**MUST READ** Diabetes and the DOT physical

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by jaysee, Jul 12, 2013.

1. jaysee

jaysee Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2013
    Richmond, Virginia
    I think what some of us are missing is that it takes more to treat diabetes than pills. It also takes LIFELONG proper diet and exercise. So even though we manage to get our physicals approved the companies have to fire us when we fail to demonstrate proper knowledge and control of our blood sugar. The federal DOT exemption is for proper lifelong management WITH INSULIN so typically it's not appropriate... I have had a tough road; I take jentadueto and metformin and have high blood pressure and cholesterol. Monitoring is expensive and the medications and doctors’ visits can be also... Trucking schools and companies "fool you" and "screw you" because they need to keep you "in the dark" to keep your health and physical STUDY accurate and also to keep you from running away from the job. This is a frustrating road... believe me I KNOW!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rebeloutlaw66

rebeloutlaw66 Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2009
    I take pills to control my sugar I've also lost weight so its not nearly as high, but I've never had a company check my sugar levels, as long as I pass my physical that's all that matters and as long as I only take pills and control my diabetes with diet and exersise I'm good

4. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    I see my dr 2x a year, I take metformin, I get a 1 year card....... simple

5. Gulf

Gulf Medium Load Member

Jul 12, 2013
    Why is this a "**Must Read**"?

6. Allan M

Allan M Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2009
    I'm curious, what is the highest A1C any of you have had and still passed a DOT physical.
    My last one was 8.3% and I'm guessing my next one will come in just under 8% with my physical due at end of August.

7. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    dot physical doesn't check AIC

8. Giggles the Original

Giggles the Original Road Train Member

well heres one for you....hubby was diagnosed back in 09 with diabetes.....was put on several types of meds

last dec (2012) his sugar started dropping too low...so he stopped taking his meds...

went and had his A1C chkd....5.5

went again in april 5.5.....his new doctor (not the one who orig diagnosed him), told him she doesnt believe he ever was diabetic...that she thought he must have had a virus when they orig. diagnosed him.....

so just because ur doc diagnoses you....i would recommend a 2nd opinion ....

he spent 3.5 yrs on meds he didnt even NEED....

9. bigdad7

bigdad7 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    Was able to bs myself and my physicals til it hit15.9 of course with insulin i,m a steady 7.2

10. LoboSolo

LoboSolo Heavy Load Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Highway 20
    The A1C gives an average level for the previous 3 months of blood glucose levels. AN AVERAGE. Does he still check his blood sugar 2 or 3 times a day with his meter just to make sure they're staying in a good range?

If your hubby was going through lows, those could have averaged out the highs he might have had at other hours of the day. High blood sugar isn't good for your body if it goes on very long. But it's the lows that can kill you, especially if they happen while you're sleeping.

I took care of a good good friend who was in her 30s and who had never taken care of herself or her diabetes. One of her hospitals had a diabetes training center and I made them teach me what to do as her caregiver. 4 years of hell. She had many, many incidents where her blood sugar hit 30 or 32 in the night. Sometimes I thought I was going to lose her. Other times, her sugar levels would hit 400.
    --------------------
    For co-drivers or those unfamiliar with diabetes or it's short term effects on someone, here's some basics:

Signs of too low blood sugar (70-90 range on a meter) can start with irritability or a need for some food. Get 'em fed something soon.

Signs of really low (50 to 70 on a meter) blood sugar in someone is typically very profuse sweating - their skin and clothes damp and clammy, and hair can be getting wet from sweat, lethargy and maybe some forgetfulness or confusion. They might not recognize it's happeing or be able to do something themselves about it at this stage.

If it's REALLY REALLY low, (30 to 50 on a meter) the patient can seem wacky and confused, or appear as a probable mental case, or unconscious. Their face and hair will be dripping wet. They need treatment and NOW, and they won't be able to do it themselves. A day of bedrest or straight to an ER afterwards if this happens.

For those who don't know, the immediate fix for someone with low sugar and who is conscious is a small glass of juice, or a couple of hard candies, or something else small with real sugar in it - not sugarless. Don't give them a can of Coca Cola, it's too much. After their blood sugar starts coming back up, usually in 20-30 minutes, maybe a couple of saltines with peanut butter, or half a sandwich, and a short nap. A real meal within 1-2 hours.

Following a really low blood sugar incident, it is typical for their blood sugar to then go zooming up to 200 or 300 in an hour or two, but don't panic. Their liver just kicked out a bunch of stuff to save them, and it will settle out a few hours later. The patient will be exhausted and should rest for at least a day after one of those kinds of bouts. Definitely not driving for the rest of the day, and probably best to go see a Doctor too.

If you have ever had evil thoughts about someone ordering a Double Whopper along with a Diet Coke, know this: for a diabetic, that Whopper won't bump their blood sugar very much at all, but drinking a real Coke will push it to the sky in 5 minutes. The fries won't help either.

Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  11. Allan M

Allan M Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2009
    When you already have a history of diabetes you have to either take a letter from your primary physician to the DOT Medical stating that your diabetes is controlled or you need to present a lab report with an A1C less than 3 months old.

baha Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.