Modifying sliding winch track on flatbed

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by imasaluki, Aug 22, 2009.

1. imasaluki

imasaluki Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2008
    I placed this in the "Trucks" section as well, but might get a better answer here. Thanks.

I've searched the internet and this website for the answer I'm looking for, but no success. Here's the question.

On a flatbed trailer there is usually a sliding winch track on one or both sides of the trailer that allows you to position your straps where you need them to secure the freight. On this sliding track, there are bolts that block the movement of the winches: one at each end (to keep the winches from falling off) and two other bolts that are to keep you from positioning winches directly over tires. The pupose of the latter bolts are obvious, but by blocking winches over the tires, it also blocks areas where winches/straps would be safe to place. For example, the first bolt that restricts the winches over the drive tires is about 8-10 feet (I didn't measure) from the front of the trailer. I would like to run a winch forward and place it over the area between the drive tires so I don't have to use multiple 2 in. ratchet straps or a chain. The same thing applies for the bolt near the rear. I would like to remove these bolts.

Anyways, to wrap this up... is it legal to remove those bolts that restrict the winches from sliding to areas over the tires? This is a brand new, company-owned, Transcraft, 53 ft aluminum flatbed trailer. If somebody could point me to a regulation that says it is illegal to modify/remove such bolts, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    My question to you would be...What are you gonna do when the winch between the tires on your drivers gets into your tire when you are turning and the trailer leans over a little bit. There is no regulation that says you can't move them but there are a few good reasons why you shouldn't.

It's not a good idea, That's why we carry ratchet straps!

imasaluki Thanks this.
  4. High Desert Dweller

High Desert Dweller Medium Load Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Unrated and Unmarked Anchor Points
    FMCSAs cargo securement rules do not require rating and marking of anchor points. While the agency encourages manufacturers to rate and mark anchor points, the new rules do not include a requirement for ratings and markings.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/vehicle/cs-policy.htm

imasaluki Thanks this.
  5. imasaluki

imasaluki Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Thanks for the replies and the link.

Blackw900, I understand your sentiment, but the company only provides us with 2 inch ratchet straps and I just don't trust them as much as I do the winch straps when securing stuff like lumber and crates of stone. We haul a lot of stuff that needs to be secured with 4 inch straps and it needs to be TIGHT. I wish I had a picture to illustrate where these bolts are on the winch track. They actually allow the winch to sit over a portion of both the drive tires and the trailer tires... they just don't allow them to sit over the tallest section of the tire.

Personally, I think the bolts are put there to reduce liability on the behalf of Transcraft because a winch could definitely be put forward of that bolt where it would not interfere with the tires AT ALL. And just to add... we have trailers where somebody (drivers, mechanics, I don't know) has removed the bolts in question... so I definitely can't be the first to think of this. :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.