Mortgage lenders for truckers….

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Lennythedriver, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Those paystubs show how you are paid.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    If you have any grief at all, go talk to a couple of mortgage people at local credit unions or small local or regional banks. Another option is Churchill Mortgage.

Waterman_99 Thanks this.
  4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I am a veteran.

I highly recommend you don't use the VA or an internet lender.

You go to your bank. Period.

If you can't do a 20 year mortgage max, keep saving your money.

They also look for a minimum of 2 years with the same employer.
    That's the minimum. The longer you've been at the same company, or self employed, same name on your shingle, you'll find it much easier going.
    They want stability.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    This will be part of my problem as I’ve only been at the current company I’m at about eight months. I spent 2 1/2 years at the first company. I wish mortgage lenders took more into account how the trucking industry is. We can push a button on a job app on our phone and have 500 job offers within seconds. Especially if we have a clean driving record and experience. Lol

and it’s highly unlikely that I’m going to last three years at the company I’m at. Given the current market situation they just don’t pay enough. They’re basically ideal for new drivers, once you get past a year of experience they do not pay enough at all.

I’m still going to apply though.

6. Accidental Trucker

Jun 4, 2015
    You may have to find someone who does manual underwriting. Two years at the same job is not an absolute requirement, but continued employment within an industry for two years is.

Lennythedriver Thanks this.
  7. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Just insane to me. Looking at it in layman’s terms, I’d definitely lend someone on my shoes a mortgage loan. Lol

1. credit score 803
    2. Savings in bank $53,000
    3. Stocks investments $23,000
    4. Park model RV private deeded land in HOA, valued at $78,000 owned free and clear.
    5. Credit lines via credit cards $35,000 WITH ZERO BALANCE DUE.
    6. Not one blemish on credit history.
    7. Aprox $70,000 per year income via driving.
    8. No auto loans, no personal loans, no debts of any kind anywhere.

truck driver for 3.5 years with a five month gap between jobs. And this is why I’ll be turned down. Absolutely insane.
    Not to mention as I’ve noted here before the property that I buy probably yield about a $900 a month payment including taxes and insurance. It will bring me in at least 2000 a month in income via Airbnb. So it’s not even gonna cost me anything to own my own home.

underwriters are stupid. Sorry they just are.

VinceBlack, D.Tibbitt and 6wheeler Thank this.
  8. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    The bigger problem is the noose that the federal government has around the necks of these lenders. Every time the government gets their regulatory power over an industry..... They eff it all up!

9. Accidental Trucker

Jun 4, 2015
    Again, you need to sit down with someone and have a discussion. Depending on what price range house you are looking at, someone at a local bank or credit union can make decisions.
    The under writing standards are set by the big consolidators (Freddie Mac, VA, FHA, USDA), so they can buy and sell CONFORMING loans, package them in big chunks and deal with them without having to look at each one.

There’s no law that says all mortgages have to be conforming mortgages. If a lender doesn’t plan to sell the loan, they can do whatever is legal under the law. But the only way you can get to someone who can make a judgement call instead of just checking boxes is to SIT DOWN with YOUR local bank and figure things out together. If you know you don’t meet the standards for a conforming loan, then you have to make a deal with someone who can make a non-conforming loan. Calling 30 internet sales dweebs is not going to help. They all run the same software package.

Dockbumper Thanks this.
  10. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    The reason you were tuned down the first time wasn't because you earned your income via cpm ... it was because you had no track record proving your ability to earn an income via cpm.

You've mostly solved that issue now. Though the the employment gap could become a hurdle. But, not an insurmountable one.

If I understand what you're saying, your real issue is this is a second home and not your primary residence ... you've now entered the twilight zone.

Don't tell the lender that. This is going to be your new home. You don't have a mortgage on your current home. It will be an easier pill for them to swallow if you say you're going to live in the new home and rent your current residence, than the other way around.

11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I was told on my purchase and refi 12 months later.

2 years at the same job. Low debt to income ratio. NOOOOO purchases till 60 days after close. OR credit inquiries.

I bought new. And refied 12 months later.
    Only thing I had was my car loan.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.