My experience with CDL Trucking School

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Adelmo, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Adelmo

Adelmo Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Hey Fellas!

Happy New Year first of all !

So, as planned, I went in to speak to a recruiter at Roadmasters here in Tampa on New Years's eve with the intentions of enrolling, completing the 3 weeks and obtaining my license. The recruiter let me in on the fact of,"if we don't get a hire letter we won't be taking you in" after learning that I would have to give notice at my present job in order to attend the 6 days a week schedule they have. He crammed down my throat Werner Trucking and by the look of things they (Werner) have a big investment on the joint (free pens, calendars, etc.). I thought this idea would suit me after weighing the pros & cons of leaving my job and being unemployed for 3 weeks. Proceeded with the necessary paperwork, scheduled a urine test, background check and left, satisfied I might add. Within 2 hours I got a phone call from the recruiter saying ,"Werner are not taking you because of your previous felony" We are talking about a 30 year old charge btw, and proceeded to give me phone numbers of other trucking companies. I applied to 2 out of the 3 given to me and have been declined employment.
    I refuse to believe my criminal history had anything to do with being turned down. I tried calling the recruiter who was, as I percieved it, defensive and short. Thinking of cancelling with them and moving on, or, am open to your recommendations and thouhgts on the matter. Needless to say, I am disillusioned and completely bummed over this experience....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Werner owns Roadmasters school.
    Which companies have you applied with, since Roadmasters let you go.

4. Adelmo

Adelmo Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Stevens & Convenant. There is my last phone number (from the list given to me) of May Trucking....

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You're hirable somewhere; may have to attend private cdl school. The state of Florida might pay for it.
    Did the application at Roadmasters require you to list a felony that's 30 yrs. old or did it just show up on a background check?

Lonesome Thanks this.
  6. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Go to Sage in Fort Pierce.. You’ll have your CDL in 4 weeks. No BS and everyone there is decent.
    Rent a motel if it’s too far for commuting.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. Adelmo

Adelmo Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2019
    ....just got off the phone with the financial lady saying I'm withdrawing my application. Something just didn't seem crisp or straightforward in our communications. Sad. Really wanted this. She tried giving me a pep talk and said May Trucking are the most lenient in hiring. Something just seem right with this experience and Im going with my gut on this one

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    May Trucking is ok. Plenty of drivers been there for years.
    Here's more:
    Swift Refrigerated – Sign On for the Trucking Career of a ...
    https://driveswiftreefer.com
    swift refrigerated takes you where you want to go. More Hometime. More Dedicated Routes. Consistent Freight. Large Retail Customer Base. Academy Opportunities – Earn your CDL in as little as 3 weeks! Full Benefits and 401k. Earn more per mile as Reefer OTR Driver (compared to Dry Van)
    I think the contract at CRST is 9 mos. That's doable for anyone that really wants to work..
    Schools - CRST International
    https://www.crst.com/drive-for-crst/schools
    As the nation’s largest team carrier, CRST trains thousands of new drivers every year—and we do it better than anyone else. You can earn your CDL A license through our training facility in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, or through the independent driver training schools we partner with across the country. Classes start weekly and last two to four weeks.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Will Roadmasters let you back in if you have pre-hire letters?
    If so, we can give you names of 2nd chance companies that might give you some pre-hire letters.
    On future job apps., don't list Roadmasters because you were not an employee there.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  11. Adelmo

Adelmo Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2019
    ...So I'm gonna put this out there: Could it be that these trucking companies have declined me employment because I have under 2 years overall driving experience?.....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.