Mn Smoking Ban Effects on Truckers

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by thedragon, Sep 29, 2007.

1. thedragon

thedragon Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Wadena, Mn
    Starting on Oct. 1 Minnesota is banning smoking in all public facilities (bars, restuarants, motels, etc) and workplaces. According to the law they feel smoking should be illegal where ever others may be, that do not want second hand smoke.
    What does that mean to a trucker, it means that they if they want to, can ticket you for smoking in your CMV under the new law.
    My employer has already warned us of this ban and no smoking law in our company trucks.
    So if you are a smoker, be careful when smoking in Minnesota. you mst be outdoors, 100 feet from a wall, and can't be in any enclosure, that has a roof with or without walls, (park gazebos, bus shelter, company smoking shelter, etc)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BobC

BobC Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Cincinnati, slOhio
    I think if you read the finer print you'l find that it only pertains to trucks domiciled in Mt.

I might be wrong but that's the way it works for other states.

4. Truckin Juggalo

Truckin Juggalo Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Madisonville, TN
    does anyone besides me find that retarded, i mean u shove them out into the cold and away form nonsmokers like me, then a company feels compassion and builds a smoking shelter for them, then you outlaw its primary function

5. sundowner

sundowner Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2007
    pigeon forge, tn
    Tennessee smoking ban also takes effect October 1st.

6. AA3NK

AA3NK Bobtail Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Gloucester, MA
    The best part about quitting smoking is that it gets easier every moment, every day, every year and then it goes away entirely. Hard to imagine that not doing something can be so completely uncomfortable in the beginning but it sure seems that way for smokers who are trying to quit.

I quit about 10 years ago and know very well how regrettable it was ever to have started. But, be sure of this, if you quit, it will get easier and better and then just go away.

As for public places, wow, I just hate going to big box stores where the smokers are right in front and you have to pass through that stench to get inside.

And the state taxes on the ###### cigarettes is immoral. The states are taking in revenue on the backs of nicotine addiction while at the same time punishing the addicts. Better that cigarettes or tobacco in any form simply be outlawed, done away with, gone forever. In the end, every former smoker who quits does so "cold turkey." I could be wrong and it won't be the first time either but I am betting that a lot of smokers sure wish they had never taken up the habit. It was not easy to start smoking but somewhere along the line some part of the brain convinces the rest of the brain that it is worth it to smoke, whatever it takes to get it. It is probably the same part of the brain that makes things political too!!

Oh well, I am sorry to see yet another state law to regulate social behavior that won't work, just like those ###### from hell HOV lanes.

Bob
    AA3NK

7. leannamarie

leannamarie "California Girl"

WTF! You can't smoke in your own enclosed vehicle. That is just so wrong. Let the smokers smoke themselves to death in their vehicle, that way I don't have to be exposed to their smoke anywhere else. We should be encouraging them to smoke in their vehicles if we are concerned about secondhand smoke harming others.

8. 2xR

2xR Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Ol' North State
    As a former smoker, I have deep sympathy for those who can't/won't quit. I also have sympathy for their plight. They are becoming social outcast, forced out of the mainstream of society for simply continuing to do what was considered socially "cool" just a few years ago. I don't care for it to be blown in my face, but an occasional whiff of tobacco smoke ain't going to make me die any sooner than I'm already scheduled.

Some of these anti-smoking bans appear to be more about slapping the smokers around than public health and safety.

Oh! That's a good idea. Let's create another class of criminals to provide three hots and a cot for. I hope you don't vote too often. :biggrin_25522:

9. Ronnocomot

Ronnocomot Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2006
    IL
    Does seem on the dumb side doesn't it. But they have no qualms about heaping taxes on them.

10. AA3NK

AA3NK Bobtail Member

Sep 29, 2007
    Gloucester, MA
    For sure, it ain't easy to smoke anymore.

If smokes had never been available, I would not have invented them. I was conceived with nicotine in my body, both parents smoked, they both died from it. After my father's ostomy, when he could no longer speak or breathe through his mouth, he still wanted to smoke but could no longer inhale.

Nah, no criminal aspect was suggested, I would not limit anyone's liberty. I do not defend any of it and remember very well smoking on planes or anywhere else to include class rooms in college in the 70s.

Have you ever seen a dog crave a cigarette? A child ask for a smoke? Have you ever seen anyone fail in some way because there was no tobacco available? Has anyone ever been worse off for not having smoked or used tobacco?

A smoke will "get you going" and a pack will "keep you going" but so will an apple or a pear.

Alas, probably a poor conversation on my part. Without apology, I maintain that not smoking is easier than smoking. Smoking cessation is uncomfortable, in the beginning, and then becomes much easier.

My word of encouragement and hope would be to inspire anyone to know that quitting smoking becomes easier everyday of not smoking--shortly after quitting you will be able to say, "non-smoking, please."

11. Ronnocomot

Ronnocomot Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2006
    IL
    Ex-smokers are sometimes worse than non-smokers.

It's the whole "I did it so why can't you"

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.