Moving from Chicago, IL to Knoxville,TN

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Iwtbrandh, May 16, 2020.

1. Iwtbrandh

Iwtbrandh Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2020
    Hey folks,
    as the title says, after calling Chicago home for almost 15 years, I am ready to leave the midwest. I mentioned Knoxville but I am still not 100% sure about my destination. I narrowed my search down to a few places. Knoxville is on the top. It's not the place where I see myself leaving "forever", but instead, I see it more of a transitional place at this stage in my life. However, you can never know. I love being near the mountains, I like the size of the city, I love the idea that you can rent a nice apartment real cheap compare to Chicago prices and if I would decide to buy a house, soon or a later, I would get much more for my $$. I have my own truck and do over the road. Currently, I am not driving due to COVID low rates. However, I do believe in "don't bet against America" and when I say that, I see the business getting back on its track in the near future. I would like to hear what some of you, with experience living in Knoxville, would say about the pros and cons of living there. I read many reviews on the internet but I am specifically interested in what the truckers would say to this.
    By the way, other places on my list are Richmond VA, Asheville NC, Charlotte NC, Wilmington NC, and Tampa FL. I love Utah but not sure I want to move there while I am still in the trucking business. Also, I forgot to mention, my plan is to stay in the trucking business for a year more. Not more than that.
    I hope you all are well and healthy!

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Gsm and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I live just outside Knoxville. Good market in and out. Not great but fine with me. I would choose Asheville or Tri-Cities if I could move but they aren't as good of markets as Knox area. Chattanooga is a great town to live in as well I've heard.

Specifically, taxes and the cost of living are cheap here. People are nice, crime isn't bad. You won't have any trouble finding a place to park your truck compared to up north.

Good luck

4. BigDog Trucker

BigDog Trucker Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Wait 5 more yrs when more rotten apples from chicago, CA, and the northeast keep flooding the south. It will be just as bad with high cost of living, rising taxes, and insane liberal policies.

5. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Interesting take on your fellow man. Land of the free, bro, love it or leave it.

...And I doubt much is going to change in the south in a hurry. Worst case maybe I can buy a beer on Sunday.

6. BigDog Trucker

BigDog Trucker Heavy Load Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Yeah bro, totally. Toke up that weed and buy all the booze you want on sundays. Cool.

Lumper Humper and JonJon78 Thank this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Knoxville’s a great city. Good Trucking Town. Not as expensive and snooty as Nashville. More Blue Collar. Whole array of affordable housing, in and around Town. Avoid the area east around Kenworth Dealership, specifically Cherry street, south of 40. Crack, meth infested area. I’m sure there’s others in town, along with up in the hills. People are friendly, sometimes it’s hard to tell if they’re sincere. Beware of the two faces of the south. Things aren’t always as they appear. I think Knoxville to Chattanooga is a good choice. Almost anywhere, except around a paper mill. You’ll figure the areas out, after renting for a while. The cold weather and snow amounts seem to change right through there. Less snow further south, if any.

Iwtbrandh and bryan21384 Thank this.
  8. GoneButNotForgotten

GoneButNotForgotten Heavy Load Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Roxboro, N.C.
    Asheville has become a destination area for those from Florida and the Northeast for vacations and to homestead/retire. Of course it has driven cost of living prices up quite a bit. As to Wilmington, noticed quite a bit of tanker work in that area, it is where I-40 ends of the east coast. Maybe @Sirscrapntruckalot can give you a better take on that area.

9. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    the greater Charlotte area is a trucking hub. just don't stay too close to Charlotte, it's expensive.

10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Moving from Chicago to Knoxville. You’re finally free! Go buy a gun and a motorcycle.

11. Wespipes

Wespipes Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2019
    I moved from California to Huntingdon, tn. I'll tell you my insurance went down by $240 a month. Coming from IL, you'll probably see around the same results

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.