco.

9. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Things will never change in Minnesota...its the Massachusetts of the midwest .
    The twin cities is the crown jewel and the rest of the state sucks hind tit .
    Left in the late 80s and wont return .

drvrtech77 Thanks this.
  10. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Oh Christ, not there! That's a busy intersection even at slow times! And a PITA to route around!

11. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    .20....... is that all ? Your lucky....... Come visit Commiefornia and see what we pay and how they stuck it to us without any lubricant. You’ll be glad your in Mn.

bzinger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.