My driver ran out of fuel

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by afterburn25, Apr 13, 2015.

1. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I get fuel and tell my drivers to get fuel every day reguardless. Lot of places we run on those 2 lane black tops there is no where to get fuel with our cards or a comm check. That being said they carry a card with 1000 a day on it and 300 of my cash in there pocket. Gimme a receipt it gets replenished. So my guys have no excuse for running out and yes the last one that did I was ready to let his butt walk home. Not for running out but for deliberately slamming the door of our truck. Everybody makes mistakes from time to time. Barring mechanical error as pointed out running out is a rookie mistake. I pay a rookie like a rookie. A good hand gets top pay, and laughed at when he makes a rookie mistake. It's all in fun but the best medicene and worst punishment he can get at the time.

rank, truckon and icsheeple Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. afterburn25

afterburn25 Medium Load Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    yes that happened to me once I was on my way home for my home time I just started with that company Star Transport small company and was my first load they sent me home with a load to deliver on Monday I stopped to buy fuel and someone forgot to turn fuel card on and on the weekends there is a 36 hour window on the weekends where nobody is in the office so i tried to make it home I made it on empty parked on a hill. monday i went to start it it didnt want to start right away i had to release breaks roll back a little bit fuel sloshed around and then it started. those situations do happen and i understand but this guy drove 700 miles from North Carolina to Louisiana without fueling up come on that could have been avoided.

4. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    Wow, 700 miles?? I get that out of one tank. Sounds like a small fuel tank. Even my cheap ol company truck got me 1200 miles between fill ups. What kinda truck is this?

5. afterburn25

Jul 7, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    its a 2006 t2000 KW only holds 150 gal 75 per side its the truck in my avatar pic

6. icsheeple

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    Thats a small amount of fuel for sure. If he gets a heavy load and poor fuel mileage, say 5mpg average, that's 750 miles before bingo. If I had such a small fuel capacity I would just make it a habit to fuel every day. Heck I fueled every day anyways running reefers with 2 100 gallon tanks. Always had to top off those dang reefer tanks. One day I fueled five times shuffling wagons around all low on fuel.

Oh geeez, now I'm getting bad flashbacks from my reefer hauling days. Block it out, block it out.

7. afterburn25

Jul 7, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    but hes been running truck for a month so he knows how much fuel it holds but im used to it every company truck i ever had i had to fuel everyday tanks were about the same. has its advantages i can scale more weight lol not alot more but ive scaled out little over 46,000-47,000 lbs with no room to play

8. icsheeple

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    If I owned a small fleet I too would want small tanks on my trucks. More advantages for me, like scaling out more weight, and less fuel theft if you get robbed. Plus I think it would be easier to track. Of course the company driver has too fuel everyday, but that's the job.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.