Moving to Fort Worth TX in the next 4 months, good paying local jobs?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by dextrdog, Jul 23, 2019.

1. dextrdog

dextrdog Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Family and I have had enough of these winters in WI so we’re looking to move down to DFW. I have 10 years class A local experience and my current company doesn’t have any openings down there as of yet. I also have tanker fuel hauling experience. I know most of the good jobs are never posted and my buddy that transferred down there from here told me the economical growth in DFW is crazy right now. What are some good companies to work for down there that get you home every night and pay well? Thanks in advance

@Chinatown

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2019
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Sorry, Tx is full. Try again next life time.

Yes everywhere in Tx is exploding with transplants. Have you looked at housing costs down here vs up there? They've skyrocketed.

Im not up on local DFW based co's though.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  4. dextrdog

dextrdog Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Lol is that a Texas saying, I’ve heard that from a few people... I’ve looked at housing and believe it or not it’s much cheaper than where we live now. Schools are better here and houses are hard to come by. I’ve been looking at DFW and there is hundreds of listings. Is everyone offloading for profits or is everyone moving???

5. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Probably house flippers. Doesn't take much smarts to figure out Texas will have a hot real estate market for the next couple years.

6. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Multiple fuel hauler outfits in DFW, Linde has a rail based CO2 station on the Northside, Loves tankers load in north DFW.
    As for LTL with have Fedex Freight and Estes both on the Northside off Loop 820. Central has a large yard, old dominion has a small terminal.
    Saddle Creek has quite a few facilities over here, Ryder has a lot of contracts. Just a basic indeed search will show you hundreds of available positions. I would advise avoiding aggregate unless they have a strong weekly minimum(800+), rates can get crazy low and work slows down a lot in the winter.

DFW is pricey right now(Austin pricing), Houston housing market is still buyer friendly. Key part of home affordability in Texas is being outside of city limits. School taxes are always high, but in return we don’t have state income tax.
    Property taxes in a large city like Fort Worth will be close to 3%, so plan for 450$/month in taxes on a 200k home. Living outside the cities and only paying county/school taxes results in a rate closer to 1.5% of appraised value or 250/month on the same house.

Depending on the spouse’s career, I would recommend Houston metro for home daily tanker jobs, both for home prices and just being close to the gulf.

7. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    All of that sounds like solid information, but I'll add one more thing.

Based on the weather in Eastern Texas for the last few years, make absolutely certain you buy land that sits a few feet **HIGHER** than the 100-year-flood elevation level.

8. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Millis runs beer out of Burleson. They're a pretty good company.
    @Chinatown might be able to help.

9. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    What do you mean by "local"?

Home every day?
    Regional.. home every other'ish?

We have a terminal in Grand Prairie that's always hiring.. because nobody likes to work for their paycheck.

LTL furniture delivery to DCs and stores.
    The more you're willing to work, the more $$ .. naturally.. but you won't be sitting in docks all day getting loaded and unloaded twiddling your thumbs.
    It's go go go.
    Mileage.. stop pay.. hotels on layovers.. layover pay.. per diem.

A normal week Mon morn delivery with 8-15 stops (1-2 days)
    Return to terminal and likely spend night at home and back out on a 1-2 day load.
    Depends on you.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  10. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I see a guy on YouTube that works for the HUB GROUP. Do Walmart refrigerated. He gets paid by the hour and over time. He start working like midnight. He seems tomlike just because it get him home every day and paid by the hour. I think the DC is like 30 miles south of fort Worth or some were around their

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  11. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    I work out of Houston and you couldn't give me a million bucks to live there.

Coal City Cob and Celadon on the south side, along 35E.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.