My career over before it began? Accident and ticket?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by RyanRD, Jan 21, 2019.

1. RyanRD

RyanRD Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Long story short... I'm a month away from graduation for a CDL A and B licence. Last week I ended up in my first minor accident ( a 'fender bender' as police labelled it ) with the accident entirely my fault. I was slow to see a yellow, failed to halt at the red and got into a minor T-bone. No injuries and no major damage to either vehicle. Now, with that on my record or soon to-be (court date is next month) and speeding ticket from year a half ago... I feel as if I messed up too much for a fruitful career as driver and been told so. Am I wrong?

Additional info: The state of both the ticket and accident was WI and in my own personal vehicle.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    You might still be good to work in sanitation somewhere. Those port-a-potties aren’t as bad as people think.

4. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    No it's not over for you. You were in your personal vehicle and not driving a cmv. You should be ok. Just keep it between the lines from now on. When you get your cdl, protect it with your life, drive safe and slow from here on out. You should not have too many problems..you have never had a DUI, thats a big disqualifier...

tscottme and Texas_hwy_287 Thank this.
  5. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I had 2 failure to stops, one for a RR crossing (both within 3 years) on my MVR in my personal vehicle when I got my current job. You are still hireable.

tscottme, Chinatown and Lepton1 Thank this.
  6. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I think during CDL training they teach you to stop at stop lights.

tscottme and Lepton1 Thank this.
  7. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Naw...

...just tug on the air horn and blow on through.

8. RyanRD

RyanRD Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2019
    You know, I won’t lie and say I’ve thought driving sanitation rather it be that or garbage pick-up. So focused on work with freight hauling or OTR. Honesty, thanks for mentioning that.

9. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    HIRE A LAWYER !

bottomdumpin and jsnell Thank this.
  10. RyanRD

RyanRD Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2019

I won't lie or make excuses of my screw up and but you're absolutely right. I'll protect my CDL with all I got. I never plan to get DUI, not one to drink or substance use to begin with.

Lepton1 and smokey12 Thank this.
  11. RyanRD

RyanRD Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Thanks for sharing! I just hear often from driver in WI, that with it's 5-year point system that it's either have clean record or forever be passed over. All that talk has basically sparked all my worries.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.