Moving 5th wheel RV trailer with big truck

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by slow.rider, May 3, 2021.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Why would you?

plate here is $300 for a permanent plate.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    How much is sales tax? And can you plate there while not living there?

4. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I did both for 5 years. Towed a 5th wheel toy hauler with my tractor with a regular commercial 5th wheel plate (just babied it), and then dropped the RV for the season and continued trucking. I did about 20,000 miles in those 5 years towing the RV with no damage. Spent summers in Indiana, winters in Alabama. Sometimes other locations. @Mr. Cob and I used to swap stories at the HDT convention in Kansas every October. Ask him about his Ural motorcycle.
    Minor modifications included an extra set of lights on the back (dedicated for brake lights, like a class 8 trailer) and an electric brake controller operated by air pressure.
    As far as the living arrangements, legalities, I would suggest you become a member of Escapees RV club, they can answer a lot of questions, they are dedicated to individuals who live full time in an RV and the special circumstances it presents.
    W&P Oct 2017.JPG

Mr. Cob, slow.rider and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  5. DrFlush

DrFlush Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Just a heads up, you cannot plate an RV trailer in Maine unless you live there. At least that is how it was when I plated my step there a couple years ago while living in NY.

slow.rider Thanks this.
  6. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    That's awesome. How did you handle your mail?

7. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Light Load Member

Howdy Jeff,

I have missed our conversations at the national Rally, I haven't back that far east for the last three years, now that my wife is retired I don't do as much wandering alone as I used to. Hope all is well and that our trails will cross again.

Dave

Wasted Thyme and John E. Thank this.
  8. Cowboyrich

Cowboyrich Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Dayton, Washington
    There are Mail services that will forward to you, I used a UPS store at one point and had an actual street address also, could contact someplace around the oil patch. Also used my mom's address for a long time and just paid her to send to me. There's ways...sometimes creative just because you have an address doesn't mean you live there. I would pick someplace close to where you plan to work and shop the license fees. Also right about now is a good time for buying used in snow bird country, I've seen trailers that were 50k+ go for around 20 because they don't like living that way, someone dies, there's a host of reasons.

slow.rider Thanks this.
  9. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I reread your original post. It sounds like you are early in the thinking process.
    You mentioned purchasing property in different states and parking the RV seasonally or as needed. You may find that unworkable, leaving the RV on naked property, unless someone is nearby to check on it usually results in break ins, or vandalism. If you can figure out the security and or zoning issues fine.
    Next up is why I mentioned the Escapees RV club and full time living in an RV. They can explain the difference between residences and domicile. You can have as many residences as you wish, but you can only have one legal domicile. And that is determined by a lot of things, what state is your drivers license in, where do you expect to return to, where do you vote, pay state income taxes, a myriad of other variables. Living full time in an RV doesn't fit the common domicile definitions. And that is where Escapees can help explain. they have an excellent mailing service specifically for what you are looking for. But if you don't establish the domicile correctly, especially with things like the Real ID law (drivers license requirements proving domicile) banking regulations, and several others, some states will try to say you are domiciled there and try to collect taxes from you, even if you only were there for a short period of time.
    Escapees has 3 choices South Dakota, Florida, or Texas where they can help you set up a legal domicile. Or you could use one of the properties that you buy. PM me if you would like more information.

slow.rider and Mr. Cob Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.