MTI in Georgia.

Discussion in 'Millis' started by srick773, Sep 20, 2008.

1. srick773

srick773 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Augusta, Georgia
    Well I did it. First week of school under my belt. Ok first of all let me say that Greg our instructor is top notch, great instructor. First few days is all book stuff, log books, trip planning, map reading, communicating intent on roadways, road scanning, stuff like that. Wednesday, Millis 500. we got to drive around the yard on this day, working on shifting patterns, getting a feel for a big truck. I was honestly surprised how much the air ride seats really do help. could hardly fell any of the bumps in the seat. Thursday was more classroom, and outside classroom. obstacle avoidance, watching for other idiots I mean drivers on the roadway. And outside was the pretrip. Really learn the pretrip people. very important. We looked the trucks and trailers up and down, side to side, and inside and out. Friday, ohh what can I say about friday. Small roadtrip bobtail all over the Cartersville area, and then some. up and down hills, windy roads, interstate, straight boreing roads, corners, corners, oh and corners. Shifting is the biggy on this day. You basically get the shifting patterns on wendsday in the Millis 500 and try to perfect it some on Friday. I have a problem going from 5th to 6th, and some downshifting. Now the equipment to train on is ok to good. Two older freightliners, one white, and one burgandy, and a newer T2000 which is also white. The sleepers of the two white truck had all the inside pulled out, and 5 air ride seats put in the back. Also the T2000 has two more doors put on the sides of the sleeper area to make it easier to get in and out. Everything Millis owns has CAT engines and Eaton Fuller 10 speeds. Most OTR trucks are either KW T2000, KW T600, or the new Freightliner Cascadias, which are for the older drivers only. When I graduate from my trainer I was told I would probably get an 06 T2000. Oh looking back at this post I forgot to mention, that also on Friday we did coupling and uncoupling, and started straight line backing. second week is devoted almost exclusevley to backing of all types. :biggrin_2551: That is going to be the make or break point for some in our class. I would be lying if I said I was not worried about it but I am confident I can do it. when I straight backed on friday, Greg told me I did better than he expected me to, which is good I think. I hope this helps everybody. Wish me luck.

Big Duker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hitman

Hitman Mr. Gamer

Sep 5, 2006
    Tioga, PA
    Way to go, sounds like you're off to a great start. Keep your positive attitude and you'll be fine. Please keep us updated on MTI and your progress. Millis is the company i'm seriously considering when i'm ready to get into trucking. I'll be going to the Ohio facility. Best of luck to you.

4. Jeepwj02

Jeepwj02 Light Load Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Georgia
    Glad to see your doing good. Hang in there and keep up the good work. If nothing stops me between now and Oct. 13 I will be attending school if not then later in Oct. Looking forward to FINALLY get started.

Hows the living situation? Single rooms or bunk with people? Are you in a motel?

Eating...Are there any restaurants close to the hotel or MTI ??

What do you guys do on weekends? I live about a good 30-40 minute drive from MTI and I was wanting to come home on weekends if we dont have any school.

Thanks for the updates keep them coming !!

5. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    Sounds like you are progressing very well. Don't worry too much about backing. They will show you how to set up properly and in a few days or weeks you will be doing it like an old hand. Just do as they say and you will be out on your own in no time.:biggrin_25525:

6. reilley

reilley Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2007
    CNYS
    Sounds like you are doing ok and you like it. My hubby has one of the Freightliner Cascadias. yep he like it alot. when you get on your own you will like it even better.
    There are times that Hubby and I have had cook outs here for drivers that are around for a long weekend

7. srick773

Aug 7, 2008
    Augusta, Georgia
    Ok this will be a long one. This is for the last two weeks of the MTI school because I could'nt come back to my house last weekend and I will explain why.
    Ok week two was devoted to backing. Alley docking, offset backing, parralel parking, blindside paralel parking, and straight backing. Boy this stuff is tuff. With alley docking you half to almost jack the truck and trailer then straighten it out, and your almost 90 degrees in the opposit direction to put it in this little narrow slot. Anyway, at the end of that week we had a test and one of the people in the class did not pass it, and he had to go home. Luckely I was not him.
    The third week was completely driving. Highway driving, city driving, backroad two lane driving, mountain driving. It's amazing how much your rear end can merge with the seat when your going down a long steep hill and you miss a shift. Now I realize your supposed to use the Jakes and we are encourajed to. But they wanted to teach us how to decend hills if your Jakes are not working properly. Also the school is in Ga. There were 8 of us left and we got to take a small road trip to Trenton Ohio to move some trailers. The Ohio yard had two trailers at our yard and the class got to bring them back to there yard. Then we got to bring two more trailers back to Ga. All of them were empty. And at the end of the third week we took our road test. Nobody failed the road test so everyone who was left is going out with the trainer drivers. Now we get to go to orrientation on the 6th 7th and 8th.
    As far as equipment goes I think I put that in the first entry I made for this thread. I hope this helps. If I did'nt cover something let me know.

Big Duker Thanks this.
  8. DragginmyFeet

DragginmyFeet Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2008
    PA
    Srick773, I have a question. How many days after you turned in your application were you contacted letting you know you got the job?

9. srick773

Aug 7, 2008
    Augusta, Georgia
    just a little over a week. But I called two days after I put it turned it in and the guy who answered the phone said I had been accepted and my letter was on the way.

DragginmyFeet Thanks this.
  10. DragginmyFeet

DragginmyFeet Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2008
    PA
    Good deal. They told me that if you hear your in if not your out. I figured I would call early next week. I know you cant put all your eggs in one basket but once you get set on one company its really hard to look elsewhere and not compare

chaser1 Thanks this.
  11. srick773

Aug 7, 2008
    Augusta, Georgia
    Jeep, I just saw your question. The hotel we are staying at is the Americas Best inn. It's ok. about average for a small hotel. The only real problem I had with it was the water. In the shower once you get the water regulated it then fluctuates between scalding hot and luke warm. There are some restaraunts in the area. right beside the hotel is the second half sports bar. It's actually pretty good. the guy who ownes it went to school in New York to be a chef. He is darn good. If you get the wings, get the Jamaican jerk, it's awsome.
    Across the bridge of the interstate is the T/A and the Pilot truck stops. Both have fast food in them, but a bit pricey. Best thing to do is go to Wal-Mart and get some stuff to make in the microwave. There is a microwave and a small refrigerator in the rooms, and you have to share the room with another student.

chaser1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.