MVR question..Citation for not wearing seatbelts

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Damaged_Goods, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Damaged_Goods

Damaged_Goods Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Ok so back in 2017 I got a citation for not wearing my seat belt in my Rig ( I had it off to adjust my seat cushion). Well wouldn’t you know it. It was national seatbelt safety week and a sitting trooper, I suppose, was specifically looking for that particular offense...
    Anyway. Im looking for a new job. And when they pull my mvr report. They’re gonna see that
    But it doesn’t say “no seat belt” . It say “improper equipment”. This is Pennsylvania by the way
    Now if I’m asked about it. I don’t really want to tell a new employer who is big on safety that I wasn’t wearing a seat belt. So is there something that I make up and say that can also mean improper equipment that doesn’t seem so bad. What are other things a cop might notice and cite me for under the improper equipment guideline....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    not a fully charged fire extinguisher?

missing a safety triangle?

no spare fuses?

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Yea, lets just start by lying to the company...

Answer what is asked truthfully, but don't volunteer information. What I mean by that is the guilty plea (and paying a fine is pleading guilty) is for equipment. Just stick to that, they don't need to know your life story.

5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    The truth shall set you free. I highly doubt they will deny you over a seatbelts ticket. They will lecture you probably. Just keep your seatbelts on

6. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    So tell them you got a ticket for no seat belt, you dont want to work for a company that turns you away for 1 seat belt ticket.

7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I have a vague memory that in recent years a seatbelt violation is seen by some company Safety N*zis as a big deal. I wonder what one of those gangster massive outside sun visors would be called if it was too big, extending too low? I wonder what the ticket would be if you had the wrong color over-windshield lights on the tractor? I'm thinking stuff like that would get "improper equipment" ticket.

8. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Just be honest and then you don’t have to worry about something coming back to bite you.

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    A trailer marker light was out. It was working when you did the pre-trip.
    Some companies look at seat belt violations as equal to running a stop sign and crashing into a bus load of nuns carrying orphans to Disneyland.

10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    That's because CVSA hates people that don't wear seat belts. It's the same number of points as running 11-14 over, and only 1 less than driving without a CDL

11. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Unless it’s changed here a seatbelt ticket doesn’t carry points and can’t go on your dmv record because it’s not a moving violation. So its on your criminal history. How messed up is that.

ZVar and buddyd157 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.