More bad news.......

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by femalecdla, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    PhDriver

Aamcotrans Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Holy cow... I had no idea obtaining a cdl in other states was so difficult... When I got mine I went to the DMV to get a book to study from, a week later I went to DMV and took all written tests (except hazmat) and passed them all. I then scheduled an appointment with a state certified cdl examiner for a week later... I borrowed a '99 Peterbilt 379 and 48 foot flatbed trailer from a friend and took my pretrip, on road, and backing skills tests all in one go... Took about 2 hours. 2 days later I went back to DMV and got my cdl. Then I went to a doctor and got my medical card. The whole process cost me $238.00, that's for all the testing, the medical card, and the actual cdl license... Every penny of it was reimbursed by my employer at the time when I told him I could haul cattle for him farther than the 150 air mile agriculture exemption that had previously limited me.

4. luckystar

luckystar Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2017
    What state?

austinmike Thanks this.
  5. LWT104

LWT104 Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Around the corner
    17 years ago, I went to dootson in Arcadia, ca. Spent $1500, like, 2 days a week, for a month and a half. Passed pre trip and skills first try, driving on second try. It was a great school, imo. Teachers I had and, that I met were absolutely great and knew thier stuff. I'm amazed at the amount of money people are forking over to get thier CDL these days, sheesh!

6. Hick

Hick Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    West Virginia
    6 months in - can you drive the truck? Are you confident in the backing and the road test? You already know that the pre-trip test is just a memorization game. When you chauffeur around the examiner will you be OK?

I was in school for 4 weeks. There were 7 of us on test day and 5 passed. This was a $3500 school. How many other people are in your group?

austinmike Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    10 grand in 6 months?

I did mine for 2500 over 4 months on weekends. With a couple of special playtime weekdays tossed in for fun. Such as Monday morning RUsh hour in Wash DC bright and early on 495. Motivating. (I almost quit...)

I think you are being milked. MOOOO. Milk milk milk.

8. femalecdla

femalecdla Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2018
    I’m getting better. But keep in mind, I’ve only driven 4 times about 1 hour each time I was in the drivers seat. The school is behind in required road drive times. All students must have 12 road trips. These road trips were supposed to start in course 9. I’m currently in course 11. I have one course left and I’ve only been on the road 4 times. So I need 8 more trips. Mind you, there are students who are entering and are currently in course 12 who have never driven a semi truck aside from backing maneuvers. We spend so much time on backing with very little time actually driving down the road.

The school is 6 months long, supposed to be but it’s more like 7-9 months long, and your first 3 months are in a classroom reading a book on the trucking industry. The other 3 months we are on the range with 2 month of the 3 months supposed to include driving on the road. So, before we are allowed to drive a truck we have spent 4 months out of the 6 months in the classroom and on the range perfecting our backing skills. Now, the school is behind and most of us aren’t getting to drive until we have literally 2 weeks of school left. Since we are weekend students, that leaves us 4 days (Saturday’s and Sunday’s) out of the 6 months we actually get to drive a semi truck.

Thus, I’m not confident enough to pass the road skill test just yet.

Hick Thanks this.
  9. femalecdla

femalecdla Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2018

10. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I start school next week. $2000. 7 weeks. 250 hours behind the wheel. Sounds like you are getting fleeced.

11. Hick

Hick Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    West Virginia
    The fact alone that the state made the school change it's testing methods makes me wonder what's going on.

If this is going to cost you anymore money to get through, you might want to get some solid answers on when you're wrapping up. If it's going to cost you more than you'd pay at another school or tech college to finish up, why not bail on them and be licensed in a month somewhere else? 10k can be gotten back in court if need be.

But I think it is past time to gnaw on someone's ### until you figure out how much longer for sure.

austinmike Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.