my 25 week W-2 Proof an LPs getting bent

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Rollover the Original, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    I promised I would post my 2007 W-2 but the darn thing is missing so I'm posting my 2008 W-2.

Now there is a small problem with my 2008 W-2. I only was able to work 25 weeks that year due to a small medical problem called Cancer which kept me off the road for half the year.

Now I was a dedicated NYC driver hauling frozen chicken into the city doing multiple drops taking 2 days on the load then returning to AR and doing it all over again. Now Because of a few doctors appointments in the weeks prior to May 08 I didn't get to go to NYC the whole time I worked that year.

To you who want to prove to the rest of us that you "make money" doing a fleece program PROVE IT! scan your 1099 or your tax report so we can break it down.

Those of you who think you'll make that bottom feeder lease program work go look at that pathetic rate of pay they offer ( normally about $.89cpm + some pissy assed FSC!) and then figure your miles at 3000 a week. NO YOU DO NOT FIGURE MORE THAN 3000! Then take all those payments that you will have to make out of that PLUS you MUST deduct a medical insurance policy to cover your arse and your families! I paid my own while at this company at $189 a week! Don't forget to get a disability policy such as Aflack. Yes, you need it as workers comp pays NOTHING to keep your head above water if you get hurt on the job and this policy WILL make your payments on your equipment! If you're laid out on a bed injured who's going to pay if you don't have a $20,000 operating capital account? HMMMM! You want to be a business man, pay to play the game! If you play cheap you WILL fail. If you have no operating capital you've lost the game already!

Now I did not get any layover pay for the Monday night I laid over in NYC but I was making enough as a company driver that I didn't care as Sunday (the evening I arrived in Brooklyn) and Monday afternoons and nights were play time!

Now the company I gave 9 years total to decided they were going to go the L/P route COMPLETELY. That ment that all 100+ of us company drivers had the choice of going fleece or quitting. Well they were doing this while I was on FMLA and when I came back to work they were firing company drivers on any little infraction of the rules they could. Me, I was going to hold out untill they called the rest of us back in and gave us the final choice but because I came back to work to soon after radiation and chemo treatments I had an accident and was fired. Yes my fault but the thing is my company got greedy!

Having company drivers costs a company! But getting idiots to lease a truck pays! All a lease driver is, is a company driver with NO say in the operation of the truck but darn sure pays all the operating cost of the truck for the lessor! But because of pride they will tell us to the face we don't know what we're talking about! Sonny I've been doing this for 32 years! Do NOT try to BS an Old BSer! You can't!

Yep, ALL the costs! While the owner of the company is living in his big house on the hill along with 3 or 4 of the higher ups of said company and then the safety people and dispatchers and office people sit in comfort in the office and at home you're told not to idle your truck in heat or freezing temps, you can't tell them to turn the HP up in the engine or paint the truck or haul better paying freight if you find it, fuel where you want when you want if they haven't cut the card off for some reason, get repairs until some company peon says you can and might give you some of your escrow account, get all the pay coming to you because for some reason a BOL jumped out of the trip pak or a high dollar receipt went AWOL also, go home when you want or quit when you want (this is a good point, go read about some of these poor fools who got bent when they quit driving for these bottom feeders). Now do you really believe the hype that you are an O/O? ROFLMAO! You are no where close to being an O/O until that truck has been paid off! It's NOT your truck till the title is in your hand and the lien holders have removed the lien off of it!

Now that we've covered points that have been beaten to death in this Forum which way too many of you still refuse to see clearly and don't want to admit to after signing on the line thinking that it won't happen to you.

Now yes, some have paid off their leases.Thats SOME but the majority don't due to many reasons. Those that do probably have a team member with them or have no life or home out side of the truck which is one of the reasons they can make it. No outside payments going out more money going to the truck and your stomach!

But as you can see by looking at that half of a year W-2 of mine, company drivers do make better money and benefits than a lease purchase driver and has none of the headaches that L/P has! Plus the company driver doesn't have to BS a company driver with made up numbers trying to get the referral money to get the "smart" company driver to go L/P! ROFLMAO!

The day before I was fired as I was heading to the yard after the accident I stopped at our Springfield OH drop yard or terminal whatever you want to call it and as I was finishing up the D&H an L/P driver came over and was Bi**in about not getting any miles and dispatch were a bunch of yoyo's ect.

THEN this young pup sees that I'm a company driver and man his story changed! Why he's making $1200 a week after the truck! I looked him in the eye and asked him if IDIOT or STUPID was tattooed on my forehead!

He looked at me as if what I said went right over his head which it apparently did and I explained to him that he had just told me he wasn't getting any miles and 2500 was his best week in a month and I told him that, that piddling $.89cpm and $.23 cpm FSC at that miserable 2500 miles a week didn't come out to $1200 after that truck payment, insurance, tags, fuel, and escrow so quit trying to BS a Professional Bullhitter! Besides I've been here before the L/P program started and I know all the numbers and his aren't adding up!

Poor kid wanted to fight because I basically called him a liar which, well, he was and most of these poor kids that get sucked into the bottomless pit called the lease program become because they are embarrassed to tell the actual numbers or that they are getting screwed because they "believed" the BS after drinking the coolaid the recruiter or L/P driver fed them!

