Modifying a Company Truck?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by WeightedDips, Nov 14, 2021.

1. WeightedDips

WeightedDips Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2021
    I made a post asking how you guys stayed fit on the road. I'm looking into starting a local CDL school in January. I will be paying out of pocket for which is suppose to be great personal training.

Now I have a few more last questions from a new guy. With fitness being my #1 Priority in Life. I've spent the last decade climbing trees for a company, one of my main reasons to choose to keep my body healthy, due to the physical nature of my job.

I'm going into trucking and going from a physical active job, to sitting in a truck for 11 hours per day. And I feel like the key to me being successful in the truck and over the road will being able to take care of myself, my mind, and my body.

I've watched YouTube videos of guys on the road using Planet Fitnesses. Some say, it's impossible for them. Others say guys are just making excuses. When you shake down the truth, the honest truth is Planet Fitness makes a living by signing people up, who have excuses on why they can't get to the gym. High Volume, Low Price. I expect to be able to hit the gym a few days a week as a trucker, some of that being on my 36 hour reset. Being realistic, that life as a trucker will be busy, and I have to prepare for the un-expected.

I will utilize my gym visit days for showers and for my lifting heavy days. But when it comes to the lifting light days, I'd like to utilize days I'm not able to get to the gym as my light weight truck workout days.

It would be easier to modify a truck if I went the lease route, owner operator, and even a dedicated route would provide more simplicity as far as route planning a gym. But my first years, this may be impractical until I get experience.

My question is, would a company allow you to modify the interior assuming it could be returned back to factory state?

For example, could you install a squat rack / pull up bar / dip station like this below in a company truck if you could find a way to install it and return the interior back to normal? I would have like a fold-out gym mat or small mattress that would roll up to sleep on?

Pretty much my plan is just to drive, workout, and sleep.

Would this be possible in a company truck?

T-3 Series Short Folding Power Rack

T-3 Series Y-Dip Attachment

With this one single rack, I could hang some plates to me and do weighted pull ups, weighted dips, squats, and barbell rows. 4 of the big compound movements that would hit my entire body and I'd have pretty much
    unlimited progress using my weighted dip belt for push ups and pull ups.

Interested in hearing back.... Would your company allow it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Why go to all that trouble. Get into the Food Service industry. You’ll be lifting boxes all day, climbing up and down on the trailer, pulling a manual pallet Jack all over. You’ll get a complete workout without modifying any truck.

4. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    Or flatbed. Those tarps will give ya plenty of workout. Lol

5. N00bLaLoosh

N00bLaLoosh Road Train Member

May 13, 2021
    Novi, MI
  6. WeightedDips

Nov 4, 2021
    I've heard a couple guys mention this, but I don't think they understand my level of fitness and seriousness to the sport.

A 150 lb tarp, or unloading some 50-75 lb boxes might give some plenty of workout to keep them in decent shape. I don't disagree. But when I say working out, I'm talking about putting music in my ears and pushing by body to its limits. I sleep better, and over-all just feel better, and it's became part of my life. Something tarping or unloading some boxes isn't going to give me.

I'm used to pulling my body up 200 lbs of rope for 5+ hours a day to the top of trees. If I"m not in a tree, I'm carrying 300+ lb trunks on my shoulder up, up-hill in most cases. When I work out, I can easily do 1,500+ push ups in an hours time, and a 1,000 with someone on my back.

I understand everyone has a different opinion on working out, and how they spent your time, that's your personality.

I'd rather stay on topic and ask the question, would your company allow something like this if the truck could be returned to normal?

7. WeightedDips

Nov 4, 2021

This is what I was trying to find out??

So I wonder if hauling dry van, if I could modify a way to attach it to a dry van without causing any permanent damage.

8. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Get a ymca membership. Stop 3 times a week and get a shower. Supplement with your own equipment. YMCA in smaller towns so you can park on the street

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Companies won't allow that because the trucks are in warranty. Modifications void a warranty.
    Do the best you can for 12 months, then buy a truck through a company such as Greatwide.
    ~
    Nationwide freight available now.
    Run where and when you want!!
    No forced dispatch!!! Need a truck?
    We can help!! Apply online today!!
    Good Credit Bad Credit No Problem!
    Visit One Of The Dealers Below In Person Or Online And Pick Your Truck.
    If You Have A Dealer Of Your Own Not On Our List No Problem! We Can Work With Them.
    ~
    After you buy a truck, then you can do whatever you want to the inside.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
  10. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    ^^^^this^^^^

nredfor88 and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  11. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Taking the bunk out probably not an option for Dot reasons , also you have HVAC equipment under bunks.
    You also have to have that equipment secure while rolling down the road in case of accident. I dont know of any company that will allow that much modification to a truck. Best bet is do what you can to get experience then buy your own truck and modify how you see fit to do it.

gentleroger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.