Move west young man.....(a little long)

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by FredZeppelin77, Dec 29, 2019.

1. FredZeppelin77

FredZeppelin77 Light Load Member

Aug 31, 2013
    Floridian panhandler
    Well, not entirely a "young" man- 42- but look and feel like I'm in my 30's.

I wanted to post my situation and get any advice or guidance from other drivers.

Lived my whole life in Florida, and have 1 year 8 months total experience all hazmat chemical tanker with a total of 2 companies. Single/ never married/ no kids. Currently not working , with a contract to sell my house here south of Jacksonville at the end of January. Most recently came off the road with a pretty good tanker outfit to find something local- found something but realized I'm sick and tired of living in this swamp of a state. And really want to get back into a truck, but mostly want to live out West. Always have. Fell in love with New Mexico and Utah. But may be open to other states minus California. I know New Mexico gets a bad rap- especially Albuquerque , where I have been researching heavily. But could really see myself retiring somewhere in New Mexico when it comes time.

I have used the search function to good results on this forum to gain information related to my plans , but thought putting my thoughts out there may get a better result.

So my plan is currently to sell my house and take savings to relocate completely to either 1) Albuquerque, NM 2) Tucson, AZ 3) Maybe Nevada 4) SLC Utah - I would have enough to get a place at least temporary or an apartment with living expenses covered for a good while while looking for work.

I would really like to find something local, but would not be opposed to OTR or regional (concentrating on Western 11 Ideally)

Just wondering, am I dreaming here? Asking for too much? Haven't been in the seat since late July, but feel I would be an asset to any company I go with. No accidents or disciplinary actions- clean record Hazmat/ TWIC / and passport. Only issue I see would be my gap in employment, and not having a total 2 years experience.

I realize it's awfully risky, but also feel time bearing down and know it may be now or never.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Call praxair and get in a truck. Don't fixate on location, nothing is permanent, everything is temporary. Find the job you want and move to where it makes most sense. After a couple of years, upgrade to the next station in life.

On a personal note, SLC is a BIG change from FLA. Probably about 10 degrees this morning.... and snowing now.

4. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    SLC is a great place for a local job. New mexico sucks and is a complete ####hole.

5. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    SLC Utah area is nice and a good place to truck with I-80 and I-15 running right through it. A boat load of trucking companies there and seems to be truck friendly. Lots of smaller towns all on the outskirts of SLC. Dont move to Cali because they are anti truck, anti business, pro homeless and criminals running sround everywhere.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  6. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Reno is nice but not the best area for a trucking career, and then you have the infamous Donner pass you would have to negotiate every winter. The phoenix are is pro Truck, pro gun, pro business and good place to live. Hot, but no humidity like Florida.

7. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    The freight in phoenix sucks unless u pull dry van or reefer

8. Deere hunter

Deere hunter Road Train Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Shallowater Texas
    Yep your wanting to move to Idaho, totally the spot for you!! Truck friendly lots of local jobs and lots of recreational things to do!!!

9. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Don't let your dream become a nightmare by moving to Albucrazy or Tucson as both are high crime cities.

Nothing like coming home to your apartment complex crawling with cops because some punks murdered each other. Or waking up to discover your vehicle is missing.

Bad neighborhood? Every neighborhood in Tucson is bad. If you simply must live in Tucson, consider Oro Valley or Green Valley.

In Arizona, Phoenix has all the good jobs.

I know next to nothing about ABQ other than it's another high crime city. But I do enjoy that I can park my tractor and trailer along Broadway off I-25 to peruse the junkyards.

I've considered moving to SLC once upon a time. There is or was good local work to be had outside of Tooele (two-ellee).

SLC is a trucking Mecca, so finding local work there would be very easy.

@Chinatown can offer many suggestions as to finding work in the Las Vegas area.

Delivering to Flowers bakery several days ago, I decided to look at rental home prices in Henderson. It's possible to rent a 2000 square foot three or four bedroom house for under $1600 per month. Check out listings on Zillow.

Mesquite, Nevada is growing town, too.
    Don't know anything about what's going on there, but Mesquite does have a new Flying J and Walmart.

Buckeye, Arizona is also growing quickly, but the water quality is truly awful.

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I live in Henderson and you're right about the rent. Beautiful area. I don't rent, but rent is reasonable.
    Good friend of mine lives in SLC (Sandy) and loves it there, except for the snow.
    I'd narrow it down to SLC, Phoenix, Las Vegas/Henderson.
    Personally, I also like Winnemucca and Reno and they're both on Interstate 80.
    Henderson & Las Vegas are on Interstate 15 and the new Interstate 11.
    One big draw for me, moving to Nevada, is no state income taxes and no food taxes at the grocery store.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Plenty of local and western 11 jobs in Phoenix, SLC, and the cities I mentioned in Nevada.
    Several line haul outfits, such as Old Dominion and Estes Express which pay really well.
    @Accidental Trucker mentioned Praxair, and that company has plenty of terminals.
    Plenty of tanker jobs also in the cities you listed.
    @CK73 can give you information on Reno.

bentstrider83 and Upinsmoke Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.