1. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    Motel Sleepers Inc. This company provides motels for railroad working crews. They are based out of Little Rock, Arkansas . Out of Lexington, Va at the TA they keep some specially designed trucks and what they do is deliver food and fuel to working railroad crews. The food is delivered to the kitchen on the train and the fuel is pumped into smaller vehicles. Every so often, there is an ad on Craigslist for drivers. It is a team operation, 2 or 3 days per week. My question, does anyone know anything about this operation??

I have never seen the trucks or ran into anyone who has done this type of work and I am real curious. Sounds like a pretty good deal for a "retiree" or someone who doesn't want to work everyday. The pay isn't bad. Only drawback on my part is the "team operation".

Appreciate if someone has some information.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I am not aware of any kitchens on board working Freight engines.

I am not aware of a need to pump fuel out of the engines into something else without the express authority vested in the roadmaster.

These people are very secretive when they go about their work dogcatching train crews at the end of their 16 hour shift. The engine stays put until a legal crew with hours are put on. Might be a few days.

If you are told to go catch a crew, you must be obsessively precise where you put that van. You cannot be on this end of the bridge only to find they stopped over there on the other side of the bridge. The train is STOPPED and WILL STAY right where it is. You are the one who needs to fix the problem by getting the truck to the engine. To restart a train is a incredibly expensive problem.

There is nothing more time sensitive than this anywhere. That crew you collected has to be in the hotel, dinner etc whatever be as it may. In a very timely manner.

It is not necessarily a good fit for someone seeking to slow down. Quite the opposite.

Disclaimer, I am not a railroad man. However I move within a small circle of people here in Arkansas who one way or another are involved with railroads. SO it's not too difficult for me to understand why they do things the way they do. That clock is the ultimate tyrant. Everyone is constantly short on time. So they hop to it.

4. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    Here is the ad

"Class A licensed driver with hazardous materials and tanker endorsements needed. This position is for a team driver. Two drivers in the truck at all times. You would deliver diesel fuel and food in a specifically designed truck and tanker to railroad maintenance gangs. Drivers load and unload the truck. The fuel would be pumped into smaller fuel trucks, and the food delivered to a rail rolling kitchen attached to a work train. Most weeks are 2 work days but can extend into a third. Work schedule is usually Monday/Tuesday but may change to Sunday/Monday. You will report at the TA truck stop in Lexington VA by 4:30AM on the day you're scheduled to leave on your route and return there when route completed. The trucks stay parked there. Competitive pay at $655/week, paid vacation, insurance and meal reimbursement while working. Company pays for all hotel stays while on route."

5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Sound too much like a real job to me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.