My Advice To Those Trying To Get into Trucking

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by grenade668, Aug 24, 2012.

1. grenade668

grenade668 The Mack Dog

Feb 16, 2012
    New Church Va
    Hello to all,

I'm Lone Wolf nice to meet you,I just want to say it has been a wild ride for the last 14 years.I can offer some advice to you guys and gals trying to get started and that is this,you need to realize that Trucking isn't a easy job at all and what I mean by this is simple,if you are ready to ride in a truck as a team while you do your training then good because that's the deal and then depending on your experience they can expect you to do 40-60,000 miles with a trainer.be prepared to drive at night while the trainer sleeps and be prepared to drive 11 hours for your shift and not being able to stop at least 5 hours in your shift.the truck keeps moving so sleeping is hard to do also truck stop food is expensive also be prepared for 15-25 minute showers and no time to shave or brush your teeth,be prepared to be treated like the bubble gum on the bottom of someones shoe by the trainer dispatch and the shipper and receivers so there you have it that's the basics and then you get your truck and learn that you need to manage your money because you can make good 1 week and starve the next,Trucking is a way of life!!!! This of course is O T R or over the Road all 48 states and Canada (The Best Trucking Job is Local) you get to be home!!!! Not much home time OTR they lie to you about getting home but to get the experience you need ,this is what you have to do!!!!

I recommend that you find a community college that offers a C D L training course and get your license that way because if you go through their training you will owe them a year of your service and if you forfeit then you will have to pay for the training. When you obtain your C D L it is up to you what you want to do but,I recommend trying to find a local job with a trash company or concrete and maybe hauling logs some companies will hire you and train you.If this isn't a option then I recommend Prime,Swift and Schneider they are the best to get started with to get that experience you need to better yourself.

The truth is simple getting started isn't easy and Trucking itself isn't easy your going to pay your dues so roll up your sleeves and do it! There is no easy way out! Your training will not only consist of just driving the truck and learning how to operate it safely but you have to learn how to trip plan which is mapping your route how many hours it will take you to get there and where you can stop to take your breaks, shower etc without being late to the shipper and to the receiver,you have to account for weather and road conditions such as snow and low clearance bridges.

I recommend you do long haul because there is more truck stops compared to running the north east where truck stops are few and far in between meaning that if you don't find rest area or truck stop by 5 pm you will have to park on the side of the road and risk getting a ticket by the local friendly law enforcement and he would love you for it.Don't lease unless your business minded a lot of these companies will take all your money and laugh at you!!!
    stay away from C R England and furthermore do your research on the internet if too many people are saying bad things they must be true!!!

These are just some guidelines that I can give you,most Local companies will hire you with 6 months experience but do the year if you have to and some good advice make sure you have a job before you quit.research the companies!!! call them,ask questions then make your move!!!good luck!!! if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

and just to say no criticism allowed I'm not here to argue just to help!! Thank you!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hellraiser78

Hellraiser78 Light Load Member

Jul 30, 2012
    PA
    I totally agree with you. Also, if they add up their hours and figure it all out, they will find out that they are actually making about $6 an hour.

4. grenade668

grenade668 The Mack Dog

Feb 16, 2012
    New Church Va
    You are correct make more working for McDonald's flipping burgers!!! if you are learning go company, stay away lease and L/P lease purchase, get your experience go Local=steady paycheck and home time.

5. -insert name-

-insert name- ATM squishier

Jul 12, 2012
    SOMEWHERE
    ...and again someone dissing lease.
    Not trying to be a ###hole, but you have to know what your doing.
    Why does EVERYONE dis lease? Is it because you don't know what the hell you're doing?

6. white ghost 57

white ghost 57 Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2012
    monroe nj
    i cam goto work for ffe after shool and training my state thaye say 5-6 days on 1-2 day off they driver are making $1000 a week does that sound right

7. j3411

j3411 Medium Load Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Buckner, Il
    I don't think they are knocking lease's because they don't know.

Most lease deals are nothing more than renting your job. The companies dangle some O/O bs in front of someone who is new, has no back-up or start up money and they fail. The driver does, not the company because they still have the truck for the next person.

It takes allot of knowledge and discipline to have success in a lease deal.

RALPHMANBEARPONY Thanks this.
  8. grenade668

grenade668 The Mack Dog

Feb 16, 2012
    New Church Va
    because there are companies that will take the shirt off your back and do it in a way you wouldn't even know until it is too late,this is aimed at new drivers not experienced,let's say this if you were green just starting out don't know nothing would you lease if you answer yes then I feel sorry for you.and I do know what I'm doing but I won't get further in this little circus.

9. SAMMY6969

SAMMY6969 Medium Load Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Hey whats up guys...i hv 10 mnts being a flatbed steel hauler..clean record too...love flatbeding...wow i had no clue the bs out there..got fed up put my notice in ,last day was july 16 2012... Figured i would jump on a local gig..im right out side chicago no problem rt.....wrong......i hv been turned down so many times...mostly for not hving a yr behind the wheel..companys tell me they hv no doubt i can do the job 10 mnts flatbeding..nut. But. Here it is..are insurence companys wont allow it...so 35 days later im signed up to go back out on the road in a van now...had no idea about this ...hardest part i beleave in this truvking life is the amount of time you spend alone..at tyms it just sucks...just being honest....

10. PST

PST Light Load Member

Sep 7, 2009
    USA
    Sounds like you and me have traveled down the same road and we have both been around the block a time or two. You are right-on about everything you say and I drive Local and wouldn't have it any other way. Thanks for saying what needs to be said to prevent a lot of heart aches and trouble. GOD BLESS all that attempt to perform this profession!

grenade668 and chipnbugs Thank this.
  11. grenade668

grenade668 The Mack Dog

Feb 16, 2012
    New Church Va
    I didn't say all companies and how often do you get home,it's all preference if you want to be out there then that's you but,in my opinion the better Job is the one where you can have a life (family,Wife, Kid's being home)and how long you been out I know guy's that stay out 4-5 week's to make a decent living and keep out of the red a - settlement is a bad one and you can make a 1000 this week but what about next week that depends on your dispatch.again this is aimed at a driver starting out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.