But go ahead and sign for that POS plastic FL or whatever! Part of being in business is the type of purchases you make on equipment. You buy a truck that has a resale value and the most leased truck out here is that POS Freightliner! Next is Volvo and on down but after the Volvo you will actually make something on the trade or resale! Go take your FL with 500,000 miles on it and see what you'll get on trade or resale! Then bend over! Yep that lease wasn't so good was it! Now if you're looking at that truck trader book those $20,000 to $40,000 you see are NOT what you'll get for that POS you have out in the parking lot! Thats what either a dealer is asking for after it's been run through a reconditing shop or it has no miles and a good maitainece record! Thats why we call it business! Like off a shoe string and that's what you'll get at the end.

Sorry to bust your bubbles but I'm doing this to save you from making a bad mistake! If most of you would refuse to be led astray with these fleece programs the company driver will return but don't turn the key for these 1970-1980 rates the moron companies are offering! Want to be a O/O then save your money, get approved for a load and have a good sum also saved for that operating capital!

Now if you don't believe that I was off for half of the year go here to my My Space page and click on blogs and I have a 23 chapter journal I wrote telling about my fun time of 2008! http://www.myspace.com/RolloverRiderPGR
    Now if any of you are told by a doctor that you have cancer or have a friend or family member told that nasty word and need some guidence that the doctors can't really help you with give them this link or contact me and I'll be glad to help you along on this bumpy road!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rollover the Original

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    WOW! Been up for a week viewed 108 times and not one LP has tried to tell us they made better money! Silence is golden isn't it!

jakebrake12 Thanks this.
  4. jakebrake12

jakebrake12 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    No doubt man.. You're pushing me down the road with that W2..

5. Powell-Peralta

Powell-Peralta Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2007
    So, you only worked 25 weeks and grossed 43K? Is this correct?

6. Rollover the Original

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    No, 25 1/2 weeks, and only because of having to stop to get radiated and chemoed half to death! As I said go to either my My Space page and read the journal or I have it on blogspot also under "Rolloverriderpgr" or the title of "Is there life after cancer" and read about 2008 up until the accident on Dec 2, 2008 and after! Or just look at my profile here and figure from my join the forum date and number of posts I pretty much live on this computer because if I was running what I did up until April 2008 I'd only have 500 posts and not that silly number I have now! The only other way I could verify it was if I had the pay stubs but those got shredded after a year in the files. That used to be in one year a pay stub went in and the one in the back hit the shredder. I can say that 2007 was the best year i've ever had since I sold my last truck back in '91

The information is accurate and not inflated. I made this thread as I've read hundreds of these stories and listened to thousands over the years about LP drivers biting the bullet on these flease programs and want them to see where the money really WAS as trucking is changing for the worse now as I found out why O&S went to the full LP program. And it's like we've been saying all through this forum and on the CB and around the counters at the truck stops...There's MORE money in the LP programs for the COMPANY than in company drivers. Why do you think so many companies are leaning towards the LP programs? More money for them not for the driver as you can see in my W-2 and wonder why driver pay is going down? It's NOT because there is no food being grown that's for sure! Food freight did NOT take the hit that some of these companies want you to believe. Yes building materials, auto, clothing and other freight did take a hit but not food! Did you stop eating? Did you stop feeding your kids and wife? Reefer unit sales did a lot better but not much than flat bed and dry van sales during this recession which should say something also but that's another thread.

If driver rates would get back to pre 2008 pay then the numbers I show would be the norm but for some reason these companies think that "doing you a favor" means making $.75- $1,45 a mile off of you is fair then by all means go for it but please don't come in here or key the CB or cry at the dinner counter about getting bent! A fair mileage pay is all we expect but the owners think they will go broke over night or won't make all the money in the world if they do! It's greed straight up! The rest of what I have to say needs to be in the strike thread which I have also started a thread on but it has to do with punishing states and cities and the government not companies and I'll figure out how to do that before to much longer not that it'll do any good!

7. Powell-Peralta

Powell-Peralta Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Well, that's pretty dam good if you only worked half the yr and grossed 43.

i will post my w-2's (maybe) soon, if i get around to it.

8. Frenzy

Frenzy Medium Load Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    try these numbers.

It works out to be about 4 days of driving a week. Home 3 days out of 7. (Unless something goes wrong).

I am not getting hazard pay, nor do I get paid extra to cross a bridge.

It's a simple life, but easy. Greatest risk is from Bambi.

I am a lease operator, not a lease purchase victim.:biggrin_255:

Attached Files:

9. Rollover the Original

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    And there is the difference being an LP and an owner/operator! what are your tag, insurance (medical and disability), your income taxes, and any other out of pocket cost you have so these guys can get a better handle on whats actually going on! But those are good numbers! I figure after all the rest you netted $74,000+-. Thanks for adding this as it's a great show and tell! Or actually for some of these guys a put up or shut up! LOL

OH what were the total miles? it's covered up by the X in the corner and thats the main figure they need!

10. rookietrucker

rookietrucker Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jul 15, 2007
    TEXAS
    When you click to view that members pay stub, click on the image again after it opens up. It should open a new tab in your browser and you can see the number covered by the X >> 99,646

11. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    Yup, that is the big thing. He owns the truck, or at least the payments are not coming out of that payment.
    The LP guys are paying 500+ a week to drive that truck in just the truck payments. So if you deduct 24,000 from that net it will get closer. Plus those company's normally have more nickle and dime junk.
    Also 15% or so of that gross needs to be paid in quarterlies.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.