Multi-stop Pick Turns to Intrastate Delivery? What do you do?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by PE_T, Dec 27, 2019.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

What do you do when a broker has you pick up product at the 1st shipper with the intent of moving product to the 2nd shipper? It’s like a load within a load, but worse because this one requires an intrastate authority. The broker didn’t tell me about this.

The 2nd shipper told me to back into dock #2 because they “needed” the product. These guys took out the entire load of the 1st shipper. I knew there was something strange going on because the bills from the 1st shipper did not even list the destination name or address. Right now I’m empty and waiting for them to call me again so they can load me.

Farmerbob1 and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Sounds like you got snookered into a short haul at long haul rates .

4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I’m thinking that even if I confront the broker, he can just say he didn’t know what was going on. I guess I’ll just have to flag this broker.

Bean Jr., Farmerbob1 and rachi Thank this.
  5. Largecar359

Largecar359 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    I just want to make sure I’m following this correctly. You picked up freight at first shipper, went to 2nd shipper to pick up more freight for your originally brokered load, and they unloaded all of your freight from first pick? Now, your sitting in the door with a empty trailer waiting to get freight put on to head to your delivery? If this is the case then don’t just let it slide, there’s more money in this load for you. If I’m not understanding it correctly then forget what I’m saying.

Bean Jr., Farmerbob1, rachi and 6 others Thank this.
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You do not take anything anywhere without a clear idea of the destination.

I say you just delivered a load to shipper number two. Bill accordingly.

Farmerbob1, PE_T and roshea Thank this.
  7. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

That is correct, but the broker may just say that he was unaware of what the customer was doing, which is possible, but I personally think the broker knows this is going on.

It’s this time of the year when freight is abundant in the northwest because nobody wants to deal with the snow or possible road closures and chain laws. So these guys are getting creative without compensating the motor carrier appropriately. This brokerage company has bad reviews on DAT. I read some of them, but I decided to go along with it. I must admit the broker is paying well for this load.

8. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

Where did you plan to take this load without a delivery address? Every load requires a BOL to legally move down the road. Seem to be several things wrong here, and not just on the broker's or shipper's end.

rachi and PE_T Thank this.
  9. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Some BOL do not come with addresses or complete addresses, but it’s not a big deal as there are other ways to verify you have the correct load in your trailer. The PU #s and the case count matched the rate confirmation, and they loaded me with the product I was told. When I have multiple numbers I usually ask if they know if I’m missing any more PU #s. The guy told me he too was told three PU #s. Anyway, the load checked from my end, and I proceeding to the next shipper.

10. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

Still unanswered, without an address where did you plan to deliver this load?

Without a delivery address the driver should not accept such BOL until it has that information. But then again, what is trucking if not every conceivable excuse not to do things correctly ....

from CFR 49

§ 373.101 For-hire, non-exempt motor carrier bills of lading.
    Every motor carrier subject to § 373.100 shall issue a receipt or bill of lading for property tendered for transportation in interstate or foreign commerce containing the following information:

(a) Names of consignor and consignee.

(b) Origin and destination points.

(c) Number of packages.

(d) Description of freight.

(e) Weight, volume, or measurement of freight (if applicable to the rating of the freight).

Farmerbob1 and PE_T Thank this.
  11. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    I agree, broker pulled a fast one. I've taken trailers from the rail yards that had no paperwork, and I carried my own blank BOL's, and filled in "1 trailerload freight all kinds" and many times the delivery address was not the where it said it was going on what my boss told me. I didn't care, just get it off the wagon, backhauls paid peanuts anyway. I think lesson learned, maybe?

Bean Jr., starmac, Farmerbob1 and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.