My experience and struggle with diabetes

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by LimpyLegs, Nov 14, 2018.

1. LimpyLegs

LimpyLegs Medium Load Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Midland,VA
    Hello my fellow truck drivers. I would like just a few moments of your time to share a brief story about my complications with diabetes. Around summer time of 2017 I was diagnosed as a type II diabetic after failing my urinalysis for a job I had applied for based in Dallas. The doctor told me my body was spilling Ketones.

After going back to Virginia, the doctor at the hospital told me that my blood sugar had spiked up to 499 mg/dl, and I had an A1C of 8.3. I had to spend the night in the hospital under an insulin drip in order to initially correct it. The next day my doctor put me on Metformin, Apedra, and Lantus. I had to take a Metformin every 12 hours, Lantus every 12 hours, and Apedra before every meal.

Needless to say I began dieting, and watching my blood sugar. I saw some decent improvements in my A1C as it began gradually lowering to a 7.0. I had dropped my weight from 315 down to 280 at this time. But I still wasn't happy with those numbers, and began doing more and more research on anything I could do to try and get my DOT card back, and revitalize my pancreas back to a healthy state.

During my research I've found more than a few articles saying that CBD oil would actually help to reverse the effects of diabetes, and in some cases actually "cure" the disease. I began using it in it's recommended dosages while continuing a healthier life style, and my medications. After about 6 more months I went back in for my A1C, and to my own surprise it had actually dropped to below a 5.6 with a total weight loss of 70 lbs.

My doctor has now taken me off of insulin, and I am able to drive truck again without having to go through some absurd political loophole with regulations. I am now considered what they call a "controlled diabetic". I still check my blood sugar on a semi regular basis for fear of it spiking, but as far as I can tell it stays within normal ranges.

I'm not going to say my use of CBD oil was the only contributing factor to this reversal, but it certainly did help. I encourage any driver who is struggling with pre-diabetes to at least look into it. I also encourage anybody that thinks Marijuana should stay illegal to consider this post, and how an extract from that "evil" plant helped me to stay alive and gain my career back. This took me a commitment of almost 2 years to accomplish.

Just because I think Marijuana should be legalized does not make me an irresponsible person. It means that in order for me to continue using CBD oil, the people who are growing Marijuana need to be allowed to continue to grow Marijuana. Because without Marijuana, there would be no CBD oil.

x1Heavy, Jazz1 and gokiddogo Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. I glide 47

I glide 47 Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2017
  4. LimpyLegs

Aug 26, 2008
    Midland,VA
    It's a Marijuana plant extract that's still being clinically researched. There are a ton of articles about it's numerous health benefits, here's a link to one that you can start with.

CBD oil: Uses, health benefits, and risks

I glide 47 Thanks this.
  5. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    BFAFC800-4942-4EEE-9A5F-60A37FDEEE46.jpeg This 16 year old Weim we fostered is on CBD oil for severe joint pain. It’s made activities much easier along with weekly massage therapy and accupuncture
    Glucosomine was just not making a difference as it was our first choice.
    CBD offers a long list of relief from various ailments.

BigBob410 and LimpyLegs Thank this.
  6. I glide 47

Jun 3, 2017
    Read the article it mentioned type 1 not type 2 good luck in all your adventures

7. LimpyLegs

Aug 26, 2008
    Midland,VA
    Type II is less severe than Type I.

Jazz1 Thanks this.
  8. I glide 47

Jun 3, 2017
    Weekly massage therapy I'm in ,how's about the happy ending

9. I glide 47

Jun 3, 2017
    I've had type 2 for 30 years

10. LimpyLegs

Aug 26, 2008
    Midland,VA
    Your point being? is this some frail attempt to discredit or troll me?

Jazz1 Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas

No one here is saying you are a druggie using CBD as medicine.

First off, I feel that God has placed all the things on this earth via Nature to grow or be accessible to us, the things we can benefit from. It is our own laws, flawed and otherwise that is the real problem. The more we explore non traditional medicine the more the Governments go crazy passing laws criminalizing or otherwise making stuff illegal.

Arkansas was one of those. Within the last 30 months flat as I examined various plants turned to powder to take in dose for liquid management of pain outside of any formal medical doctor, Arkansas quickly passed laws banning, making illegal making felonies of anyone who dared to mail order the stuff. Trapping a certain number of people who have a supply that will run out. They will have to leave the state and go to a friendly state that has done none of the enforcement stuff to acquire more.

To be honest I have not been able to do much of anything regarding alternative medicines such as CBD. Enforcment in my area is particular severe. So I am not the problem.

With that said. I celebrate any path forward you managed to take to lose weight, improve your numbers in the blood etc and work on defeating the Diabetes two on the battlefield of your own body. Maybe eradicate it entirely and return to trucking.

My pa has diabetes two late in life despite a careful life eating just so called healthy. (Meat and taters, go figure) until one of his organs got somewhat disorganized and put him into diabetes. Im not all certain how that works. But he seems to be doing ok. Relatively speaking.

That means I am watching it myself. Taking blood numbers and so on as a manner of gathering information even though I don't have anything like diabetes. God only knows I am tested for that too. IF you combined a diabetic coma with loss of breathing to excessive pain medicine you have a dead person (That's me) in a hurry if I was a diabetic. That wont be too bad considering what the future holds.

Do whatever you think best to take care of yourself. But consider this.

When you DO have control again of your body and regain what you think is good health without medicine or CBD or anything. Wait a year before you try to get back into Trucking or engage in any Work Position that is defended by a Public Safety drug test etc. You follow me?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.