My first couple months with Shaffer / Crete

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Farmerbob1, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Metallica88

Metallica88 Medium Load Member

Nov 27, 2017
    20181101_090223.jpg
    any tips for keeping a cat stimulated on the road and keeping the truck clean as well?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Laser pointer exercises at night before bed. Catnip might be a bad idea. Very Energetic cat in the truck when you are driving could potentially be bad.

Buy a bunch of different toys that can hang on strings where the cat can easily get at them without being in your way. Swap out the toys regularly so they have something new every now and then.

I've never had a cat in a truck, but I grew up in a cat family.

Metallica88 Thanks this.
  4. Skootlez

Skootlez Light Load Member

May 19, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    So I’ve got a couple more questions. Needless to say recruiters hate me.

1. If they do end up saying I’ve got to use a Cpap, would they furnish it then take it out of my check?

2. Is their detention pay actually guaranteed? I still remember those 34s at Tyson or 9 hour Lineage logistics dock times. Stevens still hadn’t paid me a dime of my detention when I was there.

3. Is orientation paid? If so, how much?

I’ll probably have more before the days out. I just don’t trust recruiters answers.

Metallica88 Thanks this.
  5. Metallica88

Nov 27, 2017
    My questions would be
    1) does the company have any dedicated contracts? Am I eligible?
    2) idling policy?
    3) inverter installation policy? APU in truck?
    4) is per diem built-in to pay?
    5) what about breakdown layover and detention pay?
    6) how does the pay period work? Do they use Transflo and does it cost you? Do bills have to be sent in by a certain day to get paid during a week?
    7) general home time policy? Where do they want the truck when I go home?
    8) what miles are paid and what are not?
    9) when am I working and not getting paid?
    10) if there is bad weather that I feel unsafe will I get penalized for Parking until I feel it is safe?
    11) what reasons could I be disciplined or fired for?
    12) how many miles a week will I average?

6. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    1) As far as I know, you pay for the CPAP, one way or another. I had one already so I do not know how Crete handles it, exactly.

2) Every shipper or receiver is different. Some of them give Crete issues about detention, but in my experience, most of the time, if you are on time for your appointment, you get detention if you are kept more than 2 hours on a dock.

3) I think orientation was paid, but it was not much. I did orientation in Wilmer, TX. We were put up in a fairly nice but not ritzy hotel (La Quinta) which had a better-than-normal continental breakfast for free, our lunches were provided, and we were also given small gift cards for dinner (didn't pay for the whole dinner, but it was something.)

7. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    1) Yes. There are dedicated accounts. I'm on one. There are many more.
    2) The truck has auto-off to prevent excessive idling. They do monitor idle time, but it is not hard to stay within the range that they want to in.
    3) You can have an inverter installed in a older truck, and newer trucks all have them, as far as I know. Mine is a 1200 watt inverter. I think new trucks get 1500 watt, but may be 1200. The company has no trucks with APU's. We have opti-idle. The truck engine turns on and idles while the A/C cools the truck, or if the batteries get low. If the oil temperature gets too low, the engine will turn on to heat the block.
    4) IF YOU CHOOSE then Per Diem can be separated from pay. I have opted for this.
    5) My truck has been mostly good. I have never even needed to apply for breakdown pay. I've never sat unloaded and not driving long enough to think about layover pay either. Detention pay is pretty reliable if you do what you are supposed to, though some customers are a pain in the butt about it.
    6) We can use Transflo kiosks or the app. I think there is a tiny charge every week. A couple dollars. We are paid weekly on Friday. You have to have your loads turned in (Transflo) by Thursday of the prior week to get paid those miles the next Friday.
    7) I believe that home time policy is 1 day for every 7 on the road for OTR. I may be mistaken. I normally stay out 42 days and stay at home 5. I always park my truck in the terminal, so I do not know what other options there might be for home time.
    8) Loaded and empty miles are paid. Rand McNally practical miles. If you have to go out of route for a service, fuel, washout, whatever, document the out of route miles and you get paid for them.
    9) You are (normally) working and not getting paid whenever you are on duty not driving. If this is due to service or being detained, or whatever, then breakdown or detention pay might be due to you. Fueling, checking into a shipper, checking out of a shipper, doing your PTI's, or similar everyday type duties are not paid.
    10) I have never heard of anyone being penalized for shutting down in bad weather. I have shut down early a couple times myself, and heard zero complaints.
    11) I'm sure you can be fired for all sorts of things, but if you do your job like a professional, avoid drugs, and don't make an ### of yourself or threaten people, Crete won't fire you.
    12) The miles per week that you average will vary, but I rarely ever hear any Crete driver getting less than 2400 or so miles per week. When I was running reefer,OTR, I had maybe a handful of weeks under 2500 miles in a year. A dry van should be able to do better. Right now, I am averaging over 3000 miles per week, but I am on a drop and hook account.

Metallica88 Thanks this.
  8. the white knight

the white knight Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2017
    You guys can PM me and I’ll chat with you. I’ll just give you my cell and you can call me. I started back in August and I’ve been driving for two decades. I was the same way with the questions. Feel free and I’ll tell you like it is. The good and the bad.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  9. the white knight

the white knight Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2017
    636.4 today. Not too shabby:))

Metallica88 Thanks this.
  10. ghostcookie

ghostcookie Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2018
    Tennessee
    Or rental mailbox. You don't have to list "PO Box" on some of those.

Farmerbob1 and Metallica88 Thank this.
  11. Metallica88

Nov 27, 2017
    I've never heard of a rental mailbox. What is that exactly?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.