Much Respect for now on, LTL is kicking my But, 3 months now but the money is good

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by truckerlife74, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    It is true, once that trailer or box truck is empty that's it you are done there's no pick ups or anything like that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Capacity

Capacity Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2019
    Neenah Wi
    I talked to a OD driver the other day and he was happy as a clam over there at Old Dominion , he runs Appleton to Minneapolis and hauls freight one way and deadheads back to Wisconsin.
    Theres no warehouse shenanigans to do outbound or inbound and the freight is no touch linehaul of course.
    You don't hear much about OD you just see them once in a blue moon.

4. Last Time Around

Last Time Around Medium Load Member

Jun 9, 2018
    I love having my bed at my back....

FlaSwampRat and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  5. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Over the past couple of years, sometimes I have to wait for stops to arrive. I’ve gotten very good at sleeping in my day cab truck. I know where the comfy fat part of my arm and chest are it’s like a pillow and I take a quick rest of the eyes.

bzinger, speedyk, jmz and 1 other person Thank this.
  6. Cardfan89

Cardfan89 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Missouri
    No you just get the " we got a driver that's gonna run out of time without help" speech

7. Cardfan89

Cardfan89 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Missouri
    A spill kit makes a good pillow

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I drove an old International day cab for awhile and put plastic milk crate between the seats and could stretch out a little. Some of the drivers cut a piece of plywood that reached across both seats.

9. jcrack08

jcrack08 Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2014
    I did the LTL and foodservice thing for 4 years. Covered a 630 mile daily turn for a week (linehaul) and I have no clue how that driver did it. Overnight 8pm start running I-81. And those were tight schedules, nap time was almost impossible. The money is great, don't get me wrong..but I couldn't handle the sleep during the day thing.
    Then I got a nice day time bid run..and got sick of seeing the same road (I-81 again) day in and day out. I get bored easily, need different scenery and routines.

10. snowlauncher

snowlauncher Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Southeastern ID
    I get bummed when I have 20 stops and have to break down and hand unload 1 or 2 pallets of freight doing P&D.... I would definitely not want to unload an entire trailer by hand throughout the course of my day. Especially considering the fact that I would be getting similar wages to do it.... @Chinatown is right, unless you really want to keep going at your company, you should start looking elsewhere.

Mike2633 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  11. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    What, you never get backhauls?

jmz and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.