More lies from the Safety Dept. on using your 4 ways.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Hammer166, Jan 27, 2023.

1. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    For all the proponents of the near-constant use of four ways:

Surely y'all notice that only results in traffic bottling up all around your truck, which should be the last thing you want in marginal conditions?

It's also not legal in most states.

But hey, the Safety man and/or your "highly experienced" trainer says it's a good idea... so what do I know?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LameMule

LameMule Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
    How about brights in the yard while you're trying to use your mirrors? Very few things grind my gears as much as some yahoo with led lights blasting me in the cornea whilst bumping a dock or backing up to a frac tank. Most frac sites even have a "headlights off" sign for the very reason.

Hazards on a hill when there's 12 trucks crawling along is ridiculous. The rear truck oughtta be the taillights of the operation not a train of flashing lights.

4. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    As a new-ish driver, the two situations where I use four ways are 1. When traffic has come to a standstill and there's no-one behind me. I turn them off as soon as someone successfully stops behind me without rear-ending my trailer. 2. When visibility is very poor such as fog or severe storm, again when no-one is close behind me.

Would you say those are appropriate uses?

5. Hammer166

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    The first situation, I'm absolutely 100% on board with you there. You need people's attention and the four ways will get it I actually have strobes on the back of my trailer that I use in those circumstances. And I usually leave them on until other trucks start to stack up back there.

The second scenario, I'm not so much on board. If the caveat is strictly followed, it's not as bad, but still...
    The problem is the constant four ways can too easily mask other indications. It's easy to miss the switch from four ways to turn signal, for example. And it definitely reduces the attention grabbing flare of sudden brake lights. There is also the ergonomic side: our eyes don't like the repeated rapid fluctuations of light levels, it's much harder to accurately track the other object when that's going on.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    yes, both situations are welcomed.

the blinking light in low visibility can tell someone approaching you that your there, where if it is just the running lights, they might not be seen in time to slow.

The thing is more light that can penetrate the bad weather, the better.

Still undecided Thanks this.
  7. Lexuslane

Lexuslane Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2021
    What I hate is the brake lights coming in every time the Jake brake activates
    And the truck barely slows down
    Because then when the truck hit the brakes the vehicle behind wont notice because the brake lights are already on .
    As for the four ways , aren’t they REQUIRED when traveling below the minimum posted speed ?
    Which is usually 45 on interstates or limited access roads ?

Still undecided, gentleroger and MIT Thank this.
  8. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    I'm a #######. Learnin every day

Oxbow Thanks this.
  9. Hammer166

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Using hazard lights in rain is illegal in some states; use could cost you

Edit: there's a list of state laws in this article

Bean Jr., Lonesome and Oxbow Thank this.
  10. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    My 4 ways get used when I’m the tail end of a traffic jam. Also leave plenty of space in front of you until traffic is stacked up behind you. I will probably survive getting rear ended at a high rate of speed, unless I get pushed into the truck in front of me, then all bets are off.

I rarely use my 4 ways when climbing a hill, and never in the rain or fog, unless there is a sign that says to do so. Headlights don’t make it past the driveway of most yards or truck stops. They are never on when waiting for someone to back into a spot. I guess it’s just uncommon curtesy.

11. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Brake lights can, and often are, programmed to come on with any jake brake application.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.