MTI School Cost and "What to bring"

Discussion in 'Millis' started by Arthur Dent, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Starship Bistromath
    It's likely that most of this information is already spread among various Millis posts, but I'll make an attempt at bringing some of it together for ease of reference and clarity. Sorry for any redundancy. If anything here isn't deemed accurate, please let me know, as I don't want to mislead anyone and I want to make sure my understanding is correct. Millis seems to have changed their schooling costs over time, this is what currently applies.

Cost of training:

There are 3 components of the training/employment payment:
    1. Deposit totaling $500
    2. Agreement being $2,000
    3. Promissory Note being $2,500
    Deposit:
    $100 advance deposit is required to reserve your place in a class. They will advise you of which class once the money is received (the money will be requested once they've approved your application)
    $400 is due upon arrival at class (the $400 plus the initial $100 deposit completes the $500 payment that is often referenced).

Agreement:
    You'll sign a promissory note for $2,000 that will be paid back in weekly payroll deductions of $20. No interest applies. Note: if you should leave Millis before this $2,000 is paid in full the balance is due with 18% interest applying. The Promissory Note isn't that well written as it doesn't state whether the 18% interest applies retroactively to the entire $2,000 and from date of agreement, or to the balance due at time of default, but I digress. :biggrin_25519: But wait, there's more!

Promissory Note:
    You'll also need to sign an Agreement which stipulates you agree to pay $2,500 additional to Millis if you aren't employed there after one year from the date your training started (they don't define "training" as class or road, but it's a small difference in time that one needs to be aware of). If you are employed with Millis after one year, Millis forfeits their claim to the Promissory Note amount of $2,500. No money is paid or deducted towards this $2,500, it only comes into play if you leave before reaching one year of employment with Millis.

All this means one of two things:

If you leave Millis before one year of employment, your cost of training will be:
    $500 ($100 deposit plus $400 due at class)
    $2,000 Promissory Note (this amount is reduced by the amount of weekly $20 deductions)
    $2,500 Agreement
    $5,000 total cost of training at Millis (though could be more depending on the amount of interest associated with the Promissory Note)

or;

You are still employed at Millis after one year, hopefully, which means your cost of training will be:
    $500 ($100 deposit plus $400 due at class)
    $2,000 Promissory Note
    $2,500 Agreement is waived as you're employed after a period of one year
    $2,500 total cost of training at Millis ($500 deposit plus the $2,000 Promissory Note)

What you'll need to bring to training:

Once you've paid your $100 you'll receive a letter confirming your class date and also outlining what you'll need to bring. That letter states the following.

1. Voided personal check to be used for setting up direct deposit
    2. Social Security numbers of all family members that will be on your insurance
    3. CDL license or learners permit with air brakes and combination vehicles and no restrictions
    4. CDL manual from your state of residence
    5. Personal expense money for 3 weeks
    6. Appropriate clothing, work gloves, flashlight, Rand McNally motor carrier atlas
    7. Social Security card or Birth Certificate
    8. Clear ruler, calculator, black pens, pencils, note pads
    9. Alarm clock
    10. Personal Hygiene items
    11. Current DOT physical (need both the card and the long form)
    12. Appearance Code: Except for ears, no visible body piercing; for males, hair not more than shoulder length and facial hair trimmed and neat
    Lodging for the Richfield, WI class is at the Super 8 which is on exit 52 off interstate 41/45. Daily shuttle during class is provided.

I already have my CDL and prior driving experience (it was 20 years ago), but since it's not recent I'll need to go through Millis' school (I really don't think my past experience will provide any benefit, as it seems it's a whole new industry). To give you a notion of time from acceptance to class, I was accepted the first week of November, and I''m scheduled for the Feb 16th class in Richfield, WI. If anyone else if going to be there, let me know. I'm looking forward to it!

Drive safe.
    GD

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
    wayneplatek, Alabamaspirit and Baack Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. swisschris62

swisschris62 Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2008
    here, there, everywhere
    hey bro
    im going out there on feb 16th also
    i am very excited about going there
    how you getting out there?
    chris

4. Arthur Dent

Aug 26, 2008
    Starship Bistromath
    Chris,
    At the moment, I was planning on flying out and having my daughter pick me up at the Milwaukee airport. She lives not far from the school so she could drop me off. I'd be flying out of Newark, so if that's an option for you, we could coordinate as there'd be room in the car for you. Otherwise, if you were planning on driving out, I'd be happy to car pool and share the driving/costs. Let me know and we can take from there.
    Cheers, GD

5. swisschris62

Oct 14, 2008
    here, there, everywhere
    hey gd
    call me when you get a chance
    and we talk
    im driving out
    makes it easier to get personal stuff out there and then im not stuck during the weekends
    what part of pa u in?
    chris

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2009
  6. Arthur Dent

Aug 26, 2008
    Starship Bistromath
    Upate to "MTI School Cost and "What to bring"

When class is complete, it's up to the student to whether they want to join up with their trainer from the school location, or to go home and join up with them from there. For me, I'll want to weigh the following in making that decision:
    1. Getting home after 3 weeks of training and before going on the road for 5 weeks with my trainer
    2. Whether my transportation to school is round trip or one way and what type of transportation makes sense
    3. What I'd need to bring to class if I opt to leave from class with my trainer
    4. I depends on how long of a wait it is right now to join up with a trainer
    5. What my wife wants :biggrin_25525:
    I'm looking forward to working for Millis!
    Cheers, GD

7. ANewTruckerOf09

ANewTruckerOf09 Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Marietta, GA
    when are you going to millis im expecting my packet in the mail anyday

8. Sredwos

Sredwos Bobtail Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Kentucky
    I was curious about this too. After 3 weeks of training and then 3 days of orientation I would like to go home for at least a few days before going out with my trainer. Especially since I plan on driving to the Cartersville, GA location in my own vehicle.

