Moving OOS trailer to shop

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by scott180, May 22, 2022.

1. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    20220521_164301.jpg 20220521_164311.jpg 20220521_164249.jpg
    Bad slack adjusters were found during post trip. These are about two months old and were put in by the Turlock FlyingJ in CA. The TA here in Missouri says they were put in wrong and caused the failures and it would be better to have a trailer shop work on it then them.
    The trailer rolls fine and is loaded light (30k lb) and I didn't feel anything wrong only seeing them hanging caught the problem. Obviously this is an OOS issue since the rear axle has no breaks. All driving has stopped till it's fixed.

The question is how will they tow it?
    Can I legally move it to a repair shop on my own?
    Is there anyway to move it using my tractor with the repair shops towing authority?

While I would like to help my company out I have zero interest in violating the law in any way that affects my license.

Two points of clarification.
    1) Our mechanic last week did the yearly trailer inspection so there's no reason I should of caught it till it failed. Everything looked fine.
    2) my company has in no way asked me to do anything illegal. I'm just trying to figure out our options for when the shops open on Monday.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    That’s one of those things that doesn’t make any sense to me. I don’t know how towing that trailer up the road with a wrecker is any different than doing it with a tractor, but it is apparently. I’ve even seen trailers that were O/S pulled out of scales with a towing company tractor hooked to them. Depends on the regs where you are.

4. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    The main reason, is because the trailer can be useless on the back of a tow truck, that has the control and it's just freewheeling, on the back of your trailer, it has to be aired up and with a load on it, is actually going to have to help control the load, braking and such, as that is why it shouldn't be moved by your vehicle until it's repaired. Now that said, I've done my share of limping things to a location...and it's up to you. I've got a mechanic background, so my judgement will be based on the situation. If you get pulled in or inspected, that's the chance you take to do the company a 'favor'. It's up to you, but be aware that because of that load, light or not, you are supposed to not move it until it is repaired. Your call. Can't soothe your anxiety, as unless you are qualified to do tow away, you're subject as a driver. :(

5. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    They could just call roadside and tell em the issue. Not a big repair.

6. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    As an employee, you should not move that trailer a single inch. Your employer can work it out with Flying J. Looks like the s cam is snapped in two. There work is warranteed.

The other one doesn't even look like it was attached. Like they didn't finish the job. How did that trailer get pulled for two months with nobody catching these like that? Crazy.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  7. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    It should be moved only by a wrecker.
    You are not allowed to touch an OOS trailer.

Flat Earth Trucker, scott180 and CAXPT Thank this.
  8. teams567

teams567 Medium Load Member

Jan 3, 2022
    Why would a tow be necessary just because of slack adjusters?

As someone said, it's an easy fix.

9. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Let the company handle it, they tell you to move it have them fax you the order, if you get hit it’s 100% on you.

10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    If it's light enough (is 30k total trailer weight, or just cargo?) you can have J pull the 4 tires off, chain it up and drag it yourself. As long as you still make the 20k on the single axle you are good to go.

11. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    Maybe that’s what the guy in that other video that’s floating around decided to do to move the trailer.
    Just hit a post hard enough to knock the axles off and keep on going.
    Gotta make that delivery appointment……

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.