Mx13 exhaust manifold slip joints leaking

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Rounded_nut, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Rounded_nut

Rounded_nut Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2018
    As the title says, I asked the local dealer about it and they say they all do fairly quickly and that they are now coming already sealed and those still leak, so anyone here found a solution or have anything to say about sealing those joints? The manifold was replaced about a year ago under some campaign and the soot trail is nice and the whistle gets on my nerves.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    I do not have the answer for you, but I just had a training on these. The salesman said they were suppose to seal themselves up with carbon after some drive time.

I would also like to hear a real life solution!!

Rounded_nut Thanks this.
  4. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Normally with heat cycles they seal up. I always put hi temp rtv on them to seal right away. They have to be able to flex with heat cycles.

5. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    I had 3 replaced on warranty ... GET a carbon monoxide detector if you’re feeling tired or woozy lately .. Paccar product pull fresh cab air from under the hood AKA fumes into the cab..

Rounded_nut Thanks this.
  6. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Yes the manifold slips are a problem, and always have been. The MX started with machine fit tolerance at the slip which on the EPA 13 they almost always leaked at the front joint. Paccar claimed they sealed when the engine warmed which doesnt really float in the US cuz a leak is a leak according to DOT. Plus as pointed out earlier the fumes are are serious health problem.

There have been many updates to this exhaust manifold including adding the same J seals that Cummins uses. Also applying a high temp 2000* Loctite exhaust epoxy to the joints. After installing updated manifolds with the epoxy I have not seen them coming back.

Check with your local dealer on warranty coverage on some of these common failure components because Paccar has extended coverage out to 10ys 500K in some cases. They are really stepping up and taking care of the known problem issues for customers on the Paccar engine.

7. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    They were using the Loctite fixmaster putty high temp sealant and that didn't work more than 6 months and had done multiple times. Service writer would call and say, "we found you have a manifold leaking" and would politely explain they had just tried to seal it up when it was there 4 months ago and now leaking worse. Have a couple that they put new style with seal and they all seem to seep. I have noticed my worst offenders usually end getting turbo replaced because they can not make complete sweep. They must be sourcing from same place in China as Caterpillar! Full tilt has one for EPA 10 only so far. Jeff "jpaydirt" uses this to seal his Cat manifolds Pyroseal - RectorSeal

8. Goodysnap

Jul 12, 2017
    Funny you have had issues after the epoxy. The ones I have done have looked good and not returned. The old manifolds are almost always pitted and not reusable. New manifold with a generous amount did the trick.

Those factory CAT manifold diapers are comical to install. But once they are on atleast they dont leak for a while. Paccar had a rope seal and clamp that was out for a interim fix that was a joke. Never did put one on, waste of time.....

9. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Btw my experience was mostly cat,cummins,volvo, and detroit. Never worked on this issue on a MX. But they all do it at some point.

Sounds like they need to increase diameter however.

10. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    They looked good for awhile, but eventually they start leaking. Notice it more on ones that use engine brake more and really see those high sustained exh manifold pressures.
    Cat diapers, like all diapers they only can take so much poop! Always was surprised how Cummins seemed not to have as many issues with slip joint sealing even on ones that just slip together without seal or rings.

pushbroom and Goodysnap Thank this.
  11. Goodysnap

Jul 12, 2017
    [QUOTE="spsauerland, post: 9515367, ]Always was surprised how Cummins seemed not to have as many issues with slip joint sealing even on ones that just slip together without seal or rings.[/QUOTE]

Yea the slips dont leak.......just have to replace the gaskets every other oil change......lol

pushbroom and spsauerland Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.