Does anyone know if Millis trainers will come by your house, or at least to a nearby truck stop on the interstate, to pick you up for your training?

9. swisschris62

Oct 14, 2008
    here, there, everywhere
    hey sredwos
    i am going to millis in wi. starting feb 16th and i filled out my online app back sometime before xmas
    i am not trying to come across real hard on you here and asking questions is a good thing but come on bro your asking guys that havent even been there themselves yet what phone number you should call the company on and whether a trainer is going to come by your house to pick you up to go training
    these questions are border line ridiculous and im just wondering how you would make it from one side of the country to the other in a truck by your lonesome
    heres an idea...call the first number on your list there and if you call and they cant help you then call the other number
    id be willing to bet that if the first number doesnt work that the person on the other end might be able to put you on hold and get you to the right number...if not then hang up and call the second number
    as far as getting picked up to go training...im living in ny currently and driving to wi.
    after i am done with my 3 weeks if a trainer is available to take me out immediately then that will be great and ill figure out how to get my personal vehicle home sometime in the future.
    if there is no trainer available immediately theni wll drive home and do whatever it takes to get my ### to the truck and trainer and if they can make that process a tad bit simpler for me then that will be nice but if not then ill just deal with it
    this is a job we are applying for and i dont got anyone holding our hand throughout the process
    there are people all over this country losing jobs and homes these days and would be willing to walk to the moon and back to get food on their tables
    i cant imagine this is going to be a cake walk every step of the way...what i do believe it is going to be is alot of hard work and alot of decision making... which way should i go, where should i fuel up, should i drive on that icy road through the night or can i pull over and still get my load there on time if i drive during the day light hours etc
    if your having a hard time with the easy questions what are you going to do when the questions get a little harder?
    come on bro its really not that hard...have a little self confidence and youll feel better about yourself
    i know ... in my free time i go skydiving
    head on over to a drop zone whereever your at and start jumping out of airplanes
    it does wonders for your self confidence and before you know it youll be making split second decisions at a moments notice and know in your heart that you made the right decision
    good luck

10. Sredwos

Sredwos Bobtail Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Kentucky
    It's answers like this that make me wonder why I even bother with forums. I came here seeking information and instead I get my judgement and my "smarts" questioned by someone who doesn't even know me because I simply posted some questions.

I know these people haven't been to MTI themselves, but the funny thing is THIS thread was started by someone who is educated in how MTI operates and I would guess also how Millis Transfer works. So why would I not ask questions in this thread? The original poster had enough information to make a long an informative starting post so why would they not have the answer to my question?

And as far as the "which number do I call" question I was asking someone who had called them seeking the exact same information I am seeking. So to ask them which number they called is not a stupid question. They called the number. Got a status on their application. Which is EXACTLY what I am trying to do. So again, why would I not ask that question in that thread?

I guess I will take the advice of a few members on here now, and stay as far away from trucking as I possibly can. If my "co-workers" in trucking are going to be as rude as you then I don't want no part of the industry. I was raised to be nice and polite to people and to not judge someone's ability to do something by simply asking people targeted questions which I know they have the answer to.

So maybe you should have stopped for a minute and used your brain to realize that the people I asked DID have the answers to my questions. I wasn't simply asking someone who had NEVER been to MTI training or someone who had NEVER applied to MTI. I asked relevant questions that I know for a fact either they or someone else on this forum would of had answers to.

You were in a rush to put me down and belittle me so you didn't use your brain. Who do you think would be safer on the road? Someone like me who asks questions BEFORE doing something or someone like you who doesn't think at all before they act? I'll leave that point up for debate as I head as far away from this forum and as far away from the trucking industry as I can.

wayneplatek Thanks this.
  11. swisschris62

Oct 14, 2008
    here, there, everywhere
    im not going to go back and forth here with you but...
    the original poster is a guy just like me who is goin got class feb 16th just like me
    we ( me and the original poster of this thread) both did TONS of research when it came to finding a good company to learn from and hopefully then with hard work and determination get into our own trucks someday
    questions are a good thing your absolutely correct...so is self confidence
    the original poster posted the exact letter which millis sends out to each person who gets a "congratulations future driver " letter
    id be more then happy to start a new thread and see how people felt about what i emailed you
    i stand behind what i say and dont run with my tail between my legs from my beliefs
    could i have sugar coated what i said ...yeah maybe i could have but then again your a big boy now and should be able to handle a little bit of critical thinking
    to run nfrom an industry and something you want to do because i came across a little harsh is about as ridiculous as waiting for someone in the world to answer a question on a forum
    why wouldnt you just dial the number and find out?
    if the original poster quit posting would you sit there and wait for an answer.... "get off my back mom, im trying to get a job but the original poster of this thread on the internet hasnt gotten back to me yet"
    when you really want to get a job and really want to work youll do just that...youll get off your butt and pursue your dreams
    i will again refer back to skydiving ...when we are climbing to altitude and we have a scared jumper on the plane asking every silly question under the sun ya know what we end up saying to tha person...SHUT UP AND JUMP!
    again good luck to ya in whatever you choose to do

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.