My Detroit 60 will drop engine temp to 50 idling in cold weather.

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by TOMBSTONE1954, Mar 2, 2014.

1. TOMBSTONE1954

TOMBSTONE1954 Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2014
    My Freightliner has a 60 series Detroit and I have no trouble with it until I get into under 20 degree weather sitting still idling. It may go a full day idling AND ENGINE TEMP STAYS ABOUT 125 TO 140. But sometimes it will drop to 50 degrees so I have to idle it up to stay at 140 or so. But then when Im done and leave out, it will shoot up to max temp and all the lights come on and I have to shut down. Its not getting very hot. I start it after just a minute and the temp drops back to normal after 2 or 3 minutes, then I take off again and it shoots up again. Any ideas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckereddy

truckereddy Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2014
    highway usa
    have you tried checking your thermostat? When my heads started going bad it would cool down a lot during idle so I think your heads are good if it doesn't happened all the time.

4. TOMBSTONE1954

Mar 2, 2014
    I havnt check the thermostat. It only happens under 25 degrees or so. I don't beleive it is actualy overheating.

5. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    My best educated guess (and I'm very uneducated) would be the temp sensor maybe has a loose connection of moisture in the plug that's freezing etc. My temp sensor needed replacing and hiw I knew was it would sporadically go from overheating to under heated

6. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    Get a Thermostat. Make sure its a 190 degree one. They are simple to replace but you'll need some antifreeze to replace the lost portion. Meanwhile, put some cardboard in front of it and check the fan to see if it is running all the time. Possible the clutch is bad and fan is stuck in drive mode.

Ajadgill Thanks this.
  7. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Do you get heat from your heater fan in cab. Could be a sensor problem. Your wires when they get cold shrink, this could give your ecm a false reading.

8. TOMBSTONE1954

Mar 2, 2014
    Yes I am getting heat, I will replace the temp sensor and Thermostat tomorrow and hope it fixexs it. Otherwise Im not going anywere it is below 30 degrees.

9. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    I do not know what year your engine is. mine is a ddec 3 95 year. the temp gauge on dash gets it reading from the sensor in the thermostat housing. found this out with a continuity tester. the water temp sensor in the side of the head is what sends temp to e.c.m. the sporadic reading could be a bad ground, or a sensor going out. check the wires at the sensors. they break & sometimes are holding on by 1 or 2 wire strands. on mine when I change my thermostats, I drain all the coolant in 1 gal jugs so I can reuse. you will loose a lot of coolant if you take thermostats out without draining most of the coolant. this again is on my engine, don't know about yours & how different it may be. if you know your engine, like I know mine, the smell, the feel, e.t.c. & know it is not getting hot & coolant level is normal. than it is most likely a wire, I.M.O. could be a common ground used on several sensors, or like I said bad wire connection at one of the sensors would be where I would start.

10. TOMBSTONE1954

Mar 2, 2014
    Mine is 2009 with regen crap.

baha Thanks this.
  11. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    if i idle my s60 in 20 degree weather it needs to be at 900 rpms to stay at 120 coolant. They don't run hot while idleing. To save bull gear you should idle around 900 anyway. Why it overheating i dont know. Are you sure your coolant mix ratio is correct?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.