My Adventures at Atlanta Truck Driving School

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by keb1209, Aug 25, 2008.

1. davidcboyd33

davidcboyd33 Light Load Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Forsyth, GA
    "I know of at least 25 people in the classes while I was there that failed over and over"

This is a huge problem, both the fact that these students are failing over and over again, and the fact that there are so many people in these classes.

I have found that it makes more sense to enroll smaller numbers of student in class (6-9 students) and graduate 95-96% of them, than to enroll 20 people in class and graduate 60-70%. More than anything else, students need quality time behind the wheel of the truck and one on one instruction on the backing range.

You can check with the Dept. of Driver Svcs here in GA to find information on the pass/fail rates of certain schools.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SuchatruckinLady

SuchatruckinLady Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2009
    GA
    And that is why you shouldn't make broad, absolutely negative statements like, "I can't believe that anyone would spend 8-10 weeks of full time training just to get a CDL."

4. davidcboyd33

Apr 24, 2009
    Forsyth, GA
    You are absolutely correct. In my defense, that was a facecious statement in direct response to the broad, negative generalization "I can't believe that anyone would pay for training in Georgia." I'll be more careful of my words in the future.

5. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Many that take 8 to 10 weeks to TRY to learn to drive won't cut it as drivers . CDL school graduates are not drivers . That's why the good paying companies won't hire them . Most will quit or be terminated within 6 months if they get hired at all .

6. Rodeo_Joe

Rodeo_Joe Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Blackstock, Ontario
    Well it'll get u back on the road sooner if u get pulled in the scales for a brake outta adjustment. It can also work against ya in the same sense. but as far as I'm concerned it never hurts to know as much as u can. I think it might only allow u to adjust the manual adjusters tho.

If you dont want someone to know u have it then just keep it in your pocket. Dot might hold it more against ya cause u know even more bout the brakes an why are they outta adjustment to begin with?

7. Rodeo_Joe

Rodeo_Joe Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Blackstock, Ontario

it takes 8-10 weeks to learn to push a pedal an turn a wheel? ok What exactly are they waistin there time teaching these people cause too many of them come out not knowin that much from my experiance. I got a friend just graduate from one way more north an hes not very confident an thats kinda a worry..... Dont get me know hes a good driver. But I'd expect better outta someone who pays that much to learn something.

8. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Automatic slack adjusted shouldn't be adjusted and DOT knows it . If they are out of adjustment they are defective or some other brake component is and you will be OOS until the defective part is replaced . Unless you carry all the spare parts and tools with you being certified is a waste of money .

9. davidcboyd33

Apr 24, 2009
    Forsyth, GA
    Absolutely true! And probably won't be good drivers for many, many months or years.

I feel it is up to us, the experienced drivers, to raise em up.

And as rough as some people talk on here, I know that most of these drivers have taken their time, while walking back out to the truck after dinner to help one of these new drivers to get backed in to a tight hole, taught one these drivers to adjust their slack adjusters and even spent hours on the CB giving general advice.

TIMEWEASEL Thanks this.
  10. keb1209

keb1209 Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Decatur, GA
    I haven't been on this site in a week or so, I had no idea this thread had been updated...LOL

I am the OP, and I just want to re-iterate that the school I went to in Atlanta has a high graduation rate.... and the reason for this (IMHO) is that they are the only school to offer one-on-one instruction. You are guaranteed a certain amount of hours behind the wheel (and I unfortunately can't remember how many hours it is) in your program, and 100% of those hours are just you and your instructor, in the cab.... This goes a long way to ensuring that you are learning what it takes to pass the road test. No other school in the Atlanta area offered this at the time I was doing my comparisons.

Also, the tuition is $3300, but since I paid up front, I qualified for a $300 discount, so I paid $3000. This is about on par with what the other schools in the area offer.... but I felt like I got far more for my money than what I would've gotten elsewhere because of the one-on-one instruction, and the self-paced classroom portion. If you are self-motivated and can benefit from self-paced programs, then I highly recommend this school. You will get out of it what you put into it, the same is true for trucking in general.

And to address what another poster said; just because I paid less than what I would have at a technical school doesn't really mean that I received less. Some students do better in a classroom environment where everyone moves at the same pace, but others prefer to move faster, (or even slower) than the rest of the class. Again, at the school I attended, I got exactly what I put into it.... and eight months later, I have no regrets. They did exactly what they said they would do for me, and I showed up and followed the schedule that I had worked out with them and I learned everything I needed to pass the test (on the first try, btw) and then some.

The purpose of these schools is to help you learn how to safely operate a class 8 commercial vehicle in order to earn a CDL, which will then open the door to employment as a commercial driver. These schools DO NOT intend to teach you to become a truck driver. Training programs offered to new CDL grads by the actual carriers, as well as subsequent experience on the road will turn you into a truck driver.

Just my $0.02 FWIW

davidcboyd33 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.