My first couple months with Shaffer / Crete

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Farmerbob1, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Well, that sweet-looking week has gone to Hell.

Freezing rain conditions on the interstate delayed me a couple hours, so within 5 minutes of my informing dispatch of the delay, I was reassigned another load, despite still being able to make it to the shipper on time with 8-2 splits.

I traded a 1300 mile single stop trip for a 800 mile three-stop, three-day trip, with two stops, two hours apart, between Dallas and Fort Worth, in Monday AM rush hour traffic.

Then I get to Lincoln and the trailer license plate that should have been waiting, wasn't. There was no other functional empty reefer on site. With several messages arranging for the license tag in my Qualcomm, I was willing to take it into Lincoln, but those same messages would screw me over if I left with it again and got stopped.

So, I could not make the arrival time for the shipper for the terrible load.

Good, in a frustrating way, right?

Wrong.

Now I get to go into that shipper 6 hours later than I was supposed to arrive, burn 5 hours off my 14, instead of starting with a full clock, and meet the load requirements anyway.

It IS possible. If everything goes perfectly. But the way this week has been going, the chances of that are slim at best.

It's going to be one of those weeks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bmack

bmack Light Load Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Hate when the miles slip through your fingers like that. Good luck man.

4. ilikepizza247

ilikepizza247 Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2016
    For an experienced driver, which division would you guys recommend between dry van and reefer? I like the longer lengths of haul that come with reefer, I like the West Coast, and I live in Florida where dry van freight, unless things have changed in the last decade, tends to be difficult to come by. On the other hand, dry van doesn’t have the headaches that come with reefer, there’s substantially more drop and hook, and the deliveries and pick ups tend to have windows rather than set appts, which I love. I’ve heard much more negativity about the reefer side than the dry side, as well. I’m torn.

Metallica88 Thanks this.
  5. Onadetour

Onadetour Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Bay and Creek
    I couldn’t ever see how reefer was worth the headache, but your situation might make it somewhat. I don’t get to Florida all that often but when I do they always seem to get me back out without sitting. West coast is rare for me but currently heading for Tacoma WA. I really dislike grocery warehouses and the whole lumper thing so there’s less of that but more live loads than I thought.

ilikepizza247 Thanks this.
  6. ilikepizza247

Jun 10, 2016
    You’re not the first one to tell me that the west coast is a rare sight for Crete & Shaffer drivers. I don’t like that at all.

Steel Dragon and The Kraut Thank this.
  7. The Kraut

The Kraut Medium Load Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Land of Enchantment
    I see lots of them in Cali every trip. Not so rare ;)

8. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    There are advantages and disadvantages to both sides. From what I have seen, the dry vans average a lot older. Reefers are sold off sooner. This means more wear and tear on dry vans, meaning more stops for service. The places I have been into while driving reefer seem to be more roomy any easy to get docked in than a lot of the dry van loads I have taken. There are exceptions. Many of them.

Reefer fuel and washouts are generally not much of a problem if you get used to making sure your reefer is ready for the next load. There are parts of the US where washouts are a pain, but mostly there are washouts around most DCs or major cities.

Pay per mile for reefer is higher.

This is coming from a Shaffer driver that mostly hauls reefer. Only every now and then do I get a dry van load. I don't turn down loads though, unless I cannot meet load requirements.

9. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    From what I have seen and heard, there are no real OTR planners at Crete. OTR drivers are planned by the regional planner who plans the area where the driver is at the moment, and they seem to gravitate towards sending you back to your home region as a default.

This means that the Georgia to Washington state load I am on now was planned by the SE planner, but after I drop, I will be planned by a NW planner. If they send me to Arizona, then I get planned for my next load by the SW planner. Eventually I will find my way back to the SE, at which point I will likely spend a lot of time in the SE, NE, and eastern plains until I am fortunate enough to get a good load again.

10. ilikepizza247

Jun 10, 2016
    You also waste a lot more time at grocery warehouses, you have many more occurrences of running out of hours before you’re empty and not having anywhere to park on site which leads to many more hours of service violations, there is zero flexibility in when you pickup and when you deliver due to set appts, you’re not given as much time (and often not enough) to get to the delivery because the idiot planners think a reefer engine doubles as a jet pack, your stress level (compared to that of a dry van driver) is through the roof as a result of everything mentioned above, and considering that you’re running fewer miles than the dry side (according to everyone I’ve talked to) you’re not making any more money. A higher CPM per mile means nothing unless you are also getting the same miles (or more) than those making less per mile. Ask anyone who has ever worked at Heartland. I don’t recall the exact starting CPM at Heartland but I think it’s close to $0.54-$0.55 a mile, and those guys are lucky if they get 2200 miles in a week. Anybody who’s been around longer than 5 minutes knows higher CPM rarely equates to bigger checks due to lower miles. You’re paid more per mile because you have to put up with a LOT more BS, which is why fewer miles does NOT = not having to work as hard.

Oh, and a dry van never has to waste time at a truck stop shop because a belt broke, or a carrier dealer because the reefer either died, won’t start, or isn’t staying up to temp.

And to top it all off, it’s a rare occurrence to have to go on a wild goose chase to find an empty dry van.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  11. radioshark

radioshark Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2012
    I’ll tske my 3-4 hours in a grocery warehouse vs 300-500 mile loads loadibg and reloading every day.

Zaros Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.