More distance from Cobra 29 LTD

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by coledurango, Nov 7, 2009.

1. coledurango

coledurango Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2009
    I have a Cobra 29 Ltd that is brand new. I want to get the most distance from this radio and am looking for advice. I read about high keys and am not completely sure what they are or how to accomplish. Should I install an amp and leave the radio untouched or should I tweak radio and then add amp. Any and all advice would be appreciated...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    First off make sure you have the best antenna money can buy. The antenna is the most important part of the radio set up.

Second make sure the SWR is as low as it can be.

Third how far are you planning on talking? A Cobra 29 CB radio with a good antenna and a low SWR should talk an easy 5 miles, maybe a little more if you're not surrounded by mountains and trees and buildings and such. If you need more range, a single side band radio would be a good option.

I don't know what "high keys" are either, that's the first I've heard of them.

I would add an amp before I'd tweak the radio. There's an old saying "you can't get blood from a turnip"....you can only get but maybe a few extra watts from a radio before it starts sounding distorted and like garbage then no one will talk to you.

Also keep in mind amps are illegal to use on CB radios and if someone complains of you bleeding over their phone/speaker/TV/radio/PC and you are caught, you could be looking at a very expensive fine...like $10k and on up.

darthanubis Thanks this.
  4. coledurango

coledurango Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2009
    what is a single side band radio and how does it differ from a cb and i had an amp (palomar 225) in ahigh school I know there illegal but with conditions right I could get out really well.

5. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    SSB is a MODE ..... Just like AM is Is is LEGAL for CB as well as on HAM radios.

You will get more range with it which is the reason it is so widely used by the hams ....

6. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    Ship it to Sparky and have it RFX modded,or return it and just buy one built and shipped from Sparky.
    Get either a RK/56 or Sky Thumper DX mic
    Wilson 2K,5K or Predator K1 Comp and you will be Master Blasting out
    to 10-15 miles under average conditions.

Amps are Cool,BIG AMPS are even COOLER!:biggrin_2559:
    But pound for pound(dollar invested) RFX Cobra's are the new standard
    for low buck,HUGE Performance in one box.

I have a Connex 43/400 thats been retired due to acquiring one of these Stealth tuned RFX Cobra's,yeah "their that good" IMO.

7. Turbo-T

May 31, 2009
    SSB is a different mode of radio transmission that is more efficient than basic AM which is what most CB's run off of.

In SSB you're still on AM but you eliminate the carrier of AM. You can then run a little more power PLUS talk further because the SSB is more efficient.

However with SSB the other party has to have SSB if you want to talk to them on SSB. Otherwise you have to stick to just plain AM.

You will find SSB is awesome come skip time if you use your radio to talk to folks other than OTR.

SSB radios I recommend are the older Cobra 148 GTL made in Taiwan or Philly....or a Uniden grant.

8. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Northern California
    SSB is a more efficient mode of communication, but not widely used by truckers. If you need to get out further, I would get it tuned and aligned by a reputable tech, make sure your antenna setup is top notch, and if you still need more distance, look into getting an amp. A small 2 pill will usually take care of the small power itch. Anything bigger than that starts to get complicated. I am very much into the CB hobby and if you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Hope this helps!

9. Carolina Thunder

Carolina Thunder Medium Load Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Coeburn V.A.
    Dude,unless you want to talk across country then you dont need an amp and you sure as hell dont need any high dollar mods done to the radio. Have the radio peaked and tuned to get the most amount of power from it ( in the range of 20 to 25 watts is the norm ) and spend the money on the best coax you can find ( not that cheap truck stop #### ) and a great antenna like a Predator 10K. These things go for about $45 to $75 depending on which model you get but you will be shocked of how much better your radio will work. A well tuned radio with low loss coax ( Wilson makes some coax that is sold at T/A and Wilco truck stops fro around $25 that works well ) and a really well built antenna will make your 20 watt radio sound and get out like a 50 watt Galaxy,and thats is the truth!

One more thing.
    DO NOT LET THE CB TECH CLIP THE MODULATION LIMITER OUT OF IT OR LET THEM DO A SWING KIT OR MOD KIT INSTALL ON IT! I dont give a #### how much better the tech tells you you will get out,it's just a rip off and a wast of money.The only reason they try and push this mod is to get your money but in the end YOU WILL end up with radio that sounds like ####! If after tuning the radio dead keys at 6 or 7 watts and swings to 20 watts then thats fine,you will not hurt a thing. But if the day ever comes that you want to run an amp then you will have to get the dead key down to 4 or 5 watts because 7 watts or more will cause the amp to get to hot,to fast and you will blow it up.

10. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Northern California
    Well said Carolina Thunder....The swing kits, clipped limiters and mod kits are DEFINITELY not the answer when tuning any radio. A good tune up, and good antenna is all anyone really needs to communicate locally.

11. Turbo-T

May 31, 2009
    Carolina Thunder does give some good advice. But the OP has yet to say how far he wants to talk.

Carolina Thunder, how well would you say that Predator works as opposed to a 108 inch whip? Oh and is this the Wilson low loss coax you speak of?:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=951125

There's also this one but it's made by Beldon:

http://www.cbradiostore.com/servlet/the-204/RG8X-Low-Loss-Beldon/Detail

I concur. Just another way for a "tech" to rob you of your money...blindly. But keep in mind a good tune will only help some, but it won't allow you to talk across the world either. No CB radio will, well maybe during skip conditions.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.