Motor Carrier hiring Broker to cover loads due to truck shortage

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by saoen1969, Sep 30, 2020.

1. saoen1969

saoen1969 Bobtail Member

Sep 30, 2020
    My brother in law owns a trucking company with 8 trucks (Hot shot) and has a customer that needed 10 truck loads moved. I work for a broker and he wants me to cover the 2 loads he cannot. He does not want the client to call someone else as this is his primary customer and does not want them to feel he cannot cover the loads. He will hire me to get a truck to cover the loads and he will be my customer. My supervisor said this is legal but our co-worker claims it is not. We looked it up and could not get a solid answer as I feel this is not double brokered but nor is it interlining... any thoughts.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    As long as your not cutting the rate, it shouldn’t matter.

The company has the load, he can’t cover it so he’s having you a broker get trucks. I don’t see the problem, big companies broker our loads they can’t cover.

4. saoen1969

saoen1969 Bobtail Member

Sep 30, 2020
    what do you mean cutting the rate? He said we could only charge him x amount so I would more than likely post this amount minus our % for broker... in this case 10%... i.e, He said $100 max charge we would then post on board for $90.00

5. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Unless you are billing the shipper direct, he's brokering the freight to you without broker authority.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.