My dad is looking to get into trucking.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Mcfist, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Mcfist

Mcfist Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2018
    I've been trying to nudge my dad into the trucking industry. It's been something he has always wanted to do and he's getting worn out doing manufacturing. He's got a good driving record but has a DV on his record from 7 years ago. How likely would it be that he could get into trucking?

I've been looking into CDS truck school, but what would be wiser, to go with a truck school and have a company pay off the tuition or just sign on with one of the training companies?

I've got a little more than a year of flatbed OTR experience but I never dealt with either the truck schools or training companies. I have no idea how they work or where the better training is.

We're looking to end up doing team driving so any suggestions as far as a good company to train and team with would be welcomed as well.

Thank you,
    Luke

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hey Luke, welcome aboard. 1st, I wish MY old man would have taken an interest in trucks. He HATED trucks,,anyway, a member here named Chinatown will most certainly be able to help. I'd try a company, a GOOD company that would take a team, with a year OTR, you can go almost anywhere today and maybe dad can ride along and get experience that way. Chinatown would know, ( it's probably like 3 in the morning in China) He's the best. Good luck.

Mcfist Thanks this.
  4. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    I'm having a brain fart.
    What is a DV?

5. Mcfist

Mcfist Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Domestic Violence. I believe they've told him he can get the record vacated.

jammer910Z Thanks this.
  6. Dan.S

Dan.S Light Load Member

May 10, 2017
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Which state is your father's domicile? I'm guessing Washington, since you said CDS driving school. Anyway, he's hirable. If he's in Washington and graduates from CDS you two can team with Brown Line or Lynden Transportation or TWT Refrigerated Service.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    201, Mcfist and Dan.S Thank this.
  8. Mcfist

Mcfist Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2018
    That's correct, Washington.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Brown Line : Brown Line is recognized as an industry leader in the transportation of temperature-controlled, less-than-truckload (LTL) and truckload service to customers throughout the U.S. and Western Canada.
    TWT Refrigerated Service - advertises team pay is $.60 cpm split.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Dan.S Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Your father may have to get the DV charged purged to run through Canada; I don't know for sure. Maybe there's a waiver. I'm not familiar with the rules concerning that. The trucking company should know.
    Here's Lynden freight lanes:
    [​IMG]
    Main Hiring Locations:
    • Alaska
    • Pacific Northwest
    • Texas

Dan.S Thanks this.
  11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I think Nancy Baer hires teams out of Washington.
    [​IMG]

Dan.S Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.